Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [104]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [45]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [8]
Given Kudos: 834
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [4]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels [#permalink]
Kudos
D for me

Need the "at" at the end for comparison - eliminate A and E

Next thing to figure out is what does "they" refer to ? In options

RyanDe680 wrote:
This one was good.....

The parachute like membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Sciuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

A) because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of [at?]

B) because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at <-- not clear what is "being attached to"

C) in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at <-- "in their attachment" changes the meaning

D) in that they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at

E) in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of [at?]

OA to follow.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Give me D.

They/their - A,C,E - incorrectly refers to the "squirrels" instead of referring to the "membranes"
B - "because of being attached" sounds as if the squirrels are attached to the cartilage rod

B -> out

D wins

There are also errors incomparision
The Sc wants to draw a comparision between - cartilage at the elbow and cartilage at the wrist.
But the modifier errors wer sufficient to reach the correct answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
+1 for D.

"in that" is used to give one way of contrast. (here difference). The choice was between A and D.

We need to ascertain what are the two things being compared:

membranes attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow
VS
membranes attached TO/AT the wrist. => TO/AT is missing in the original sentence. Hence A is out.

D is the winner.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
RyanDe680 wrote:
The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Sciuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

A) because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

B) because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at

C) in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at

E) in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

Can someone explain why option 'A' is incorrect!

instead of - replacement
rather than - preference

here the original sentence says - there is some difference because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

so X is attached to a cartilage rod at elbow instead of (at) the wrist - can 'at' acts like ellipse here?

I felt option D is incorrect as 'rather than' gives the meaning of preference! please explain where am I going wrong
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
RyanDe680 wrote:
The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Sciuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

A) because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

B) because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at

C) in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at

E) in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

instead of - replacement
rather than - preference

here the original sentence says - there is some difference because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

so X is attached to a cartilage rod at elbow instead of (at) the wrist - can 'at' acts like ellipse here?

I felt option D is incorrect as 'rather than' gives the meaning of preference! please explain where am I going wrong

Option A is wrong because of the use of "because" .....The membranes differ not because they are attached to cartilage, but because of some evolutionary and adaptive factors. The required phrase should answer the questions in what way they differ, not why they differ. Therefore the use of " in that" is better than use of "because".

One may replace "instead of" with "rather than" in all cases (although the vice versa is not true).

"Instead of" is applicable for nouns only. "Rather than" is applicable for nouns and all others (including prepositional phrases as in this case). Hence use of "instead of" would be wrong in option D (used for prepositional phrase at the wrist).

but 'in that' also conveys the meaning of 'because'?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
smartguy595 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:

instead of - replacement
rather than - preference

Option A is wrong because of the use of "because" .....The membranes differ not because they are attached to cartilage, but because of some evolutionary and adaptive factors. The required phrase should answer the questions in what way they differ, not why they differ. Therefore the use of " in that" is better than use of "because".

One may replace "instead of" with "rather than" in all cases (although the vice versa is not true).

"Instead of" is applicable for nouns only. "Rather than" is applicable for nouns and all others (including prepositional phrases as in this case). Hence use of "instead of" would be wrong in option D (used for prepositional phrase at the wrist).

but 'in that' also conveys the meaning of 'because'?

I would disagree on this. "In that" does not mean "because". The phrase "in that" is used in response to the question "in what way?". The word "because" is used in response to the question "why?".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Send PM
GMATNinja daagh generis
Can someone please help in explaining this question?
I selected option A but still i'm pretty confused with the pronoun ambiguity in all the options. Also in option D what does 'in that' and 'they' refer to?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos