GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 23:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabul

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Nov 2018, 00:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:36) correct 47% (01:45) wrong based on 400 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabulary of the English language, which resulted from the dual influence of the Anglo-Saxon and, later, French languages. The French language, though, is a direct descendant of Latin, with few traces of the Celtic language spoken by the pre-Roman inhabitants of the area: the hallmark of French literature is its simplicity and clarity.

Which one of the following can be most reasonably inferred from the information above?

A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature.

B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language.

C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French.

D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a languae with a rich and diverse vocabulary.

E. English literature and French literature have had little infulence on one another.

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 245: Critical Reasoning

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 14 Mar 2018, 11:45.
Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Nov 2018, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 11:46
As is the case with many inference questions, the author isn’t giving us an explicit logical argument with a nice conclusion, but we do end up with straightforward descriptions of the English and French languages. Let’s break them both down, making sure that we’re not getting sloppy with the language.

For English:

• Anglo-Saxon was the first influence on English language.
  • Later, French became a second influence on English language.
  • English language has a rich and diverse vocabulary.
  • English literature reflects that rich and diverse vocabulary.

And for French:

• Latin is the main influence on French language.
  • Celtic may have been around France before Latin, but only trace amounts of it show in French language. So French is really all about its Latin roots.
  • French literature reflects simplicity and clarity.

There’s nothing terribly complex in this passage, but the most common error we see on this question is when test-takers fail to notice which descriptions refer to the English and French languages, and which describe the literature. More on that in a moment.

So… which one of the following can be most reasonably inferred from the information above?

Quote:
A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature.

Choice (A) looks fine. The passage states that the diverse vocabulary of English language is reflected in English literature. This diversity is caused by the fact that English language evolved from two different root languages (Anglo-Saxon and French). Therefore, these diverse origins have shaped English literature.

And here’s the most common mistake we see on this passage: (A) just seems too darned obvious. We didn’t have to work hard to “infer” that (A) is true, so maybe it’s not really correct. But that’s a dangerous way to think about inference questions, as we discussed in this video: all you need to do is find the four answer choices that are NOT true, and eliminate them. Don’t overthink the definition of “infer” or “inference.”

Anyway, (A) is totally reasonable, so let’s keep it and see if we can eliminate the other choices.

Quote:
B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language.

Nothing in our breakdown compares the richness of English and French vocabularies. We know that English has a rich vocabulary, but the passage says nothing about how rich the French vocabulary is, let alone how that compares to the richness of English vocabulary. Let’s eliminate choice (B).

Quote:
C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French.

Nothing in our breakdown compares the size of English and French vocabularies. While the author says that French literature is distinguished by simplicity and clarity, this doesn’t really tell us much about how many words are in the French language, nor how it compares to the English language.

So we can eliminate choice (C).

Quote:
D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a language with a rich and diverse vocabulary.

This leap of logic goes way beyond the information we’re given about French and English. There are tons of languages and literary traditions in the world beyond these two languages, and the passage doesn’t connect these statements about French and English to the (much broader!) act of writing ALL literature. It’s a HUGE stretch to say that simple and clear literature cannot be written in languages with a diverse vocabulary, so we can eliminate (D).

Quote:
E. English literature and French literature have had little influence on one another.

We know that the French language has had a major impact on the English language. However, nothing in the passage discusses how English and French literature have influenced each other.

So (E) is out, and (A) is our answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Re: The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 12:10
IMO, The answer is C.

Combining the information provided in the first sentence, which mentions that the vocabulary of English has been influenced by both Anglo-Saxon and French languages. Hence, it can be correctly inferred that the vocabulary of English is greater than the vocabulary of French.

None of the other options can be correctly inferred from the passage.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 19:14
A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature. --- not sure if it is true but cant eliminate it either at first glance , lets keep it.

B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language. --- not sufficient info provided. may be or may be not.

C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French. --- not sufficient info provided. may be or may be not.

D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a language with a rich and diverse vocabulary. ---- too extreme to be true

E. English literature and French literature have had little infulence on one another. --- wrong .... English is influenced from french, the other way is not true.

(A) seems the best answer among all.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 20:42
IMO A
Since the first line says 'resulted from' dual Lang. (I. E the origin)

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos please if explanation helped
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't stop when you are tired , stop when you are DONE .

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 17:25
A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature.: CAN BE INFERRED FROM FIRST SENTENCE. A CONNECTION IS WELL ESTABLISHED BETWEEN ENGLISH LITERATURE AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language.: IRRELEVANT COMPARISON, NOT DISCUSSED

C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French.: SAME AS B, CANNOT PASS FACT TEST

D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a languae with a rich and diverse vocabulary.: TOO EXTREME

E. English literature and French literature have had little infulence on one another.: OPPOSITE
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 09:39
Awaiting OA. IMO answer should be A

The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabulary of the English language, which resulted from the dual influence of the Anglo-Saxon and, later, French languages. The French language, though, is a direct descendant of Latin, with few traces of the Celtic language spoken by the pre-Roman inhabitants of the area: the hallmark of French literature is its simplicity and clarity.

Which one of the following can be most reasonably inferred from the information above?

A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature. --Correct. The nature of English literature reflects the richness and diversity in language. Diversity and richness was derived from French and Anglo-Saxon languages. So we can say that the origin has had some impact on the English literature.

B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language. --We can't say that. These two languages are different and we can't comment on the vocabulary of either language.

C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French. --We can't say that. These two languages are different and we can't comment on the vocabulary of either language. Remember, entire French language is not the sub set of English.

D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a languae with a rich and diverse vocabulary. --Exaggerated statement

E. English literature and French literature have had little infulence on one another. --We can't say from the argument whether English has had any influence on French literature.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 10:20
IMO B. and I think I am pretty sure about it. But seeing all the different types of answers, am a little confused.
Please post the OA.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 04:19
Puja priya wrote:
IMO B. and I think I am pretty sure about it. But seeing all the different types of answers, am a little confused.
Please post the OA.

At first I thought B was the better answer. Looking again however, A is simpler and more elegant as a solution. The problems with both B and C are that they both make large logic leaps...which in assumption type questions is usually incorrect. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 18:22
Mrinal Lather wrote:
IMO, The answer is C.

Combining the information provided in the first sentence, which mentions that the vocabulary of English has been influenced by both Anglo-Saxon and French languages. Hence, it can be correctly inferred that the vocabulary of English is greater than the vocabulary of French.

None of the other options can be correctly inferred from the passage.

C cannot be inferred from the passage and here's why. It says that English was INFLUENCED BY French and Anglo-saxon, it isn't a UNION (in mathematical terms) of Anglo-Saxon and French. It could have taken a few words/phrases from French and Anglo-Saxon and still have been smaller in corpus than the entirety of French language.

In other words, it CANNOT be inferred that "English = All of Anglo-Saxon + All of French
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 17:54

A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature. - Best choice as it is clearly mentioned that English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabulary of the English language.

B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language. - It is nowhere mentioned that one vocabulary is richer than another so eliminated

C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French. - Size of vocabulary is also nowhere compared in the passage so eliminated

D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a language with a rich and diverse vocabulary. - Out of Scope

E. English literature and French literature have had little influence on one another - Nowhere it is mentioned that English and French literatures have influence on each other. Only thing mentioned is they have a little impact so eliminated

Hence best choice Option A

Hope its clear puja priya

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabul &nbs [#permalink] 26 Mar 2018, 17:54

The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabul

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap