Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 10:26 It is currently 11 May 2024, 10:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1118 [0]
Send PM
Re: The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new [#permalink]
acfuture wrote:
So if a company wishes to introduce a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

Which of the following, if true, would best support the claims made above?

The so..... is the author's claim.

Only answer choice (D) strenghtens this claim by incorporating the issue of time. Better to debut a new superior product only after the previous model becomes obsolete in the eyes of the consumer. ---> consumer driven marketing strategy.

1:43
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
acfuture wrote:
The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new devices to the market and many of them enjoy commercial success. But analysts warn that announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire: consumers may resent feeling pressured to spend money to replace a device they have just purchased, even if the new technology is clearly superior. The result is that consumers either do not buy the old device in anticipation of the new one, or they do not buy the new device out of resentment over having already spent their money on the old one. So if a company wishes to introduce a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

A. New technology often becomes less expensive after an initial surge in sales.

B. Media outlets such as television and magazines often report on the planned introduction of new devices while sales of old devices are still strong.

C. Consumers are usually able to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.

D. Surveys have shown that consumers prefer to make only one or two technology purchases per year.

E. Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

I need help understanding the logic here. I have read the OE and still kind of confused.

IMO D
C. States an assumption.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I answer D but I know the answer is B
and the explanation for the answer seem to just PRETEND to support
rather than BEST SUPPORT :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
CHEN wrote:
I answer D but I know the answer is B
and the explanation for the answer seem to just PRETEND to support
rather than BEST SUPPORT :?

I am kinda confused with the question. Is it asking for a inference or is it asking to strengthn the argument.!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
just strengthen
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1137 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
C

I think assumptions also strengthen the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
acfuture wrote:
The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new devices to the market and many of them enjoy commercial success. But analysts warn that announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire: consumers may resent feeling pressured to spend money to replace a device they have just purchased, even if the new technology is clearly superior. The result is that consumers either do not buy the old device in anticipation of the new one, or they do not buy the new device out of resentment over having already spent their money on the old one. So if a company wishes to introduce a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

B. Media outlets such as television and magazines often report on the planned introduction of new devices while sales of old devices are still strong.

C. Consumers are usually able to determine whether new technology is superior to current technology.

D. Surveys have shown that consumers prefer to make only one or two technology purchases per year.

E. Consumers tend to be loyal to technology companies whose products they enjoy using.

I need help understanding the logic here. I have read the OE and still kind of confused.

Ill go with C. If consumers are usually unable to determine if new technology is superior, then one of their chief incentives to buy a new version of the product is gone. Hence this is an assumption, which if true, strengthens the argument.

I think D is tricky, because it talks of consumers wanting to make only one or two purchases a year, but says nothing about the number of times a new product might be launched in this span of time
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ok .. guys here is the OA: B and OE see below

The conclusion is that a company should wait until purchases of an old device have begun to decline before introducing a new device. The basis for this claim is that consumers either do not buy the old device because they anticipate the new device or they do not buy the new one out of resentment over having already spent money on the old one. We are asked to strengthen the argument.

(A) The change in the price of the new technology does not influence whether a company should wait until sales begin to decline on an old technology before introuducing a new one.

(B) CORRECT. This states that media outlets such as television and magazines often report on the planned introduction of new devices while sales of old devices are still strong. This supports the claim that consumers are aware of the impending introduction of new devices, and that companies should act accordingly.

(C) The superiority of new technology is irrelevant to the claim that companies should wait until the decline in sales of an older technology.

(D) The number of technology purchases per year does not directly relate to this argument. The argument is about waiting until the consumer demand declines before introducing a new technology. Consumers get wind of the new product and that hurts profitability.

(E) The passage makes no mention of whether the technologies belong to the same company or different companies.

The correct answer is B.

I am still not understanding the logic here... I read and read it over and over again and still was kind of confused...
One of the CR gurus... can you please explain...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 595 [0]
Send PM
The correct answer is indeed B.

The claim is that

"But analysts warn that announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire: consumers may resent feeling pressured to spend money to replace a device they have just purchased, even if the new technology is clearly superior. "

B clearly supports this claim by stating that media outlets announce the new technology even when the sale of older technollogy is strong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
I answered D, but seeing OA, B looks good.

Two arguments has proposed;
1. too early introduction of new tech product will undermine sales of current product
2. too early introduction of new tech product will hurt its sales by making people anticipate next version

B supports only number 1.
But nothing else supports 1 nor 2.
D looked good, but that's only a survey, not their general action patterns.
If D was "Consumers will buy one or two products every year", it would work.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
acfuture wrote:

GOD!!!!! HELP ME FROM THESE DEVILISH QUESTIONS :-(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
dwivedys wrote:
acfuture wrote:

OK Not the one to take things lying down - here comes my rebuttal to the OA

The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new devices to the market and many of them enjoy commercial success. But analysts warn that announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire:

PREMISE - Announcing new technology too soon is not a good idea.

consumers may resent feeling pressured to spend money to replace a device they have just purchased, even if the new technology is clearly superior. The result is that consumers either do not buy the old device in anticipation of the new one, or they do not buy the new device out of resentment over having already spent their money on the old one.

STRENGTHENS THE PREMISE ABOVE - Explains why announcing new tech too soon is not a good idea. Actually, this is an example of a Strengthener that explains WHY the Premise is true.

So if a company wishes to introduce a new device, it should wait until purchases of the old device have begun to decline.

CONCLUSION - Don't announce new technology too soon.

Media reports the new technological offerings while the older tech is being sold --------- This choice only provides an ADDITIONAL SOURCE OF INFORMATION (Apart from Advertisements that the companies might themselves do) for the customers to KNOW that a new technology is in the offing. So apart from citing additional source of information this choice does nothing else to buttress the argument that new technology must not be launched at all. IMO it does not support the Argument WHY the companies shouldn't launch new technology.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dwivedys wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
acfuture wrote:

OK Not the one to take things lying down - here comes my rebuttal to the OA

The pace of new technology brings a constant stream of new devices to the market and many of them enjoy commercial success. But analysts warn that announcing new technology too soon after the introduction of a successful device can backfire:

PREMISE - Announcing new technology too soon is not a good idea.

consumers may resent feeling pressured to spend money to replace a device they have just purchased, even if the new technology is clearly superior. The result is that consumers either do not buy the old device in anticipation of the new one, or they do not buy the new device out of resentment over having already spent their money on the old one.

STRENGTHENS THE PREMISE ABOVE - Explains why announcing new tech too soon is not a good idea. Actually, this is an example of a Strengthener that explains WHY the Premise is true.

CONCLUSION - Don't announce new technology too soon.

Media reports the new technological offerings while the older tech is being sold --------- This choice only provides an ADDITIONAL SOURCE OF INFORMATION (Apart from Advertisements that the companies might themselves do) for the customers to KNOW that a new technology is in the offing. So apart from citing additional source of information this choice does nothing else to buttress the argument that new technology must not be launched at all. IMO it does not support the Argument WHY the companies shouldn't launch new technology.

I felt the same way when I did this problem. I was really confused.

The questions is from Manhattan Gmat CAT. This is considered as a 700-800 CR question... I definetly need more practise. Though I have read some say that Manhattan CR tend to have different logic or so...Not sure...

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts