Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Must Have a Recommendation from My S [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Must Have a Recommendation from My Supervisor

MBA admissions committees often say they understand if an applicant does not have a recommendation from a supervisor, but do they really mean it? Even if they say it is okay, if everyone else has a supervisor writing, not having one would put you at a disadvantage, right? Wrong.

We estimate that one of every five applicants has an issue with one of their current supervisors that prevents them from asking for a recommendation. Common issues include the following:

• The applicant has had only a brief tenure with his/her current firm.
  • Disclosing one’s plans to attend business school could compromise potential promotions, bonuses, or salary increases.
  • The supervisor is “too busy” to help and either refuses the request or tells the applicant to write the recommendation him/herself, which the applicant is unprepared to do.
  • The supervisor does not believe in the MBA degree and would not be supportive of the applicant’s path.
  • The supervisor is a poor manager and refuses to assist junior staff.
  • The candidate is an entrepreneur or works in a family business and thus lacks a credibly objective supervisor.
We have explained before that admissions offices have no reason to disadvantage candidates who cannot ask their supervisors to be recommenders over those who have secured recommendations from supervisors. What incentive would they have to “disqualify” approximately 20% of applicants for reasons beyond their control?

Therefore, if you cannot ask your supervisor for his/her assistance, do not worry about your situation, but seek to remedy it. Start by considering your alternatives—a past employer, mentor, supplier, client, legal counsel, representative from an industry association, or anyone else who knows your work particularly well. Then, once you have made your alternate selection, briefly explain the nature of your situation and your relationship with this recommender in your optional essay. As long as you explain your choice, the admissions committee will understand your situation.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
GMAT Impact: How to Solve Any Sentence Correction Problem, Part 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: How to Solve Any Sentence Correction Problem, Part 1

With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Manhattan GMAT has developed a special process for Sentence Correction (SC). Some students and classes have seen it, but here we are sharing it publicly! Read on and let us know what you think.

The Five Steps for Sentence Correction

The full article on the MGMAT blog goes into more detail on each step.

• Take a First Glance
  • Read the Sentence
  • Find a Starting Point
  • Eliminate Answers
  • Repeat Steps 3 and 4
As with any process, you will sometimes decide to deviate for some good reason. For most questions, though, you will follow this basic process.

In this post, I briefly introduce each step, but the full article goes into more detail, so make sure to follow up by reading that.

• Take a First Glance
The idea here is to take a “holistic” glance at the entire screen: let your eyes go slightly out of focus (do NOT read!), look at about the middle of whatever text is on the screen, and take in three things:

– the problem type (in this case, SC)

– the length of the whole sentence

– the length of the underline (or the length of the answers)

This first glance will help you formulate a plan of attack.

2. Read the Sentence

Next, read the sentence as a complete sentence, not just a collection of potential grammar issues. Pay attention to the overall meaning that the sentence is trying to convey.

3. Find a Starting Point

4. Eliminate Answers

When you spot something you know is wrong, immediately cross off answer (A) on your scrap paper. Check that same issue (and only that issue!) in the remaining answer choices; eliminate any answers that repeat the error.

5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4

SC is a bit annoying in that your initial starting point often will not allow you to cross off all four wrong answers. You usually have to find multiple starting points.

Once you have dealt with one issue, return either to the original sentence or to a comparison of the answer choices, wherever you left off.

What to Do When You Are Stuck

In general, once you get stuck, give yourself one shot to “unstick” yourself. Try comparing different answers to see whether anything new pops out at you. If not, guess and move on.

Half of the battle on the GMAT is knowing when to stop trying. Set explicit “cutoffs” for yourself—rules for when to let go—and stick to them!

Next Steps

Got all of that? Good!

In the second and third parts of this series, I will give you some drills that you can use to build the different skills needed to get through a sentence correction problem. Until then, go ahead and practice the overall process until you internalize the different steps. Good luck!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Contextualize Your Educational Objectives [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Contextualize Your Educational Objectives
When tailoring their essays to specific schools, many MBA candidates do not go far enough to demonstrate a clear and understandable connection between themselves and their target programs. Offering school-specific information is good, but you must go beyond merely mentioning the particular resource(s) that appeal to you—you must add context for your claims.

What is the difference between a mere mention and providing context?

Mention:

“With a focus on entrepreneurship, I will participate in Columbia’s Entrepreneurial Sounding Board process. Further, I am attracted to classes such as ‘Small Business Finance,’ ‘Real Estate Marketing,’ and “Introduction to Mergers.’ I also plan to join the…”

Context:

“With clear plans to launch my start-up immediately after graduating from Columbia Business School, I look forward to testing my ideas through the Entrepreneurial Sounding Board; I find this opportunity to meet with faculty and gain critical feedback and mentoring invaluable as I strive to refine my business plan and learn more about how to source investments…”

In the first example, the candidate shows an awareness of the Entrepreneurial Sounding Board but does not provide the context necessary for the reader to fully understand how he/she will use this resource; therefore, the mention is entirely superficial. As a result, it is easily forgettable, unconvincing, and impersonal. The applicant has seemingly not taken the time to reflect on this resource and how he/she would use it to progress toward his/her stated goals. The candidate then goes on to list the classes he/she plans to take and essentially succeeds in little more than cataloging resources rather than offering a reasoned consideration of how the school’s offerings are necessary.

The second example better explains exactly how the candidate will use the resource mentioned; the applicant has clearly done the necessary homework on the school and truly grasps how Columbia Business School will satisfy his/her academic and professional needs. Because the latter example is more informed and serious minded, the reader can be certain that the candidate has a set path and a clear plan to achieve specific goals.
Send PM
Mission Admission: Be Sincere—the MBA Admissions Committee Will Believ [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: Be Sincere—the MBA Admissions Committee Will Believe You
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

Candidates are often skeptical about whether MBA admissions committees will believe their stories. After all, is anyone available to corroborate that what made the difference in a particular situation was truly you—that you had that particular innovative idea? The response to this concern is pretty simple: if what you are describing actually happened, do not worry about credibility. You simply need to write about your experience with sincerity. If you can offer details about the events as part of a narrative, the story will unfold logically and truthfully and will have its desired impact. Conversely, if your story is basic and vague, it will not come across as compelling, regardless of its veracity.

An equally important point is that you are innocent until proven guilty. The admissions committee will not assume that you are a liar and read your application seeking proof of facts that are in doubt. The admissions reader will take your stories at face value, recognizing that truth is sometimes stranger than fiction and that strong candidates will stand out on the strength of their experiences.

In addition, if you accomplished something truly remarkable, you can always ask your recommender to emphasize this in his/her letter. This does not mean that the committee is seeking proof and that if something is not highlighted in a reference, it will not be believed. Still, your recommender can play an important role in legitimizing certain accomplishments.
Send PM
So, You’ve Gotten into Business School… Now What? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: So, You’ve Gotten into Business School… Now What?

In this new blog series, our mbaMissionCareer Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches, click here.

Congratulations on your acceptance to business school! Take some time to celebrate this exciting accomplishment, but do not forget to spend some time preparing for the recruiting process before you arrive on campus.

After years of working with hundreds of MBA students, we wanted to share our five key preparation steps that will allow you to hit the ground running and excel in the recruiting process:

Step 1: Engage in thoughtful self-discovery to understand your professional interests and skills. This takes time and requires you to be introspective about what drives your satisfaction and motivates you. Below are a few recommended activities to help you identify your career goals:

• Use CareerLeader. Developed by two Harvard professors, this online assessment analyzes your interests, skills, and values to identify potential career matches. This tool can be an excellent catalyst for contemplating what is really important to you in your career.
  • Create an Excel spreadsheet containing the following information: name of previous employers/roles, what you liked most about each role, what you liked least about each role, what you learned in each role, and why you left. Review and analyze your notes for trends and themes in your interests and skills as well as in the type of work or work environment you desire.
  • Review each bullet on your resume. Think about the environments you liked most (or least). Write down the skills used for each bullet. Analyze your findings for any themes or key insights. Look at both the type of work you want to do and the skills you want to use.

Step 2: Learn about jobs that match with your interests, and make a list of your eight to ten potential target companies. A lot of resources can help you with this step; try the following:

• Read our mbaMission Career Primers. We cover such jobs as investment banking, asset management, marketing, real estate, tech, and consulting.
  • Review the LinkedIn profiles of people who have your target roles. Analyze their previous roles, accomplishments to date, and skills. Before you sleuth around LinkedIn, be sure to turn off notifications so people will not see that you have viewed their profiles (look under privacy settings).
  • Educate yourself on your target industry, companies, and products. Read trade publications (e.g., TechCrunch, Shop.org, GMA SmartBrief); many of these are available as free email newsletters.
  • Consider if there are ways for you to gain the necessary skills for your target role(s) before starting business school. Perhaps a pre-MBA internship or an online class? Perhaps volunteering for a task force or a new assignment at work?
Step 3: Define your personal brand. Use the following ideas to brainstorm how to talk about yourself in a compelling way to your target audience:

• Write down your six to eight biggest accomplishments, and look at what those accomplishments say about you, your skills, your motivators, and your interests.
  • Talk to current colleagues about their perceptions of you and your value add.
  • Draft a one- to two-sentence “headline” about who you are and what you would bring to your target role.
  • Update your resume and LinkedIn profile to appeal to your target audience. Read our blog for tips about resume and LinkedIn profile writing.
Step 4: Learn about the recruiting process for your target companies. Consider the following actions:

• Make a list of questions you want answered, and figure out the best venues for receiving your desired information.
  • Attend “Welcome Weekend” at your business school, and talk with current students who interned in your target area of interest. Learn about the support available from your school’s career services department and professional student clubs.
  • Connect with friends who are currently attending business school to learn about their recruiting experiences.
  • If you have told your employer about your plans to attend business school, talk with current colleagues who are MBA alums for their perspective on their MBA recruiting experiences.
  • Read the “Careers” section on your target companies’ websites. Look into and apply to pre-MBA programs or fellowships offered by your target firms.
Step 5: Update your network on your plans to attend business school and your career goals. Tackle the following steps:

• Make a list of all your friends, former/current colleagues, mentors, and business school recommenders. Include where these contacts currently work and where they worked in the past as well as any areas of knowledge or expertise. Consider with whom it makes sense to re-connect for a career conversation.
  • Look at your network on LinkedIn and see who your connections know. Ask for warm introductions and/or seek their advice on your career goals.
  • Prepare for these conversations. Are you seeking information, advice, or referrals? How do you want to talk about yourself? Check out our advice on networking in our mbaMission blog.
Have you been admitted to business school? If so, do you want to get a head start on defining your career goals? Do you need help preparing for job interviews or learning how to effectively network with your target employers? Or maybe you want to be a top performer in your current role but are unsure how to maximize your potential. Let an mbaMission Career Coach help via afree 30-minute consultation!
Send PM
Professor Profiles: John Morgan, University of California, Berkeley, H [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: John Morgan, University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business

Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on John Morgan from the University of California (UC), Berkeley, Haas School of Business.

John Morgan has been at UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business since 2002, and he won the Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2006. In an admissions podcast (“Game Theory and Strategy”), Morgan discussed how he has grown his “Game Theory” course, which studies how nations and industries interact strategically with each other. Morgan recommends that all Haas MBA students take the course, which is designed to cover all functions and industries, in their last semester at the school so that they apply the “mind-set to think strategically” to what they have learned in the program. Morgan expects the teams in his class to be ready to defend their strategies, but plenty of laughter is part of the course as well—as it reportedly is in all Morgan’s courses. An alumna even commented via Twitter in 2012, “Loving John Morgan’s Disruptive Technologies seminar. Great comedic timing.”
Send PM
Beginning Your B-School Application Year: Facebook Live [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beginning Your B-School Application Year: Facebook Live

You want to enroll in business school this year but your applications and GMAT prep are far from complete—or maybe you have not even started the application process yet. With the New Year behind you, now is the time to get a head-start on crafting your best applications. Where do you begin?

mbaMission has teamed up with our exclusive partner, Manhattan Prep GMAT, to bring you a one-of-a-kind presentation that answers all of your application questions—and introduce ournew and exciting offering, exclusively for Manhattan Prep students!

Join us live on theManhattan Prep GMAT Facebook page next Tuesday, January 24, at 6:00 p.m. Eastern for a special presentation on assessing your MBA profile and acing the GMAT exam. The presentation will be delivered by two experts on MBA admissions and the GMAT, and you will have the opportunity to ask them any questions you have.

Meet the experts:

mbaMission Senior ConsultantLiza Weale attended MIT Sloan for her MBA and joined Bain & Company after graduation, where she worked with clients across industries, while also guiding her associate consultants through the MBA admissions process. Liza later served as executive director of Kaplan Test Prep’s GMAT and GRE business lines, where she led all strategic, marketing, and curriculum development efforts. Her true passion lies in helping people “market” themselves in their MBA applications.

Joe Martin is a GMAT instructor atManhattan Prep GMAT. He has earned not only a 99th percentile GMAT score (an eye-popping 790), but also 99th percentile scores on the LSAT and GRE. He is what we call a “triple threat” in test prep. Joe majored in astrophysics at Colgate University, where he led tutoring sessions for his peers. Now, Joe has found his dream job teaching full time, serving as an instructor manager, and helping to develop Manhattan Prep’s interactive video lessons, “Interact.”

So, join us on Tuesday, January 24, live on theManhattan Prep GMAT Facebook page for a special opportunity to harness the wisdom of Liza and Joe. Even if you are not in a rush to apply this year, feel free to tune in for future reference. We hope to see you there!
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Winning the Golden Briefcase [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Winning the Golden Briefcase

USC Marshall MBA students won the Challenge for Charity competition in 2015.

When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

Founded by a Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) student in 1984, Challenge for Charity (C4C) is a well-attended annual fundraiser that brings students from nine business schools across the West Coast to the Stanford campus to compete in such events as billiards, bowling, and basketball to raise money for Special Olympics and a local nonprofit organization (each participating school selects a nonprofit organization in its area to support). Students earn points by winning the competitions in which their team participates and for each hour of volunteer work they completed during the year. Students who have committed a minimum of ten hours of C4C service in one year are eligible to take part in sports competitions and trivia quizzes during this two-day event, which is held each spring, for the chance to win bragging rights and the coveted Golden Briefcase award.

A first-year student told mbaMission about the “GSB Gives Back White Party,” also a C4C fundraiser: “Everyone wears white and raises a bunch of money for charities … Students offer whatever they can, and others bid, so it’s another good way for folks to interact more. Some examples that I can remember were cooking classes, a class on how to make sushi, other learning-type experiences, and tickets to a baseball game. Everyone tries to participate. I’d guess that over 80% of the students here give back.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at the Stanford GSB, UCLA Anderson, UC Berkeley Haas, or 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Rotman School of Management [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Rotman School of Management

MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

One of Canada’s top-ranked business schools for finance—the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management—benefits from the leadership of a foremost figure in the nation’s financial sector. After Roger Martin stepped down as the school’s dean, Tiff Macklem, the former senior deputy governor of the Bank of Canada, assumed the role in 2014 for a five-year term.

Rotman, ranked first among Canadian MBA programs by the Financial Times in 2016, underwent significant growth under Martin’s deanship, in both campus size and endowment. Macklem’s appointment as dean suggests a continued rise in Rotman’s academic profile and its reputation for financial education. “He has vast experience managing large institutions, translating academic research into public policy, and representing Canada on the world stage,” stated the university’s vice president and provost.

In addition to its finance-related strengths, Rotman offers a rather unique approach to core business pedagogy. Relying on what it terms “integrative thinking,” Rotman’s teaching model challenges the compartmentalization of traditional functional areas. Students complete a series of core courses in their first year that emphasize generalized business skills and the ability to think across functional disciplines. In their second year, they are given the option to choose from among 16 different major areas, while supplementing their focus with a broader array of elective courses.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Sustainability at UCLA Anderson [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Sustainability at UCLA Anderson

Applicants to the UCLA Anderson School of Management may be well aware of the school’s strengths in media and real estate, but they might be surprised to learn that Anderson also offers a cutting-edge multidisciplinary program for students interested in environmental sustainability. The school’s Leaders in Sustainability (LiS) Program is a certificate program that allows Anderson students to take courses at different graduate schools within the university network, thereby offering them opportunities to address issues of environmental sustainability in an interdisciplinary manner. Students must apply to the program, which typically has more than 190 participants from graduate programs across the university.

Students in the LiS program must take four classes, including the LiS core course and three sustainability-related elective courses—one of which must be taught outside the students’ primary graduate school. In total, the greater university offers more than 50 sustainability-related courses that Anderson students may choose from, ranging from “Business and Environment” to “Economic Analysis for Managers” to even “Water Law.” In addition to completing the program’s required four courses, LiS students must complete a project related to sustainability and may do so individually or as part of a team with students from at least two other graduate schools within the university.

For a thorough exploration of what UCLA Anderson and 15 other top business schools have to offer, please check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Why Worry? I Volunteered! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Why Worry? I Volunteered!
Some MBA applicants mistakenly view community service as simply a prerequisite for getting into a top program and sign up for volunteer opportunities without considering whether the organization or cause they are choosing is actually a reasonable fit for them. Community service is generally something positive to highlight in your application, given that it demonstrates altruism and frequently indicates leadership skills as well—attributes that may not be revealed in your work experience. However, it is not a panacea or a mere box to be checked. As you contemplate your involvements, be aware that “hours served” are not as important as the spirit of your participation and the extent of your impact.

We encourage MBA candidates to carefully consider their community experiences in the same way they would examine and evaluate their professional or entrepreneurial opportunities. Although people can sometimes make mistakes in their career path, most gravitate toward areas where they can excel, justifiably to further their own interests. So, for example, if you do not enjoy one-on-one interactions, you likely would not consider a position in sales, because you could never thrive in such a position. In contrast, if working in sales were to bring out the best in you, you just might earn promotions, think of new sales techniques, train others, etc. Success stories develop as a by-product of performance.

This reasoning also applies to community service. For example, if you have always enjoyed a particularly close relationship with your grandmother and want to share this kind of positive experience with others, you might decide to volunteer at a retirement home, spending time with seniors. If you became quite passionate about your work there, you might then get others involved, expand the volunteer program at the home, take greater leadership in the program, and demonstrate your initiative and enthusiasm in other ways. However, if you are not that passionate about spending time with the elderly, but you happen to live near a retirement home, volunteering there just for convenience would probably be a mistake. In such a situation, you would lack the spirit of commitment/adventure necessary to ensure that you make an impact—and therefore have a story worth telling the admissions committees.

Whether you are already committed to an activity or are just considering becoming involved in one, carefully determine whether you have the mind-set and personal interest necessary to truly commit yourself to your chosen cause and make a difference. If putting in hours is the only commitment you can make, you will just be wasting your time.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: How to Solve Any Sentence Correction Problem, Part 2 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: How to Solve Any Sentence Correction Problem, Part 2
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan PrepStacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

In Part 1 of this article, we talked about the five-step process to answer Sentence Correction (SC) problems:

• Take a First Glance
  • Read the Sentence
  • Find a Starting Point
  • Eliminate Answers
  • Repeat Steps 3 and 4
If you have not already learned that process, read Part 1 before continuing with this article.

Drills to Build Skills

How do you learn to do all this stuff? You are going to build some skills that will help at each stage of the way. The drills are summarized in this post; if you want the full description of each, check out the original article on the Manhattan GMAT blog.

Drill Number 1: First Glance

Open up your Official Guide (OG) and find some lower-numbered SC questions that you have already tried in the past. Give yourself a few seconds (no more than five!) to glance at a problem, then look away and say out loud what you noticed in those few seconds.

As you develop your First Glance skills, start to read a couple of words: the one right before the underline and the first word of the underline. Do those give you any clues about what might be tested in the problem? For instance, consider this sentence:

Xxx xxxxxx xxxx xx and she xxx xxxxx xxxx xxxx xxx xxx xxxxx.

I have a strong suspicion that this problem might test parallelism, because the word and falls immediately before the underline. When I read the sentence, I will be looking for an X and Y parallelism structure.

Drill Number 2: Read the Sentence

Take a look at some OG problems you have tried before. Read only the original sentence. Then, look away from the book and articulate aloud, in your own words, what you think the sentence is trying to convey. You do not need to limit yourself to one sentence. You can also glance back at the problem to confirm details.

I want to stress the “out loud” part; you will be able to hear whether the explanation is sufficient. If so, try another problem.

If you are struggling or unsure, then one of two things is happening. Either you just do not understand, or the sentence actually does not have a clear meaning, and this is precisely why the choice is wrong! Decide which you think it is, and then check the explanation.

Next Steps

Spend the next week drilling these skills for steps 1 and 2. Then come back here to join us for the third part in this series, in which you will learn two more drills for the later steps of the SC process.
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Be Honest, but Avoid Negativity [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Be Honest, but Avoid Negativity

Sincerity. Honesty. Candor. We encourage MBA candidates to incorporate these attributes into their applications, and when they do, successful essays tend to follow. Yet, can an applicant go too far? The answer is “yes,” especially when candor turns to negativity. Sometimes, when MBA candidates believe they are being candid, they are in fact revealing themselves to be predisposed to pessimism; as a result, the admissions committee has difficulty identifying with their file. Such situations are unfortunate, but luckily, they are often also avoidable; an ostensibly “negative” idea can almost always be expressed in a positive and optimistic manner.

Example:

“In my current position, I am no longer learning and am afraid I will continue to stagnate without my MBA. I cannot achieve my objective of becoming a leader in the marketing department at my firm unless…”

Common sense would say that the admissions committee would likely not be very excited about accepting an applicant who believes he/she has stopped learning or that his/her career progress can be thwarted by basic obstacles.

Revised Example:

“As I look to the future, I recognize that with MBA training, I could dramatically increase my impact on my firm. With an eye toward a leadership position in our marketing department, I am…”

In this revised example, the candidate is expressing the exact same need for an MBA in positive terms and is thus making him-/herself a more warm and engaging prospect, while still candidly stating a need for further education.

Before submitting your file, check for unnecessarily negative statements. Although we would never suggest that every line in your essays must be full of sunshine, you should certainly take steps to avoid portraying yourself as a pessimist.
Send PM
Serial Nonprofit Entrepreneur Nancy Lublin Explains Her Drive to Help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Serial Nonprofit Entrepreneur Nancy Lublin Explains Her Drive to Help Women in Need

Nancy Lublin

Today, many aspiring MBAs and MBA graduates want to join start-ups or launch such companies themselves. Is entrepreneurship as exciting as it seems? Is it really for you? mbaMission Founder Jeremy Shinewald has teamed up with Venture for America and CBS Interactive to launch Smart People Should Build Things: The Venture for America Podcast. Each week, Shinewald interviews another entrepreneur so you can hear the gritty stories of their ups and downs on the road to success.

At a relatively young age, Nancy Lublin has established a reputation as a thought leader after serving as the CEO and founder of numerous nonprofit organizations. Lublin’s first spark for the not-for-profit arena, however, came from a place that one might not traditionally think of as an entrepreneurial platform: law school. After founding Dress for Success, which provides women in need with clothing for job interviews, Lublin went on to launch DoSomething.org, a youth leadership organization, and Crisis Text Line, a free, text-based support system. Tune in to the podcast episode to learn the story behind Lublin’s success as she discusses these details and more:

Why she believes law schools are where “good ideas go to die”

• How Dress for Success got its start following a personal loss and the desire to honor a family member’s memory—and why she would not recommend taking financial advice from nuns!
  • How the idea for Crisis Text Line came to Lublin almost accidentally, and why she describes the organization as having been born from “the rib of Dress for Success”
Subscribe to the podcast series to make sure you hear every exciting entrepreneurial story!
Send PM
Mission Admission: What About European Business Schools? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: What About European Business Schools?

Cambridge Judge Business School

Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

This week, we consider another option for MBA candidates looking to broaden their business school choices: European business schools.

Although many applicants who are competing for places at the top U.S. business schools are well aware of the strengths of the MBA programs at INSEAD and London Business School, even more options are available beyond these two, including IESEESADEOxford (Said), and Cambridge (Judge). These four schools in particular have been aggressively playing “catch-up” with their better-known brethren by raising funds and dedicating them to scholarships and to enhancing their global brands. Those who know their business schools are also aware that IMD offers a boutique MBA program with remarkable international diversity, very highly regarded academics, and a stellar reputation with international employers.

So, numerous options are available, and each can be explored on its own academic merit, but is earning your MBA in Europe, in itself, a good choice for you? For many, the key issue in determining this is where they would like to be after completing their education. If you are seeking to work in Europe, then clearly, these schools offer an advantage over all but the top five or six schools in the United States—Harvard Business School, for example, can probably open as many doors in Europe as INSEAD can. However, if you are seeking to work in the States, then the European schools will not provide the pipeline of opportunities that a top-ranked American school could provide, particularly for those who hope to work in a niche industry or with a company that is not a well-known international brand.

Still, beyond the employment picture, studying abroad offers intrinsic value. Spending two years in London, Fontainebleau, or Lausanne could certainly be its own reward.

For more information on ten international business schools, including INSEAD, Cambridge Judge, and IMD, check out the newmbaMission Program Primers.
Send PM
MBA Career News: Evaluating Job Offers [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career News: Evaluating Job Offers
In this new blog series, our mbaMissionCareer Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches, click here.

With many MBA internship offers coming out in the next few weeks, we wanted to share our advice on evaluating job offers. (Note: This advice is applicable to MBAs receiving full-time offers as well as to MBA graduates who are job seekers.)

First, and most importantly, in your excitement of receiving an offer, do not accept it on the spot. Instead, be gracious, express your excitement, and clarify the timeline for making a decision.

Second, as you evaluate the offer, ask yourself the following questions:

• What do you want to get from this job? What are you going to learn from this job?
  • Does the job meet your career goals—in the short term and/or in the long term? Does the job meet your target career criteria (e.g., work content, culture, compensation, location, brand name, career growth)?
  • What, if any, are your reservations about the job? What information can you gather or questions can you ask (and of whom) to help address these concerns? What is the perception of the company in the marketplace? Is your experience a good match for the role? How much of a stretch will this role be for you?
  • Does the compensation package fairly recognize your contributions (e.g., experience, skills, and seniority) and job responsibilities given the realities of the marketplace? If not, understand whether negotiation would be appropriate for this role, and if so, how you want to approach it. Also, note that for many internships, compensation is not negotiable.
  • Do you have a strong internal network (advocates and/or alumni from your MBA program)?
  • How do the important people in your life feel about this job offer?

Third, take your due diligence to the next level. Set up conversations with people who are currently working at the firm as well as with connections who are former employees. Carefully craft the questions you want to ask. Consider some of the following:

• How did you decide to join Firm X? What were you looking for from your internship/career? Where do you see your career going in the next three to five or ten years?
  • What about working at Firm X has met and exceeded your expectations? What has surprised you most about Firm X?
  • How can you best describe your career to date at Firm X?
  • What makes employees succeed at Firm X? What differentiates great employees from good employees? How would you be evaluated?
  • Who would be on the team? What is the management style of your supervisor?
  • What are the strategic priorities for the role and for your department? What are the obstacles/challenges in addressing those priorities?
Here are a few final tips on offer evaluation and management:

• Carefully review the entire written offer.
  • Remain responsive to any inquiries from your future employer about your decision-making process (even if you do not have an answer yet).
  • Write down the answers to the above questions. Use a pros/cons list, and consider also using a ranking and weighing system.
  • Check out LinkedIn to understand the career trajectory of both current and past employees.
  • Keep up with recent news and social media postings about the company.
  • Communicate your decision to your point of contact at the firm as well as to any advocates and mentors who answered your questions and/or supported your efforts to secure this position.
Have you been admitted to business school and want to get a head start on defining your career goals? Do you need help preparing for job interviews or learning how to effectively network with your target employers? Or maybe you want to be a top performer in your current role but are unsure how to maximize your potential. Let an mbaMission Career Coach help via afree 30-minute consultation!
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Bruce Greenwald, Columbia Business School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Bruce Greenwald, Columbia Business School

Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Bruce Greenwald from Columbia Business School.

Bruce Greenwald has been a fixture at Columbia Business School (CBS) since the early 1990s, and until recent years, he taught the popular “Economics of Strategic Behavior” course in the full-time MBA program (he continues to teach this course in the school’s EMBA program). Greenwald has also taught the “Value Investing” and “Value Investing with Legends” in the MBA program for years. Students in CBS’s Value Investing Program are primarily the ones who get to enjoy his classes, and those with whom mbaMission spoke espoused enthusiasm for Greenwald’s intense depth of knowledge and his connections to top-notch guest speakers, whom he brings to campus to address his classes. On the CBS Peer Course Review site, a former student of Greenwald’s once summed up the instructor’s popularity by stating, “Greenwald has the ability to make something complex seem simple and easy to understand.”
   1  ...  85   86   87   88   89  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts