Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 26 May 2017, 10:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: UWC
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 393
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 1283 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 21:53
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:51) correct 43% (00:57) wrong based on 414 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.

A. for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft
B. if they privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft
C. if a reusable craft is privately financed and successfully launched by them
D. by privately financing and successfully launching a reusable craft
E. to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Abhishek009 on 26 Dec 2016, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Edited OA after munnabhaimbbs's report.
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Posts: 307
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 38

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2012, 00:07
I see that you're breaking up the dozen questions into individual ones, heh.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
B
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2022
Followers: 2216

Kudos [?]: 7753 [2] , given: 291

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2012, 06:27
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.




Image

Error Analysis:

The sentence is talking about how “a team” can win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight. Use of plural pronoun “them” is incorrect to refer to singular “a team”.
Also, “for them” is not required in the sentence because “a team” has already been mentioned in the very same clause.

PoE:

A. for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

B. if they privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft: Incorrect. Plural pronoun “they” is incorrect to refer to singular “a team”.

C. if a reusable craft is privately financed and successfully launched by them: Incorrect. Plural pronoun “them” is incorrect to refer to singular “a team”.

D. by privately financing and successfully launching a reusable craft: Incorrect. Using “by…” is not correct here.

E. to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft: Correct.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 167
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 4

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2012, 08:50
Still not convinced why the use of "by" is wrong in D.
Though E sounds better as it uses "to" without using too many -ing forms of verb.
_________________

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 23:28
can you please explain why (d) is wrong?


egmat wrote:
The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.




Image

Error Analysis:

The sentence is talking about how “a team” can win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight. Use of plural pronoun “them” is incorrect to refer to singular “a team”.
Also, “for them” is not required in the sentence because “a team” has already been mentioned in the very same clause.

PoE:

A. for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft: Incorrect for the reasons discussed above.

B. if they privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft: Incorrect. Plural pronoun “they” is incorrect to refer to singular “a team”.

C. if a reusable craft is privately financed and successfully launched by them: Incorrect. Plural pronoun “them” is incorrect to refer to singular “a team”.

D. by privately financing and successfully launching a reusable craft: Incorrect. Using “by…” is not correct here.

E. to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft: Correct.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: UWC
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 393
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 1283 [1] , given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 23:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.

I believe this is a case of proper parallelism. Notice that the underlined part "to win the $10 million..." is parallel to the non underlined part "to privately...."

D breaks the parallelism because of "by"
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 18
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2012, 01:31
macjas wrote:
The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.

I believe this is a case of proper parallelism. Notice that the underlined part "to win the $10 million..." is parallel to the non underlined part "to privately...."

D breaks the parallelism because of "by"


it is simply the use of idom.
the only way to do something is to .....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10367
Followers: 999

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 07:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 444
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 39

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 02:08
macjas wrote:
The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.

I believe this is a case of proper parallelism. Notice that the underlined part "to win the $10 million..." is parallel to the non underlined part "to privately...."

D breaks the parallelism because of "by"


Hi,

Please consider this...the senctence should read somewhat like this..

The only way for a team to win... is..(option)..on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.

The "is" has to be followed by "by".. Hence,The only way for a team to win is by....

Should be D!

Besides the first "to" is in front of "win"(a verb) and second "to" is in front of "privately"(an adverb)..

Please clarify if I am wrong. :roll:

Regards,
Dom.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: GMAT...Not Again.....
Joined: 19 Oct 2015
Posts: 34
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 30

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 03:49
yes
to win team has to do something or we can say team has to win "by"doing something.... so D seems correct

But again we stumble upon D & E... both giving clear meaning, no confusion. still as someone above correctly point out, 'by'is giving away the parallelism.

Hence, E
_________________

correct if wrong, and a +1 wont hurt for like :wink:

Keep Faith in God Coz Every Question cannot be answered by Google

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 80
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 07:18
Dabhishek wrote:
yes
to win team has to do something or we can say team has to win "by"doing something.... so D seems correct

But again we stumble upon D & E... both giving clear meaning, no confusion. still as someone above correctly point out, 'by'is giving away the parallelism.

Hence, E


My Friend..
I disagree with you on this thing.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes to+be infinitives have to be parallel with each other.
BUT, the sentence should also give the proper intended.
Basically as per my knowledge, there are 2 types of parallelism.
1. Superficial Parallelism
2. Actual Parallelism

Consider the following sentence
Sal applied himself in his new job, arriving early every day, skipping lunch
regularly, AND leaving late every night.

In the sentence above, the -ing participle phrases arriving early every day, skipping lunch regularly, and
leaving late every night are parallel.
The main clause, applied himself in his new job, is not parallel to these
participle phrases . BUT This is CORRECT.
The main verb is applied, and the -ing phrases provide additional information about how Sal applied himself.
This is an example of Actual Parallelism.
It would distort the meaning to change the sentence to this superficially parallel version:

Wrong: Sal applied himself in his new job, arrived early every day, skipped lunch regularly,
AND left late every night.

This version gives all the activities equal emphasis, instead of making the last three activities subordinate
to the main activity (applied himself in his new job).


Now coming back to our question
The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.


privately financing and successfully launching a craft are the ways to win the tounament..(simliar to ways Sai used to apply herself to the job)

Hence, Answer should be D.....

Do not assume that all verbs and verbal forms in a sentence must be parallel.
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3840
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 821

Kudos [?]: 6324 [0], given: 324

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 08:57
Top Contributor
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is to win the Ansari prize. The other functions are the means for achieving the intention and so they don't necessarily have to be parallel as has been amply pointed out. Secondly, 'to privately finance' is a split - infinitive

D. by privately financing and successfully launching a reusable craft.

E. to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft

I am afraid E has some problems. First, we use infinitive verbs when we intend a purpose of action. In E by using the infinitives- to privately finance and (to) successfully launch --will imply that they are also intended purposes. Not so, The only purpose is to win the Ansari Prize and the rest are the means of achieving the goal; Per se, they don't have to be necessarily parallel, as has been amply pointed out here before.
Second, -to privately finance- is a split- infinitive, which is rather a casual expression not acceptable in formal language.

I feel D is superior to E.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509


Last edited by daagh on 26 Nov 2016, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3041
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2272 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 05:39
The confusion is probably because of the difference in usage between "the way to..." and "the way is by..".

The only way to win is by financing.
The only way to win is to finance.

The first sentence is preferred as already explained by daagh sir above.
Chat Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 442
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 05:48
sayantanc2k wrote:
The confusion is probably because of the difference in usage between "the way to..." and "the way is by..".

The only way to win is by financing.
The only way to win is to finance.

The first sentence is preferred as already explained by daagh sir above.



Can we use V-A-N rule here to select between D and E?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3041
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2272 [1] , given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 14:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
warriorguy wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
The confusion is probably because of the difference in usage between "the way to..." and "the way is by..".

The only way to win is by financing.
The only way to win is to finance.

The first sentence is preferred as already explained by daagh sir above.



Can we use V-A-N rule here to select between D and E?


Good point - this is one way of looking at the problem:
Adverbial phrase: by financing
Noun ( verb infinitive): to finance.
A comes before N.

However I would suggest to use VAN only as a last resort when no other reasoning works to eliminate a choice. Here we have solid reason to prefer D over E.
Chat Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 442
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 21:27
sayantanc2k wrote:
warriorguy wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
The confusion is probably because of the difference in usage between "the way to..." and "the way is by..".

The only way to win is by financing.
The only way to win is to finance.

The first sentence is preferred as already explained by daagh sir above.



Can we use V-A-N rule here to select between D and E?


Good point - this is one way of looking at the problem:
Adverbial phrase: by financing
Noun ( verb infinitive): to finance.
A comes before N.

However I would suggest to use VAN only as a last resort when no other reasoning works to eliminate a choice. Here we have solid reason to prefer D over E.



So we resort to D since it uses 'by'. As per definition, by can be used to denote the medium to achieve the goal and 'to' would be the purpose of performing a action.

E.g. I am sending the recommendation by e-mail. Here 'by' is used to denote the medium or means to achieve the objective. So we could relate it to the original sentence ---> by privately financing and successfully launching a reusable craft - we denote the only method or means to achieve the objective.

If the sentence were in the format as: Using X and Y to win the Ansari prize - we could mark them as correct? Since my goal or reason to perform the action is to win the prize.


Is my understanding correct?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 278
Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 109

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2016, 03:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Verbal Expert,

I could not select between D and E and I finally selected the wrong choice (E) by thinking the below sentence.

The best way to solve this problem is to work hard.
Based on the reasoning that daagh sir wrote, above sentence is also incorrect.

The best/only way to ................... is by ........ -- correct

The best/only way to ................... is to ......... -- incorrect

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4038
Followers: 1416

Kudos [?]: 6778 [1] , given: 84

Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 08:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
macjas wrote:
The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight is for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft on a 62-mile-high flight twice within two weeks with a live human pilot on board.

A. for them to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft
B. if they privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft
C. if a reusable craft is privately financed and successfully launched by them
D. by privately financing and successfully launching a reusable craft
E. to privately finance and successfully launch a reusable craft

I am responding to this question because I saw a report from munnabhaimbbs concerned that the timer flagged (E) as incorrect. The reason the timer flagged (E) as incorrect is that (D) is listed as the OA.

I will say that I was not able to determine the source of this question, but I think it is a low quality question, a question that doesn't reflect well the GMAT SC.

We can nuke (A)-(C) because of the "they"/"them" pronoun mistake. The real choice is between (D) & (E).

I agree with my brilliant colleagues daagh and sayantanc2k that (D) is better than (E). One concern is a matter of idiom:
(D) has "the only way ... is by financing"
(E) has "the only way ... is to finance"

I agree that the former is slightly better than the latter, but the latter is not "wrong." This is more a subtle matter of stylistic preference. This is not the stuff of a true split on a real GMAT SC question.

Also, (E) sounds atrocious because of the split infinitive, "to privately finance." This is also tricky, because while split infinitives seem to appear only on incorrect answer choices on the GMAT SC, a split infinitive itself is NEVER the sole reason why a choice is incorrect. It's always true that the choice is incorrect for some other reason and also happens to have a split infinitive mistake.

On a good GMAT SC question, one choice is right, and each other is wrong for a clearly discernible reason. While I agree that (D) is preferable to (E), I submit that (E) is not wrong they way an answer choice on the GMAT SC might be wrong. This is NOT a GMAT-like question. I have no idea who created it.

By contrast, here's a high quality GMAT SC practice question:
With American cryptanalysts

Please let me know if anyone has any questions.
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 944
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 122

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 10:19
sayantanc2k wrote:
The confusion is probably because of the difference in usage between "the way to..." and "the way is by..".

The only way to win is by financing.
The only way to win is to finance.

The first sentence is preferred as already explained by daagh sir above.



I respectfully disagree with you and Daag. In the following OG, 'to+ infinitive' does not express intention.

The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns.

(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them

(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather returns

(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit


I'm happy if you can cite any OG question that use 'the way to....is by...........'

I'm inclined to Mike's explanation when he said that such an example won't be split in GMAT exam.
Re: The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2016, 10:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Designed to accommodate only 20 million tons of trash ZeeUsuf 4 14 Mar 2014, 05:51
11 The football team's winning it's first game of the season summer101 15 06 Oct 2016, 02:06
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Between 1925 and 1935, 5 million of the 10 million houses gmatbull 15 23 Mar 2017, 12:28
21 The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to vanidhar 16 16 May 2016, 11:19
24 Experts publish their posts in the topic The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to tejal777 19 21 May 2017, 17:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The only way for a team to win the $10 million Ansari X

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.