GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 14:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT Club Tests are Free & Open for Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday!

     January 21, 2019

     January 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open January 21st for celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday.
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.

The overall operating costs of many small farms are reduced when the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jan 2018
Posts: 59
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
The overall operating costs of many small farms are reduced when the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jun 2018, 08:13
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:49) correct 41% (01:49) wrong based on 159 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The overall operating costs of many small farms are reduced when the farmers of small farms eliminate expensive commercial chemical fertilizers and pesticides in favor of crop rotation and the twice-yearly use of manure as fertilizer. Therefore, farmers of large farms should adopt the same measures. They will then realize even greater total savings than do the small farmers.

The argument assumes that


A. it is more cost-effective for small farm farmers to eliminate the use of commercial fertilizers and pesticides than it is for large farm farmers to do so

B. a sufficient amount of manure will be available for the fields of large farm farmers

C. large farm farmers would not realize similar cost benefits by using treated sewage sludge instead of commercial chemical fertilizers

D. large farm farmers generally look to small farm farmers for innovative ways of increasing crop yields or reducing operating costs

E. the smaller the farm, the more control the farmer has over operating costs

Originally posted by aanyajain20 on 03 Jun 2018, 06:36.
Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Jun 2018, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted.
examPAL Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 868
Re: The overall operating costs of many small farms are reduced when the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 07:38
The answer is B.
We can solve this question using the

Precise

approach, as there is enough information to figure out the answer by ourselves.
The passage argues that since a technique (using double the manure, rotating crops)is good for small farms, it will also be good for large farms. This assumes, among other things, that the large farms have the means to implement this technique: that they have the equipment to rotate the crops, and also - (B) that they have enough manure.
_________________

Image
Sign up for 7-day free trial
Image

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1041
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The overall operating costs of many small farms are reduced when the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 22:04
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
The answer is B.
We can solve this question using the

Precise

approach, as there is enough information to figure out the answer by ourselves.
The passage argues that since a technique (using double the manure, rotating crops)is good for small farms, it will also be good for large farms. This assumes, among other things, that the large farms have the means to implement this technique: that they have the equipment to rotate the crops, and also - (B) that they have enough manure.


Hi ,

Can you explain how to eliminate D .
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

examPAL Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 868
Re: The overall operating costs of many small farms are reduced when the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 22:54
arvind910619 wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
The answer is B.
We can solve this question using the

Precise

approach, as there is enough information to figure out the answer by ourselves.
The passage argues that since a technique (using double the manure, rotating crops)is good for small farms, it will also be good for large farms. This assumes, among other things, that the large farms have the means to implement this technique: that they have the equipment to rotate the crops, and also - (B) that they have enough manure.


Hi ,

Can you explain how to eliminate D .


D would be correct if we were informed that the large farms WOULD follow in the footsteps of the small ones. But all we are told is that they SHOULD - therefore, there is no need to assume that they in fact will do so, which D implies.
_________________

Image
Sign up for 7-day free trial
Image

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1041
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The overall operating costs of many small farms are reduced when the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 22:57
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
The answer is B.
We can solve this question using the

Precise

approach, as there is enough information to figure out the answer by ourselves.
The passage argues that since a technique (using double the manure, rotating crops)is good for small farms, it will also be good for large farms. This assumes, among other things, that the large farms have the means to implement this technique: that they have the equipment to rotate the crops, and also - (B) that they have enough manure.


Hi ,

Can you explain how to eliminate D .


D would be correct if we were informed that the large farms WOULD follow in the footsteps of the small ones. But all we are told is that they SHOULD - therefore, there is no need to assume that they in fact will do so, which D implies.


Hi ,
Thanks for the prompt reply .
It is much clear now .
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The overall operating costs of many small farms are reduced when the &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jun 2018, 22:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The overall operating costs of many small farms are reduced when the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.