GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 09:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The oil-price drop creates vast numbers of winners

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The oil-price drop creates vast numbers of winners  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 13:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:34) correct 59% (01:25) wrong based on 706 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The oil-price drop creates vast numbers of winners in countries like India and China and give oil-dependent economies like Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's an urgent reason to embrace reform.

A. countries like India and China and give oil-dependent economies like Saudi Arabia and Venezuela an urgent reason to embrace reform.
B. countries like India and China and gives oil-dependent economies like Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's reason to urgently embrace reform.
C. such countries as India and China and gives oil-dependent economies such as Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's an urgent reason to embrace reform.
D. such countries as India and China and gives oil-dependent economies like Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's reason to urgently embrace reform.
E. such countries as India and China and gives oil-dependent economies such as Saudi Arabia and Venezuela reason to urgently embrace reform.

Let's understand the meaning first:
The oil-price drops is the subject, and we have 2 verbs that must be parallel to each other: creates and gives.
The price drop creates vast numbers of winners in countries - and we have 2 examples: India and China
and the price drop gives oil dependent economies a reason to embrace reform.
we are given 2 examples of oil dependent economies.

A. SV agreement error - the plural verb "give" does not agree in number with the noun "drop". First like is incorrectly used to give examples. Second like is incorrect as well, we do not have any comparison here.
B. Although the SV error is corrected, the like errors are still present. Furthermore, this one changes the meaning - urgent reason is not the same as reason to urgently embrace.
C. rectifies all the errors in the original sentence. Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's are correctly written in possessive. Now it refers to Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's economies.
D. first like is corrected, the second not. SV error is corrected as well. urgently embrace = not the same as urgent reason.
E. 2 errors here: Saudi Arabia and Venezuela are not 2 examples of economies. These are rather countries. Possessive is desirable here. same error = urgently embrace.

inspired from the Economist - 23-29 January 2016.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: The oil-price drop creates vast numbers of winners  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 18:16
mvictor wrote:
The oil-price drop creates vast numbers of winners in countries like India and China and give oil-dependent economies like Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's an urgent reason to embrace reform.

A. countries like India and China and give oil-dependent economies like Saudi Arabia and Venezuela an urgent reason to embrace reform.
B. countries like India and China and gives oil-dependent economies like Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's reason to urgently embrace reform.
C. such countries as India and China and gives oil-dependent economies such as Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's an urgent reason to embrace reform.
D. such countries as India and China and gives oil-dependent economies like Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's reason to urgently embrace reform.
E. such countries as India and China and gives oil-dependent economies such as Saudi Arabia and Venezuela reason to urgently embrace reform.

Dear mvictor,
My friend, I applaud the effort, but I will offer some criticisms.

On the good side, you have a question the definitely has only one correct answer, (C), and it has four other choices that are wrong for clear and specific reasons. Some companies fail to do this much!!

On the down side, this does not resemble a real GMAT question. This is much more like the SC questions of very low quality companies, whose poor questions I have seen posted on GC.

The phrase "oil-price drop" is very colloquial and does not reflect the academic tone of the GMAT.

The choices are all similar, and one can scan this question very easily looking for splits. Admittedly, I write SC questions professionally, but I was able to solve this in under 10 seconds. For many folks reasonably skilled in SC, this would pose little challenge.

You see, there's a whole other level of question creation that is hard for students to appreciate, called Item Response Theory. One we have created a solid, mistake-free question such as this one, what information will this question reveal about the testing pool? A strong question is one that distinguishes sharply between high achievers and low achievers. By contrast, your question would probably have an 80-90% correct rate---a very easy question, with almost as many careless mistakes as actual flaws in understanding. As a tool of Item Response, this questions would not be that valuable, because it doesn't really distinguish sharply between levels of students. It would be most challenging for folks who do not have a whole lot of experience with SC yet, but for folks experienced with the GMAT SC, it would be far less informative.

By contrast, here's a relatively easy question, about 70% correct rate, in which the answer choices are completely re-arranged from another. This is considerably stronger in terms of Item Response Theory:
What the eye see

Once again, my friend, it's wonderful to see you wrestling with the problem of writing SC questions. It's an extremely hard thing to do well. Quite frankly, even some of the people who do it professionally still do a very poor job of it!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 15:47
mikemcgarry wrote:
mvictor wrote:

Dear mvictor,
My friend, I applaud the effort, but I will offer some criticisms.

On the good side, you have a question the definitely has only one correct answer, (C), and it has four other choices that are wrong for clear and specific reasons. Some companies fail to do this much!!

On the down side, this does not resemble a real GMAT question. This is much more like the SC questions of very low quality companies, whose poor questions I have seen posted on GC.

The phrase "oil-price drop" is very colloquial and does not reflect the academic tone of the GMAT.

The choices are all similar, and one can scan this question very easily looking for splits. Admittedly, I write SC questions professionally, but I was able to solve this in under 10 seconds. For many folks reasonably skilled in SC, this would pose little challenge.

You see, there's a whole other level of question creation that is hard for students to appreciate, called Item Response Theory. One we have created a solid, mistake-free question such as this one, what information will this question reveal about the testing pool? A strong question is one that distinguishes sharply between high achievers and low achievers. By contrast, your question would probably have an 80-90% correct rate---a very easy question, with almost as many careless mistakes as actual flaws in understanding. As a tool of Item Response, this questions would not be that valuable, because it doesn't really distinguish sharply between levels of students. It would be most challenging for folks who do not have a whole lot of experience with SC yet, but for folks experienced with the GMAT SC, it would be far less informative.

By contrast, here's a relatively easy question, about 70% correct rate, in which the answer choices are completely re-arranged from another. This is considerably stronger in terms of Item Response Theory:
What the eye see

Once again, my friend, it's wonderful to see you wrestling with the problem of writing SC questions. It's an extremely hard thing to do well. Quite frankly, even some of the people who do it professionally still do a very poor job of it!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thanks mikemcgarry.
I did not really mean to make a a SC question, but while the reading an article from the Economist - I thought that from a specific sentence it would be a really good SC question :)
the oil-price drop is as is in the article. I understand that Economist is a good material to prepare for GMAT's verbal, including SC, but looks like not always everything is written in a formal language :)
You already mentioned this difference between official GMAT style language and language from articles of the major journals when I had some questions on sentence structure while analyzing a sentence from National Geographic :)

anyways, I do appreciate your comment.

rgds,

v
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 05:03
The question could have been better for this one.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 03:16
Using ‘like’ is incorrect. A B and D can all be disqualified. E is wrong because it refers to Saudi Arabia and Venezuela as economies. C is the right answer.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 13:00
mvictor wrote:

Let's understand the meaning first:
The oil-price drops is the subject, and we have 2 verbs that must be parallel to each other: creates and gives.
The price drop creates vast numbers of winners in countries - and we have 2 examples: India and China
and the price drop gives oil dependent economies a reason to embrace reform.
we are given 2 examples of oil dependent economies.

A. SV agreement error - the plural verb "give" does not agree in number with the noun "drop". First like is incorrectly used to give examples. Second like is incorrect as well, we do not have any comparison here.
B. Although the SV error is corrected, the like errors are still present. Furthermore, this one changes the meaning - urgent reason is not the same as reason to urgently embrace.
C. rectifies all the errors in the original sentence. Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's are correctly written in possessive. Now it refers to Saudi Arabia's and Venezuela's economies.
D. first like is corrected, the second not. SV error is corrected as well. urgently embrace = not the same as urgent reason.
E. 2 errors here: Saudi Arabia and Venezuela are not 2 examples of economies. These are rather countries. Possessive is desirable here. same error = urgently embrace.

What is the problem with E ? Would anybody explain it elaborately?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The oil-price drop creates vast numbers of winners   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2019, 13:00

The oil-price drop creates vast numbers of winners

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap