GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 21:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Has anyone scored 800 in gmat?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: Has anyone scored 800 in gmat? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 12:49
I know a person who works at Chrysler, USA - scored 800 this November'17.
Annoyingly perfectionist, can be a bully with others, somewhat of a social outcast for his bad attitude, & hungry to be pampered.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Has anyone scored 800 in gmat? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jan 2018, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I can't believe I've never seen this thread before -- and it makes me happy that so many people are recognizing that the 800 isn't important at all.

I get asked about perfect GMAT scores CONSTANTLY, so here are a few thoughts:

• Business schools don't care if you get an 800, so there's no good reason for anybody to strive for a perfect score.
  • Sad, but true: most people who are THAT good at test-taking tend to be a little bit unbalanced as people. There are exceptions, but I've met very, very few -- other than test-prep professionals who have been honing their test-taking skills for years. (And even then... ;) )
  • Luck is definitely required to get to a perfect 800. Off the top of my head, I can think of four or five particularly spectacular GMAT tutors that I know personally. All of them keep falling just a question or two short of an 800. That's mostly bad luck -- these guys know their stuff. The difference between 780 and 790 and 800 is totally meaningless.
  • Yeah, I got an 800 (proof attached for the skeptics), but you shouldn't be all that impressed. Why? Well, it happened in 2011. I started teaching GRE courses in 2001, and GMAT courses in 2002. So basically, I had been "studying" for almost TEN YEARS by the time I finally aced the damned thing. And I still needed some luck, frankly.

The GMAT is a very limited test, that tests a very limited little batch of skills. Who gives a rip if you can ace it, as long as you can do well enough to get into whatever MBA program will be a great fit for you? And yeah, the GMAT has (unfortunately!) become more and more important in admissions, but (fortunately!) your career trajectory still matters more than your GMAT score.
Attachments

800.pdf [1.86 MiB]
Downloaded 182 times

To download please login or register as a user

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- Wednesdays, February 14 - April 4!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Originally posted by GMATNinja on 20 Dec 2017, 11:35.
Last edited by GMATNinja on 03 Jan 2018, 21:07, edited 3 times in total.
Top Contributor
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Jan 2018, 11:34
Top Contributor
There is a huge difference between the number of people who CLAIM they scored a perfect 800 on the GMAT (many), and the number of people who can actually PROVE they scored an 800 on the GMAT (zero, as far as I know). And no, a sketchy PDF of a paper score report or test-day printout that could have easily been manipulated with computer editing software doesn't count--I'm talking about a link to an official, recent, downloadable score report from the Pearson Vue website: the exact same secure method that GMAT Club uses to verify user scores.

Take a look at the incoming class of 2019 admission stats for HBS, Wharton, and Stanford, and you will see that none of the admitted students scored higher than a 790 on the GMAT. Keep in mind--these are the very best B-schools in the country, the "cream of the crop." If these elite-level students aren't scoring 800s, then very few people are: possibly fewer than 5 in the entire world, and maybe as low as zero each year--even if we include GMAT tutors. In fact, none of Stanford's last 4 incoming classes had GMAT scores higher than 790. It is of course true that 800 scorers could be getting rejected at all of these schools, but this is unlikely.

The evidence is somewhat contradictory when it comes to perfect 800 GMAT scores. One one hand, not one of GMAT Club's nearly 700,000 members has yet posted a verified 800 score, which suggests that these scores may be nearly unobtainable. That being said, GMAC's statistics also suggest that nearly every year, there might be a few select test-takers who achieve this rare feat. It is certainly possible that many of the ones who do are professional GMAT tutors who never end up applying to B-school, and/or other test takers who never end up posting a GMAT Club Debrief or confirming their scores. There is also the matter of GMAT scores from over 5 years ago, which are expired and thus cannot be verified in any meaningful way.

In my opinion, however, it is only a matter of time before we have a true verified 800 score here on this forum, now that a score verification feature is available (verified scores are indicated though the green checkmarks next to one's scores). There are a handful of GMAT tutors in the world who wouldn't surprise me if they scored an 800 on any given day--including myself--and neither would any of the hundreds of thousands of talented students who take the GMAT each year, but the fact remains that no one has proven it yet.

To score an 800 on the GMAT, it appears from my ESR research that at a minimum, you need to answer all 58 counted questions correctly--and the experimental questions appear to matter as well, despite what GMAC claims. Even just one wrong answer on Verbal, for example, can drop your score from a perfect V51 to a V48--and we have even seen 2 examples of a V50 score with every counted question right. Thus, it appears that you might in fact need to answer all 78 multiple-choice questions correctly to score an 800 (remember that the 12 IR questions are not part of your 200-800 composite score).

Going 78 for 78 on an adaptive test such as the GMAT is an incredibly difficult task, because the questions get tougher the better you perform. Eventually, nearly all of us are bound to run up against a nearly incomprehensible question, and are going to have to take a guess or two--yes, even smart-aleck GMAT tutors--and of course careless mistakes/fatigue also play a role, as they do for all test-takers. The fact that you can't skip questions and return later (like you can on the GRE) certainly doesn't help, either.

For those GMAT tutors out there who claim perfect 800 scores that are more than 5 years old: I would suggest that you re-take the GMAT and verify your scores on a more recent exam to prove your abilities, as I have done.

Scoring an 800 on the GMAT requires determination, persistence, skill, talent, and a healthy dose of luck. I've taken the GMAT 5 times now, and have scored in the 700s every time, with a high of 770. I think that's an accomplishment in itself, but I would be lying if I said that I weren't still trying for the elusive perfect 800. And if I do score an 800 :fingers_crossed:, then I'll make sure to prove it! ;)

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 03 Jan 2018, 01:30.
Last edited by bb on 25 Jan 2018, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
ramblings deleted
Top Contributor
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 23:28
Top Contributor
Congrats to MartyMurray for the first verified perfect 800 score here on GMAT Club. As I wrote in my last post, it was only a matter of time!

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: Has anyone scored 800 in gmat? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 01:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Congrats to MartyMurray for the first verified perfect 800 score here on GMAT Club. As I wrote in my last post, it was only a matter of time!

I had no idea. I almost didn't verify and kind of did it just to see how the Verify thing works. I had always kind of figured that pretty much everyone believed that I had scored 800 anyway.

Regarding your prior post, in which you say that you suspect that a test taker has to get all 78 quant and verbal questions right in order to score 800, while I never got the ESR for that test on which I scored 800, I feel as if I got all the verbal questions right, but I recall that after confirming my answer to one quant question, I reconsidered my answer and thought that I had not gotten it right. Maybe I did actually get it right, or maybe it was an experimental question and didn't count.

Also, I had always thought that one could score 800 with a Q51 that was achieved without ones getting all quant questions correct. Maybe I had that wrong. If it's true that you have to get all of the counted quant questions correct in order to score 800, and had I known that to be the case, I wonder how my mindset might have been different going into the test. Knowing that I had to get all of the verbal questions right to hit my score goal made me pretty intense and super careful. By the time I was finished with verbal, I was so wired or so done, I guess, that I somehow clicked right past the screen that shows your score, and didn't find out what my score until I was checking out.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Top Contributor
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 18:27
Top Contributor
You took the test in 2015, correct? (I found your debrief on Beat the GMAT.) You should still be able to order your ESR(s) after the fact, if you're curious.

Either way, I have seen a verified Q51/V51/790 here on GMAT Club (one counted Quant question wrong, according to his ESR), but you are most definitely the first GMAT Club user I know of (feel free to prove me wrong, everybody!) to verify a perfect 800 score. The score verification feature has been available for over a year, so I'm surprised it took so long.

If you feel like posting your debrief here on GMAT club as well, then I'm sure that users would benefit.

Has anyone scored 800 in gmat?   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2018, 18:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 66 posts ] 

Has anyone scored 800 in gmat?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap