GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 28 May 2014
Posts: 528
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 07:25
1
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:52) correct 40% (01:53) wrong based on 326 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much higher volume levels than it was 50 years ago. Some audiologists believe that hearing disorders will become more commonplace. Damage done to the auditory system is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to repair. Although some people are aware that music at very high volumes can cause damage, many refrain from taking the necessary precautions to prevent such damage.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(a) The first is a fact presented by audiologists; the second is evidence which proves this fact.
(b) The first is a theoretical prediction, the second is a conclusion to the argument.
(c) The first is an opinion shared by certain audiologists; the second is a fact that supports this opinion.
(d) The first is a premise that presents a future situation, the second is an explanation for the circumstances of this situation.
(e) The first is a viewpoint shared by a number of professionals; the second is an inference based on this viewpoint.

_________________

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 37
Location: India
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.29
Reviews Badge
Re: The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 08:45
C

First is a prediction, and second is a support to it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: Data Scientist and Senior consultant
Joined: 02 May 2016
Posts: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 13:50
saswata4s wrote:
The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much higher volume levels than it was 50 years ago. Some audiologists believe that hearing disorders will become more commonplace. Damage done to the auditory system is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to repair. Although some people are aware that music at very high volumes can cause damage, many refrain from taking the necessary precautions to prevent such damage.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(a) The first is a fact presented by audiologists; the second is evidence which proves this fact. First is not a fact
(b) The first is a theoretical prediction, the second is a conclusion to the argument.Second is not a conclusion
(c) The first is an opinion shared by certain audiologists; the second is a fact that supports this opinion.First is the opinion of some audiologists and second is a fact which is supporting it
(d) The first is a premise that presents a future situation, the second is an explanation for the circumstances of this situation.Not a premise but an opinion; second is not an explanation
(e) The first is a viewpoint shared by a number of professionals; the second is an inference based on this viewpoint.Its showing a reverse relationship. Many refrain... and hence it will become commonplace...


I think it should be C.

My first detailed answer to any question on the club. Let them coming!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: On the way
Joined: 20 Jun 2017
Posts: 10
Location: India
Reviews Badge
Re: The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 11:08
Why the second BF statement is fact?I thought it's an opinion of the author which justifies the first BF statement.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Location: Brazil
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 19:46
priyabratg wrote:
Why the second BF statement is fact?I thought it's an opinion of the author which justifies the first BF statement.


Hello,

I believe we could think about that making the reciproque question: is the BF statement an opinion?

'many refrain from taking the necessary precautions to prevent such damage'

I cannot identify any word that indicates an opinion. IMO, the author clear states a fact that 'many [people] refrain from taking the necessary precautions...'.

On the other hand, I agree that there is no data supporting the fact. To be more complete, the question could have some other clause like: 'as indicate in a recent reserch, 90% of respondents does not stop going in concerts even knowing their audition could be damaged'.

Best,
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 490
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 05:44
Hello Guys,

Can anyone explain how the second BF is a fact? There is no data to suggest the same.

Your thoughts ?
_________________

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Mar 2015
Posts: 103
Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.59
Reviews Badge
Re: The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 21:21
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Guys,

Can anyone explain how the second BF is a fact? There is no data to suggest the same.

Your thoughts ?

same doubt, can someone explain please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 374
Re: The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 23:43
Some audiologists //believe// that hearing disorders will become more commonplace.

many refrain from taking the necessary precautions to prevent such damage.

(a) The first is a ((fact)) presented by audiologists; the second is evidence which proves this fact. The first BF is not a fact. It is just a belief/view shared by audiologists.

(b) The first is a theoretical prediction, the ((second is a conclusion)) to the argument. - the second NF is not a conclusion. It is a premise. The first part is a conclusion for which the author provides premise/fact.

(c) The first is an //opinion// shared by certain audiologists; the second is a //fact// //that supports this opinion.// - looks good.

(d) The first is a ((premise)) that presents a future situation, the second is an ((explanation for the circumstances)) of this situation. - incorrect.

(e) The first is a viewpoint shared by a number of professionals; the second is an ((inference based on this viewpoint.)) - incorrect.

Thus, C is best.


Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 374
Re: The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 23:47
rcaraujo20 wrote:
priyabratg wrote:
Why the second BF statement is fact?I thought it's an opinion of the author which justifies the first BF statement.


Hello,

I believe we could think about that making the reciproque question: is the BF statement an opinion?

'many refrain from taking the necessary precautions to prevent such damage'

I cannot identify any word that indicates an opinion. IMO, the author clear states a fact that 'many [people] refrain from taking the necessary precautions...'.

On the other hand, I agree that there is no data supporting the fact. To be more complete, the question could have some other clause like: 'as indicate in a recent reserch, 90% of respondents does not stop going in concerts even knowing their audition could be damaged'.

Best,
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Guys,

Can anyone explain how the second BF is a fact? There is no data to suggest the same.

Your thoughts ?
r19 wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Guys,

Can anyone explain how the second BF is a fact? There is no data to suggest the same.

Your thoughts ?

same doubt, can someone explain please?
The first BF is an opinion and it is clearly implied by the word belief. When you believe in something it is your thought or opinion.

The second BF is a fact. Any premise in the argument is a fact. If you see, there is no keyword like thus, therefore, henceforth, so,....etc. to give an image of the second BF being the conclusion. The first BF is a conclusion. The author of the argument gives reasons to support that belief.

Hope this helps,
Regards

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jun 2018, 23:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The music at live events and entertainment venues is played at much

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.