GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 00:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 4567
GPA: 3.39
The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 03:15
2
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 91 sessions

44% (02:46) correct 56% (03:24) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 84 sessions

33% (00:59) correct 67% (00:53) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 93 sessions

38% (01:17) correct 62% (01:30) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Passage # 449, Date: 13-Nov-2019
This post is a part of New Project RC Butler 2019. Click here for Details


The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural and artistic products of the High Classical Period. Yet, scholars have struggled to reach a consensus interpretation for the meaning of the Parthenon frieze. The study of this particular sculptural element of the Parthenon, a continuous band of sculpture that ran round the top of the building’s temple-chamber, has proven quite difficult.

Today only 423 feet of the original 524 survive, and of those, 247 feet are housed in the British Museum in London. Another large section is now in the Acropolis Museum in Athens, and still other pieces reside in exhibits throughout Europe, making it a difficult task to discuss, let alone experience the unified whole the designers wished the audience to witness—a key element in deciphering any work of art.

Denied the opportunity to study the frieze as it existed in antiquity, scholars are faced with the burden of reconstructing the visual experience of the monument before they can even begin interpreting it. To do so, an inventory is taken of characters and figure-types represented on the frieze and their arrangement. Then this inventory is compared to historical precedents and placed in its contemporary context in the hopes of using prior examples to decipher its meaning. Considering the various fragments of the Parthenon frieze as a whole and comparing it to other Greek artworks, two aspects of the arrangement immediately strike the informed viewer.

First, it is clear that the frieze is meant to be thought of as a continuous whole. This is particularly interesting because it is completely unprecedented in Greek art.Continuous friezes on 20 the faces of Greek temples generally depicted single subjects, but if continued over all four sides of a building, the four stretches of the frieze would generally be thematically separate.

The second unique aspect of the Parthenon frieze has to do with the fundamental nature of Greek art: namely that all works of art prior to the Parthenon frieze depicted only scenes from myth and legend. Yet, in this relief, for the first time in the history of Greek art, we find mortals, leading some scholars to the conclusion that what is depicted is a specific event that actually took place at a particular time and place.

Spoiler: :: OA
D

1. In the context in which it appears, the word “informed” (Highlighted) most nearly means

(A) assiduous
(B) artistic
(C) unique
(D) erudite
(E) scientific


Spoiler: :: OA
C

2. Which of the following would be the best title for the above passage?

(A) The Parthenon Frieze: An Insoluble Sculptural Mystery
(B) The Parthenon Frieze and Methods of Artistic Interpretation
(C) The Parthenon Frieze: Idiosyncratic Stonework
(D) Mortals in Greek Art
(E) The Parthenon Frieze: Continuity of Character


Spoiler: :: OA
D

3. According to the passage, each of the following is true about the Parthenon EXCEPT:

(A) It was constructed in the High Classical Period.
(B) It has been seen as a great work of art.
(C) It was featured on a temple-chamber.
(D) It is not known how it looked at the time of its construction.
(E) It contained a one-of-a-kind sculptural element.


_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: No knowledge goes waste
Joined: 12 Jul 2019
Posts: 63
Location: Norway
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Re: The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 22:07
need explanation for q1. For q2 , i was confused between A and C.
Senior RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 4567
GPA: 3.39
Re: The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 02:40
Hea234ven wrote:
need explanation for q1. For q2 , i was confused between A and C.


Official Explanation


1. In the context in which it appears, the word “informed” (Highlighted) most nearly means

Explanation

Choice (A) is wrong because “assiduous” means diligent, which is irrelevant here.

Choice (B) is wrong because the people studying art do not have to be “artistic.”

Choice (C) is a trap built on the uniqueness of the Parthenon, but “informed” is not describing the Parthenon.

Choice (D) is correct because “erudite” means knowledgeable, and knowledge would allow someone viewing the frieze to recognize its unique qualities.

Choice (E) is wrong because this is a question of knowledge, not applying technical, or “scientific,” skills.

Answer: D


2. Which of the following would be the best title for the above passage?

Explanation

Choice (A) is wrong because many of its characteristics have in fact been worked out.

Choice (B) is wrong because the passage is not primarily about artistic interpretation.

Choice (C) is correct because “idiosyncratic” is a synonym for unique, and the frieze is said to be unique in two ways.

Choice (D) is incorrect because only one paragraph discusses the existence of mortals in the frieze and because this title is much too broad.

Choice (E) is a trap: all sides of the frieze are continuous, not the individual characters.

Answer: C


Hope it helps
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Mar 2018
Posts: 22
Schools: XLRI
Re: The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 05:57
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hea234ven wrote:
need explanation for q1. For q2 , i was confused between A and C.


Official Explanation


1. In the context in which it appears, the word “informed” (Highlighted) most nearly means

Explanation

Choice (A) is wrong because “assiduous” means diligent, which is irrelevant here.

Choice (B) is wrong because the people studying art do not have to be “artistic.”

Choice (C) is a trap built on the uniqueness of the Parthenon, but “informed” is not describing the Parthenon.

Choice (D) is correct because “erudite” means knowledgeable, and knowledge would allow someone viewing the frieze to recognize its unique qualities.

Choice (E) is wrong because this is a question of knowledge, not applying technical, or “scientific,” skills.

Answer: D


2. Which of the following would be the best title for the above passage?

Explanation

Choice (A) is wrong because many of its characteristics have in fact been worked out.

Choice (B) is wrong because the passage is not primarily about artistic interpretation.

Choice (C) is correct because “idiosyncratic” is a synonym for unique, and the frieze is said to be unique in two ways.

Choice (D) is incorrect because only one paragraph discusses the existence of mortals in the frieze and because this title is much too broad.

Choice (E) is a trap: all sides of the frieze are continuous, not the individual characters.

Answer: C


Hope it helps


Hi, Could you also post the solution for the third question?

I am stuck between C and D. Could not find evidence to support either...Both are given for Patheorn Frieze but none for the Patheon itself in my opinion. Please help
Senior RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 4567
GPA: 3.39
The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 11:14
Quote:

Hi, Could you also post the solution for the third question?

I am stuck between C and D. Could not find evidence to support either...Both are given for Patheorn Frieze but none for the Patheon itself in my opinion. Please help


Official Explanation


3. According to the passage, each of the following is true about the Parthenon EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Choice (A) is incorrect because the first sentence indicates that the Parthenon was constructed in the “High Classical Period.”

Choice (B) is incorrect because the same sentence says that the Parthenon was “regarded as a great architectural and artistic product.”

Choice (C) is incorrect because the frieze is said to have come from the “temple-chamber” of the Parthenon.

Choice (D) is correct because the passage says only that it is “difficult to study” the frieze because not all of it survives “today” and the surviving parts are in different locations. This doesn’t necessarily mean that today’s scholars don’t know what the missing portions looked like at the time of construction (perhaps drawings of the Parthenon survive, for example).

Choice (E) is incorrect because the frieze is described as “unique” and defined as a “structural element” of the Parthenon.

Answer: D


Hope it helps
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2019, 11:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne