It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 02:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1476
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2010, 15:32
3
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

81% (01:08) correct 19% (01:10) wrong based on 559 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: CR 116
Page: 501

The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be developed unless heavy development costs can be recouped in later sales, the current 20 years of protection provided by patents should be extended in the case of newly developed drugs. However, in other industries new-product development continues despite high development costs, a fact that indicates that the extension is unnecessary.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the pharmaceutical industry’s argument against the challenge made above?

(A) No industries other than the pharmaceutical industry have asked for an extension of the 20-year limit on patent protection.

(B) Clinical trials of new drugs, which occur after the patent is granted and before the new drug can be marketed, often now take as long as 10 years to complete.

(C) There are several industries in which the ratio of research and development costs to revenues is higher than it is in the pharmaceutical industry.

(D) An existing patent for a drug does not legally prevent pharmaceutical companies from bringing to market alternative drugs, provided they are sufficiently dissimilar to the patented drug.

(E) Much recent industrial innovation has occurred in products—for example, in the computer and electronics industries—for which patent protection is often very ineffective.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Last edited by hazelnut on 31 Jan 2018, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Affiliations: SPG
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 323
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2010, 23:00
1
This post received
KUDOS

IMO B

In B we give credibility to the claim of the pharmaceutical industry. The 10 year period required for the clinical tests to complete is the reason why the patent is held for 20 years. Thus, B is the best choice to support their claim.


_________________

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1466
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2010, 10:14
(A) No industries other than the pharmaceutical industry have asked for an extension of the 20-year limit on patent protection. - irrelevant

(B) Clinical trials of new drugs, which occur after the patent is granted and before the new drug can be marketed, often now take as long as 10 years to complete. - correct

(C) There are several industries in which the ratio of research and development costs to revenues is higher than it is in the pharmaceutical industry. - we are not talking abt other industries

(D) An existing patent for a drug does not legally prevent pharmaceutical companies from bringing to market alternative drugs, provided they are sufficiently dissimilar to the patented drug. - this actually weakens the phramaceutical industry's claim.

(E) Much recent industrial innovation has occurred in products—for example, in the computer and electronics industries—for which patent protection is often very ineffective. - we are not talking abt other industries
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 390
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2010, 14:02
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
noboru wrote:
The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be developed unless heavy development costs can be recouped in later sales, the current 20 years of protection provided by patents should be extended in the case of newly developed drugs. However, in other industries new-product development continues despite high development costs, a fact that indicates that the extension is unnecessary.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the pharmaceutical industry’s argument against the challenge made above?
(A) No industries other than the pharmaceutical industry have asked for an extension of the 20-year limit on patent protection.
(B) Clinical trials of new drugs, which occur after the patent is granted and before the new drug can be marketed, often now take as long as 10 years to complete.
(C) There are several industries in which the ratio of research and development costs to revenues is higher than it is in the pharmaceutical industry.
(D) An existing patent for a drug does not legally prevent pharmaceutical companies from bringing to market alternative drugs, provided they are sufficiently dissimilar to the patented drug.
(E) Much recent industrial innovation has occurred in products—for example, in the computer and electronics industries—for which patent protection is often very ineffective.


A. Other industries not the concern here.
B. That could be a difference with other industries, and make a good point why this specific industry needs a longer term of protection compared to other industries.
C. Doesn't support the pharm. industry.
D. Doesn't support the pharm. industry.
E. Doesn't support the pharm. industry.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 67
Location: Astoria, NYC
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2010, 14:17
noboru wrote:
The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be developed unless heavy development costs can be recouped in later sales, the current 20 years of protection provided by patents should be extended in the case of newly developed drugs. However, in other industries new-product development continues despite high development costs, a fact that indicates that the extension is unnecessary.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the pharmaceutical industry’s argument against the challenge made above?
(A) No industries other than the pharmaceutical industry have asked for an extension of the 20-year limit on patent protection.
(B) Clinical trials of new drugs, which occur after the patent is granted and before the new drug can be marketed, often now take as long as 10 years to complete.
(C) There are several industries in which the ratio of research and development costs to revenues is higher than it is in the pharmaceutical industry.
(D) An existing patent for a drug does not legally prevent pharmaceutical companies from bringing to market alternative drugs, provided they are sufficiently dissimilar to the patented drug.
(E) Much recent industrial innovation has occurred in products—for example, in the computer and electronics industries—for which patent protection is often very ineffective.


I think B is the only one that further supports the claim by pharmaceutical companies that patent protections should be extended further than 20 years. The fact that it takes 10 years to finish clinical trials which is half the time that patents are protected for.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 215
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2010, 19:00
What is the qs asking?
"in other industries new-product development continues despite high development costs, a fact that indicates that the extension is unnecessary."
Is it asking for an answer that supports that extension is unnecessary?? If so then why not A??
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1476
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2010, 15:27
OA is B.

Of the 20 years, only half are effective so it is ok for these companies to ask for an extension.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 483
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 04:45
noboru wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
Is this a GMAT Prep question ?


yes it is

Hi can you Please tag the source especially if its GMATPREP .I thought You always posted LSAT Questions.Thanks
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1476
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 06:51
mundasingh123 wrote:
noboru wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
Is this a GMAT Prep question ?


yes it is

Hi can you Please tag the source especially if its GMATPREP .I thought You always posted LSAT Questions.Thanks


Yes. I usually post LSAT question (I promise more very soon!). This one was an exception!
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 142
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2011, 22:33
B is the answer.
This is an OG 12 Question. and the OA there is also B.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 321
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2011, 02:33
B. Definitely strengthens their argument.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 98
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2011, 02:38
I also think is b; it logically supports the extension of the patent
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: GMAT in 4 weeks
Joined: 28 Mar 2010
Posts: 176
GPA: 3.89
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2011, 12:08
I think option E needs to be considered. It states that in other new industries patent protection is often very ineffective. So they dont bother asking for extension.
_________________

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 247
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2012, 08:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
seekmba wrote:
(A) No industries other than the pharmaceutical industry have asked for an extension of the 20-year limit on patent protection. - irrelevant

(B) Clinical trials of new drugs, which occur after the patent is granted and before the new drug can be marketed, often now take as long as 10 years to complete. - correct

(C) There are several industries in which the ratio of research and development costs to revenues is higher than it is in the pharmaceutical industry. - we are not talking abt other industries

(D) An existing patent for a drug does not legally prevent pharmaceutical companies from bringing to market alternative drugs, provided they are sufficiently dissimilar to the patented drug. - this actually weakens the phramaceutical industry's claim.

(E) Much recent industrial innovation has occurred in products—for example, in the computer and electronics industries—for which patent protection is often very ineffective. - we are not talking abt other industries


IMO, D is a strong contender.
Assume that company C1 gets a patent and brings a product to the market. Immediately another company C2 produces a similar drug (but complies with the law as per D). Because for the company C2 there is no research cost and less development cost, C2 can bring the drug for lesser price compared to C1's. Hence C1 is forced to slash its price as well, which means they are not able to recoup development cost in later sales. This fact is stated in the first line of the argument. Hence D supports, but does not weakens.

But B is better than D, because if patent expiry time is extended, there will be less no. of companies who will be creating 'similar' drugs. Otherwise, there will be many companies who will create EXACT products immediately after the patent expiry.
_________________

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2015
Posts: 119
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 05:29
hussi9 wrote:
I think option E needs to be considered. It states that in other new industries patent protection is often very ineffective. So they dont bother asking for extension.


Exactly my thoughts. I did not find answer to this reasoning still.

Ron at Manhattan forum did explain another way to look E. But still I agree with your point.

Any help would be appreciated.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 89
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 09:56
The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be developed unless heavy development costs can be recouped in later sales, the current 20 years of protection provided by patents should be extended in the case of newly developed drugs. However, in other industries new-product development continues despite high development costs, a fact that indicates that the extension is unnecessary.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the pharmaceutical industry’s argument against the challenge made above?

(A) No industries other than the pharmaceutical industry have asked for an extension of the 20-year limit on patent protection.
Choice A is incorrect: the fact that the pharmaceutical industry’s request is unique does nothing to justify that request.

(B) Clinical trials of new drugs, which occur after the patent is granted and before the new drug can be marketed, often now take as long as 10 years to complete.
Choice B is the best answer because it provides an explanation: required clinical trials prevent new drugs from being sold for much of the time they receive patent protection.

(C) There are several industries in which the ratio of research and development costs to revenues is higher than it is in the pharmaceutical industry.
it undermines the pharmaceutical industry’s argument, so it is incorrect

(D) An existing patent for a drug does not legally prevent pharmaceutical companies from bringing to market alternative drugs, provided they are sufficiently dissimilar to the patented drug.
Choice D indicates that alternative drugs might render patent protection worthless, but that is clearly no reason to extend the protection.

(E) Much recent industrial innovation has occurred in products—for example, in the computer and electronics industries—for which patent protection is often very ineffective.
it undermines the pharmaceutical industry’s argument, so it is incorrect


Can someone explain option D in more detail?
_________________

Regards,
Varun


Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Re: The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2017, 09:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The pharmaceutical industry argues that because new drugs will not be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.