Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:48 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:London Business School (int)
 Q50  V41
WE 1: Research
WE 2: Corporate Strat
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
Just got the Admission packet through Fedex. Quite nice.

Reviewing the Survival Guide though provides a rather shocking dose of reality! Suddenly, the London Business School admissions offer makes me feel frighteningly poor!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Chicago(Ding), LBS (Admit), CBS, Fuqua
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Got the portal login info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Congrats to folks admitted in R1. Well done !

I joined this forum late, but have been already preparing towards LBS Rd 2. I am ready with draft versions of my essays but badly need a second pair of eyes to provide critical feedback. Would appreciate if someone is willing to offer some help.

My profile - 8 years of experience in IT including 2 years of heading USA based start-up in India. Currently working in London as Senior Consultant for past 1.5 years. LBS is my first choice as I simply love this school for its diversity, location and reputation. Excellent academics, decent GMAT, diverse experiences (from an individual contributor to Director, Manager and now consultant) and good community experience as well.

My strength - Start-up experience, raising start-up from ground zero to a team of 25-30 people. Headed India development centre for couple of years, oversaw operations, launched product and conducted press releases with substantial media coverage. Played multiple roles of Director, Manager, HR, Product manager and possibly everything that was needed to get the company running. Moved to another start-up in a broader role, headed 3 products, formulated product strategy and managed teams.

My Weakness - Part of very common pool. IT male, India with a normal GMAT score.

My Aim - Entrepreneur in Technology Sector. In short term, I may join some product based IT companies before jumping onto launching my own Technology firm.

Thanks and regards

Originally posted by avatar2010 on 24 Dec 2009, 07:06.
Last edited by avatar2010 on 24 Dec 2009, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats to folks admitted in R1. Well done !

I joined this forum late, but have been already preparing towards LBS Rd 2. I am ready with draft versions of my essays but badly need a second pair of eyes to provide critical feedback. Would appreciate if someone is willing to offer some help.

My profile - 8 years of experience in IT including 2 years of heading USA based start-up in India. Currently working in London as Senior Consultant for past 1.5 years. LBS is my first choice as I simply love this school for its diversity, location and reputation. Excellent academics, decent GMAT, diverse experiences (from an individual contributor to Director, Manager and now consultant) and good community experience as well.

My strength - Start-up experience, raising start-up from ground zero to a team of 25-30 people. Headed India development centre for couple of years, oversaw operations, launched product and conducted press releases with substantial media coverage. Played multiple roles of Director, Manager, HR, Product manager and possibly everything that was needed to get the company running. However, this experience was an eye opener to how badly I needed MBA. We ran out of funds and had to downsize. That's when I moved to another start-up, headed 3 products, formulated product strategy and managed teams.

My Weakness - Part of very common pool. IT male, India with a normal GMAT score.

My Aim - Entrepreneur in Technology Sector. In short term, I may join some product based IT companies before jumping onto launching my own Technology firm.

Thanks and regards

You have a very strong profile with diverse experiences, you dont have a typical IT aka software programmer profile. That said, make sure that this strength comes across in your essays and resume well. I am an Indian/IT/Male myself and was successful in making the cut. What is your GMAT score, if it is around LBS average, you should be fine especially with the excellent academics you mention.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
humblewinner wrote:
You have a very strong profile with diverse experiences, you dont have a typical IT aka software programmer profile. That said, make sure that this strength comes across in your essays and resume well. I am an Indian/IT/Male myself and was successful in making the cut. What is your GMAT score, if it is around LBS average, you should be fine especially with the excellent academics you mention.

Thanks humblewinner for the encouraging words. I am trying my best to get the essays out on time and with the versions that truly reflect my achievements and goal.

I have gmat score of 690 and GPAs of 3.9 in both undergrad and post-graduation. I was awarded gold medal in UG and "GE scholarship" for excellence in academics and leadership. I hope these could cover up for my GMAT apart from my essays (if I get them perfectly right).

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi prashok,

I have a question about recommendation letters. LBS stresses on getting one from current line manager or colleague. Is it possible to submit references only from previous employers rather than from current colleague / employer ? I guess answer is NO, but still want to get the info verified.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V47
Send PM
Hi prashok,

I have a question about recommendation letters. LBS stresses on getting one from current line manager or colleague. Is it possible to submit references only from previous employers rather than from current colleague / employer ? I guess answer is NO, but still want to get the info verified.

Thanks

hi avatar2010, i can answer that question for you. yes, you can submit references from previous employers only, and LBS appreciates the fact that people aren't always in the position to tell their employers that they are applying to b-school. however, not having any references from your current position, especially if you have been in that position for a while, might be a disadvantage. I think they would encourage you to try and obtain a reference from a colleague or a client of your current company, if you really need to avoid letting your bosses know. my advice though is that if you can, try to get current line manager reco - though 'legal', it might be a disadvantage not to have one.

good luck!!
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
happy Christmas all LBS admits and applicants (to those who celebrate it)!

anyone received an email regarding annual fund scholarships? I have! a very nice x-mas present indeed! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
vgeri wrote:

anyone received an email regarding annual fund scholarships? I have! a very nice x-mas present indeed! :)

wow! Hearty congratulations! Can you tell us more and when did you receive the email?
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
humblewinner wrote:
vgeri wrote:

wow! Hearty congratulations! Can you tell us more and when did you receive the email?

hello humble, thanks very much! was quite surprised as I remembered reading somewhere that they would be sending those out sometime mid Jan. I got the email on the 23rd afternoon, about the same time as the portal log in. i think the admin office is closed until the 4th now, so I guess they would resume sending out more schols after that. I certainly hope a few more gmatclubbers will be getting some more of those emails in Jan!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vgeri wrote:
Hi prashok,

Thanks

hi avatar2010, i can answer that question for you. yes, you can submit references from previous employers only, and LBS appreciates the fact that people aren't always in the position to tell their employers that they are applying to b-school. however, not having any references from your current position, especially if you have been in that position for a while, might be a disadvantage. I think they would encourage you to try and obtain a reference from a colleague or a client of your current company, if you really need to avoid letting your bosses know. my advice though is that if you can, try to get current line manager reco - though 'legal', it might be a disadvantage not to have one.

good luck!!

Thanks Vgeri,

I was initially planning to arrange reference from my colleague in the current company, defnitely not line manager. However, my colleague, whom I had been constantly updating about my MBA plans, had to go on emergency vacation due to a personal emergency and he won't be back before the R2 deadlines :( Sadly, he won't be able to access internet during this duration.

Hence, I started thinking of other alternative. Additionally, I had previously asked my former colleagues to provide me references and they know me a lot better and could back up my start-up experiences with anecdotes. My current company is a consulting firm. Not sure if I should wait for my current colleague to be back sooner or approach my former colleague. Should I ask LBS about this? :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
hi all admits...

i'm currently working on essay 5 (150 words)... did anyone write more than one significant experience?

thanks!
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
vgeri wrote:
humblewinner wrote:
vgeri wrote:

hello humble, thanks very much! was quite surprised as I remembered reading somewhere that they would be sending those out sometime mid Jan. I got the email on the 23rd afternoon, about the same time as the portal log in. i think the admin office is closed until the 4th now, so I guess they would resume sending out more schols after that. I certainly hope a few more gmatclubbers will be getting some more of those emails in Jan!!

Thats great! What is the scholarship amount ? Enjoy your holidays :-D
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
boeinz wrote:
hi all admits...

i'm currently working on essay 5 (150 words)... did anyone write more than one significant experience?

thanks!

I did not.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance,General Management
Schools:Ross (R1-Admit)
Send PM
LBS asks this question in the data box-
We encourage applicants to consider the impact of studying for a London Business School programme on their family and friends. Who have you discussed your study plans with - and how did they respond? Feel free to give the names of any alumni, students, faculty or staff of London Business School (as appropriate).

How am I supposed to answer this question. Am I supposed to write how my family members/spouse feel about my MBA plans? In approx how may words did everyone else answer this question.
What confuses me is the last part of the question ....first they ask about family and then in the next part about alumni? Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Ari123 wrote:
LBS asks this question in the data box-
We encourage applicants to consider the impact of studying for a London Business School programme on their family and friends. Who have you discussed your study plans with - and how did they respond? Feel free to give the names of any alumni, students, faculty or staff of London Business School (as appropriate).

How am I supposed to answer this question. Am I supposed to write how my family members/spouse feel about my MBA plans? In approx how may words did everyone else answer this question.
What confuses me is the last part of the question ....first they ask about family and then in the next part about alumni? Thanks in advance.

Ari123, As far as I remember this was an optional question used only for survey purposes and has no effect in reviewing your application. I had skipped this one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance,General Management
Schools:Ross (R1-Admit)
Send PM
Thanks humble winner for the answer. I have one more question.... LBS asks for reason for leaving a particular job and also for reason for joining this job.My reason for leaving job X is same as reason for joining job Y. Sorry if my question is confusing. I mean they are asking for toooo many reasons and frankly I dont have that many reasons. Any tips on handling that portion. Whats with LBS no other school asks for that many questions.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  21   22   23   24   25   26   27  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts