GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The ONLY secure way to verify GMAT scores is a direct PDF download.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
The ONLY secure way to verify GMAT scores is a direct PDF download.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jul 2018, 09:41
Top Contributor
Why would an individual need to verify a person's GMAT score? Well, if you're looking for a GMAT tutor who claims high GMAT scores, for example, then you might be wondering whether he/she is telling the truth.

I would strongly advise you not to trust third-party PDFs of score reports, which in the digital age are easy to fake/manipulate. THE ONLY METHOD YOU CAN TRUST IS A DIRECT PDF DOWNLOAD OF THE STUDENT SCORE REPORT FROM THE PEARSON VUE WEBSITE.

Here's what to do:

1) Request the unique link to the tutor's online score report, and his/her date of birth (required for access), then enter the url into your web browser.

2) After correctly entering the date of birth, you will automatically download a full PDF score report to your computer that cannot be faked, because the tutor has no role in the process. The score report will list all the tutor's official GMAT scores during the last 5 years, including cancellations, which will be marked with a "C."

Here is an example of my report:

As proof of concept, you can download it yourself to verify using the method I described above.

By the way, this is also the exact same method that GMATClub uses to verify GMAT scores (green checkmarks on the left-hand column, below the profile picture).

(Shortened) Link: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr

Date of Birth: 09 December 1979

Best of luck on your GMAT and beyond!

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 12 Jul 2018, 00:19.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 16 Jul 2018, 09:41, edited 5 times in total.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The ONLY secure way to verify GMAT scores is a direct PDF download.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jul 2018, 12:38
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Why would an individual need to verify a person's GMAT scores? Well, if you're looking for a GMAT tutor who claims a high GMAT score, for example, then you might be wondering whether he/she is telling the truth.

I would strongly advise you not to trust a standard PDF printout of score reports, which in the digital age are easy to fake. THE ONLY METHOD YOU CAN TRUST IS A DIRECT PDF DOWNLOAD OF THE STUDENT SCORE REPORT FROM THE PEARSON VUE WEBSITE.

Here's what to do:

1) Request the unique link to the tutor's online score report, and his/her date of birth (required for access).

2) After entering the url to the site on your web browser, then correctly entering the date of birth, you will automatically download a full PDF score report to your computer that cannot be faked, because the tutor has no role in the process. The score report will list all the tutor's official GMAT scores during the last 5 years, including cancellations, which will be marked with a "C."

Here is an example of my report:

As proof of concept, you can download it yourself to verify using the method I described above.

By the way, this is also the exact same method that GMATClub uses to verify GMAT scores.

(Shortened) Link: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr

Date of Birth: 09 December 1979

Best of luck on your GMAT and beyond!

-Brian

Hi mcelroytutoring

I have read your reviews on Amazon, regarding GMAT/GRE books, multiple times, so I am familiar with your background, mind set, test prep and test taking philosophy.

I am also familiar with your website.

I agree with you, that paid tutors must be able to provide proof about their scores and competence, exactly how you showed in example. :clap:

Went through some of their profiles here and wondered why they didn't :)

Also, there are some of them who claimed/boasted they have scored 800 and also have been banned from retaking it, from GMAC.

I wonder did you have them in mind when you wrote this post :)

Regarding your scores, you best score of 770 Q47 V48 was not verified and is not on Pearson list.

Is this because it is outdated, before 5 years ago ?

If that is the case, would you say that GMAT become harder in recent years, since you didn't matched or surpassed 770, in last 5 years ?

Yesterday, it was brought to my attention (you being credited as source, later I have read the post), that there suppose to be pool of 1500 questions from Practice Exams 1 & 2 and about 400 for Practice Exams 3 & 4( Exam Pack 1) and I guess another 400 for Practice Exams 5 & 6 (Exam Pack 2).

Now, on mba.com it says that in additional exams there is 90 unique questions in each exam, which do not overlap with the questions in any other GMAT® Official Prep product, so I wonder what about rest of 440(800-360) for all 4 paid tests ? They overlap with questions from where?

Moreover, how many of 1500 from free GMATprep overlap with Exam Packs 1&2 and Question Pack 1 (404 retired questions) as per your research ? :idea:

(I assume none of those, do not overlap with OG's. )

Thank you on focusing on what really matters. :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Originally posted by billionaire on 12 Jul 2018, 12:08.
Last edited by billionaire on 12 Jul 2018, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
G
The ONLY secure way to verify GMAT scores is a direct PDF download.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Jul 2018, 23:03
Top Contributor
Thanks for the support!

I do think the GMAT has become a tad harder over the last 6 years, especially on the Verbal section.

When I got my 770 back in 2012, there were a few factors at play that helped me score a bit higher--for one, there was no IR section! : ) For another, it was my very first official GMAT after 10 years of tutoring the test, and I was highly motivated to earn a 99% score--I hadn't yet graduated to experimenting with the scoring algorithm and testing out different time-management strategies. Finally, I managed to score my highest ever on Verbal, V48, which usually correlates to just 1 counted question wrong out of the 30 counted questions (but I don't know for sure since there was no ESR option at the time).

Also, if we're being totally honest here, I must admit that although I am a far better TUTOR at age 38 than at age 32, I may have been a slightly better TEST-TAKER at age 32. I'm no longer in my "GMAT athletic peak," if you will...which is part of why I'm proud of my 750 with Q50 at age 37. Or should I say "GMAThletic peak?" :cool:

I wish I could have verified that 770 from 2012, too, but GMAT Club didn't introduce a score verification feature until over 5 years later, at which time my score had expired. Poor me, I know.

If you score a perfect 800, then you are banned from the test for 5 years, not for life--and GMAT scores are valid for 5 years--so there is no reason why these so-called perfect 800 scoring tutors couldn't retake the test to prove their ability, and then verify their new scores on GMAT Club, as I have done.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 12 Jul 2018, 12:16.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 17 Jul 2018, 23:03, edited 4 times in total.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The ONLY secure way to verify GMAT scores is a direct PDF download.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 14:39
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Thanks for the support!

I do think the GMAT has become a tad harder over the last 6 years, especially on the Verbal section.

When I got my 770 back in 2012, there were a few factors at play that helped me score a bit higher--for one, there was no IR section! : ) For another, it was my very first official GMAT after 10 years of tutoring the test, and I was highly motivated to earn a 99% score--I hadn't yet graduated to experimenting with the scoring algorithm and testing out different time-management strategies. Finally, I managed to score my highest ever on Verbal, V48, which usually correlates to just one counted question wrong.

Also, if we're being totally honest here, I must admit that although I am a far better TUTOR at age 38 than at age 32, I may have been a slightly better TEST-TAKER at age 32. I'm no longer in my "GMAT athletic peak," if you will...which is part of why I'm proud of my 750 with Q50 at age 38. Or should I say "GMAThletic peak?" :cool:

I wish I could have verified that 770 from 2012, too, but GMAT Club didn't introduce a score verification feature until over 5 years later, at which time my score had expired. Poor me, I know.

If you score a perfect 800, then you are banned from the test for 5 years, not for life--and GMAT scores are valid for 5 years--so there is no reason why these so-called perfect 800 scoring tutors couldn't retake the test to prove their ability, and then verify their new scores on GMAT Club, as I have done.

-Brian

Hello mcelroytutoring

I believe some (important) questions from reply, were left unanswered.

I dont know the reason, was it a misread or deliberately skipped.

Here it is:

"Yesterday, it was brought to my attention (you being credited as source, later I have read the post), that there suppose to be pool of 1500 questions from Practice Exams 1 & 2 and about 400 for Practice Exams 3 & 4( Exam Pack 1) and I guess another 400 for Practice Exams 5 & 6 (Exam Pack 2).

Now, on mba.com it says that in additional exams there is 90 unique questions in each exam, which do not overlap with the questions in any other GMAT® Official Prep product, so I wonder what about rest of 440(800-360) for all 4 paid tests ? They overlap with questions from where?

Moreover, how many of 1500 from free GMATprep overlap with Exam Packs 1&2 and Question Pack 1 (404 retired questions) as per your research ? "

Of course, I do know how GMAC policy regarding perfect 800 (should) work, but picture was posted from Pearson sheet saying, that particular tutor will not be allowed to schedule test anymore, since they do not see reason for retake, due his high test scores.

However if he sends his name and GMAT ID number to some GMAC email (it was blurred before @) he will be allowed to test once a year, which was understood to be a quite different test than ordinary GMAT, I suppose some research version for tutors.

I can say that we are speaking about ex-Manhattan tutor, don't know should I disclose the name, but I believe many of gmat club members will recognize the story.

Sure it could be fake, which I believe was the point of your initiative for verifying score via Pearson link and birth date.

Your kudos are much appreciated

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 16:52
Top Contributor
I'm not trying to imply anything about any GMAT tutor/coach in particular (in fact there is one tutor on GMAT Club--Marty Murray--who has a verified perfect 800 score), but if I were to work with a GMAT tutor/coach who was claiming a high or perfect GMAT score, then I would definitely ask for the unique Pearson Vue link and DOB just to make sure, before paying for any lessons. You have to wonder why so many prominent GMAT tutors on GMAT Club have chosen NOT to verify their (claimed) scores in this manner--or at least through GMAT Club, which has the added benefit of keeping any personal information private because it is done automatically. (I get around this issue by using my office address instead of my home address.)

As to your other questions, they would be better answered by a GMAC representative. However, all 400ish of the questions in the paid Question Packs (Exams 3-6) should be unique--it's just that you are served only 90 (now 80) unique questions PER TEST. If you keep resetting the software and taking the tests again, then you will continue to see other unique questions.

-Brian

p.s. If the tutor has a green checkmark by their score (left-hand column below profile picture), then this request becomes less necessary. For example, one tutor I know has a GMAT score of 780 from 2013, but it was over 5 years ago, so it can no longer be verified using the method I described above. However, GMAT Club score verifications are good for life, and he had the opportunity to verify on GMAT Club just before his score expired, so he will be able to keep his green checkmark indefinitely.

Re: The ONLY secure way to verify GMAT scores is a direct PDF download. &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jul 2018, 16:52

The ONLY secure way to verify GMAT scores is a direct PDF download.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap