GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2008, 19:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:48) correct 37% (00:59) wrong based on 671 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Sciuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

(A) because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

(B) because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at

(C) in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at

(D) in that they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at

(E) in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 09:39
smartguy595 wrote:
RyanDe680 wrote:
The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Sciuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

A) because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

B) because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at

C) in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at

D) in that they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at

E) in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

Can someone explain why option 'A' is incorrect!

instead of - replacement
rather than - preference

here the original sentence says - there is some difference because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

so X is attached to a cartilage rod at elbow instead of (at) the wrist - can 'at' acts like ellipse here?

I felt option D is incorrect as 'rather than' gives the meaning of preference! please explain where am I going wrong

Option A is wrong because of the use of "because" .....The membranes differ not because they are attached to cartilage, but because of some evolutionary and adaptive factors. The required phrase should answer the questions in what way they differ, not why they differ. Therefore the use of " in that" is better than use of "because".

One may replace "instead of" with "rather than" in all cases (although the vice versa is not true).

"Instead of" is applicable for nouns only. "Rather than" is applicable for nouns and all others (including prepositional phrases as in this case). Hence use of "instead of" would be wrong in option D (used for prepositional phrase at the wrist).
General Discussion
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Re: The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2008, 20:44
D for me

Need the "at" at the end for comparison - eliminate A and E

Next thing to figure out is what does "they" refer to ? In options

RyanDe680 wrote:
This one was good.....

The parachute like membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Sciuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

A) because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of [at?]

B) because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at <-- not clear what is "being attached to"

C) in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at <-- "in their attachment" changes the meaning

E) in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of [at?]

OA to follow.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2008, 07:11
RyanDe680 wrote:
This one was good.....

C) in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at

OA to follow.

D too.
While "being" is sometimes correct, "being" in this problem is not. To me, "being" in GMAT is correct only when it acts as a noun. Eliminate B, C, E.
It was a close call, but I eliminated A because I feel that D has clearer sentence.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2008, 20:05
I choose D.

The answer choice needs to have "rather than" to make a proper comparison.
This is present in B and D.
Being is ambigious in B. So that leaves D.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Jul 2016, 06:14
The parachute like membranes of Africa’s scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Scuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

A – because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of
B – because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at
C – in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at
D – in that they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather that at
E – in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

Originally posted by Ashwin_Mohan on 09 Jul 2008, 15:45.
Last edited by Vyshak on 15 Jul 2016, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2008, 18:25
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
The parachutelike membranes of Africa’s scaly-tailed flying squirrels differ from those of the flying squirrels in the family Scuridae because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

A – because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of
B – because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at
C – in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at
D – in that they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather that at
E – in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

Have fun with this guys!!....yea yea I got it wrong!!

though I don't like "they" in D I will go for D by POE.
VP
VP
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2008, 18:41
Give me D.

They/their - A,C,E - incorrectly refers to the "squirrels" instead of referring to the "membranes"
B - "because of being attached" sounds as if the squirrels are attached to the cartilage rod

B -> out

D wins

There are also errors incomparision
The Sc wants to draw a comparision between - cartilage at the elbow and cartilage at the wrist.
But the modifier errors wer sufficient to reach the correct answer
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2009, 15:03

Oa:D

SO let;s get started.A and B are out because Differ..in is to be used.
Between C,D and E we can choose D Because Being is mostly considered incorrect in GMAT.
However,sometimes BEING IS considered to be correct..so I got a bt confused in this question.Moreover,D has the same problem with the other options "that/their" does not have a refferent.Please clarify.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2011, 00:33
+1 for D.

"in that" is used to give one way of contrast. (here difference). The choice was between A and D.

We need to ascertain what are the two things being compared:

membranes attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow
VS
membranes attached TO/AT the wrist. => TO/AT is missing in the original sentence. Hence A is out.

D is the winner.

Crick
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2011, 12:21
+1 D

We need parallelism: at...at
instead of is not correct with "at" (at is a preposition too).

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 00:38
RyanDe680 wrote:

instead of - replacement
rather than - preference

here the original sentence says - there is some difference because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of the wrist.

so X is attached to a cartilage rod at elbow instead of (at) the wrist - can 'at' acts like ellipse here?

I felt option D is incorrect as 'rather than' gives the meaning of preference! please explain where am I going wrong

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 10:20
sayantanc2k wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
RyanDe680 wrote:

instead of - replacement
rather than - preference

Option A is wrong because of the use of "because" .....The membranes differ not because they are attached to cartilage, but because of some evolutionary and adaptive factors. The required phrase should answer the questions in what way they differ, not why they differ. Therefore the use of " in that" is better than use of "because".

One may replace "instead of" with "rather than" in all cases (although the vice versa is not true).

"Instead of" is applicable for nouns only. "Rather than" is applicable for nouns and all others (including prepositional phrases as in this case). Hence use of "instead of" would be wrong in option D (used for prepositional phrase at the wrist).

but 'in that' also conveys the meaning of 'because'?

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 10:28
smartguy595 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:

instead of - replacement
rather than - preference

but 'in that' also conveys the meaning of 'because'?

I would disagree on this. "In that" does not mean "because". The phrase "in that" is used in response to the question "in what way?". The word "because" is used in response to the question "why?".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 10:31
sayantanc2k,

Noted! thank you :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 03:14
the correct idiomatic expression with 'differ' is 'differ in...', so a-b are out. (if you said 'differ because', you'd have to give the reason behind the genesis of the difference, not the nature of the difference itself.) that leaves c-d-e, which all contain the supposedly ambiguous pronoun - so you're stuck with it.
"being" is a big problem. if you don't realize it's a big problem, you should recalibrate your idea of what's a big problem and what's not.
remember, the gmat is the only authority on these things, and the gmat really, really, really doesn't like "being" when you're discussing the identity or properties of things.

--

however, there's an even bigger problem: "because" is wrong.
in formal writing, "because" signifies an actual cause-effect relationship. if the latter thing didn't actually cause the former thing, then you can't use the word "because".

examples:

my brother and i are different in that he takes life much more seriously than i do.
according to this sentence, the way in which my brother and i are different is that he's a more serious guy than i am.
no cause and effect here.

my brother and i are different because he takes life much more seriously than i do.
according to this sentence, his more serious character, and my less serious one, have caused differences in us. in other words, the pre-existing difference in our character has actually led to further differences between us.
cause and effect relationship.

in this sentence, you're clearly trying to say that the cartilage rod attachment IS the difference, not that it causes the difference. therefore, "because" is incorrect.

As per Ron
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 01:54

(A) because they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of

(B) because of being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at

(C) in their attachment to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of being attached at

(D) in that they are attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow rather than at

(E) in their being attached to a cartilage rod at the elbow instead of
Ok answer is d.
But still I have some issues with d.
It is not clear what they is referring to membranes or squirrels.
Please clarify this point
Re: The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2018, 01:54

The parachutelike membranes of Africa's scaly-tailed flying squirrels

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap