GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The popular professors suggest that a university permits their failing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
The popular professors suggest that a university permits their failing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:52) correct 34% (01:04) wrong based on 179 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The popular professors suggest that a university permits their failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue a different course of study at their leisure until they improve their grades.

A that a university permits their failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue

B universities to permit their failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education that they can pursue

C that a university permit its failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue

D universities permitting a failing student whose postgraduate education would otherwise be abandoned the pursuit of

E universities to permit a failing student whose postgraduate education would otherwise be abandoned the pursuit of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Re: The popular professors suggest that a university permits their failing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 14:02
aaba wrote:
The popular professors suggest that a university permits their failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue a different course of study at their leisure until they improve their grades.

A that a university permits their failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue

B universities to permit their failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education that they can pursue

C that a university permit its failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue

D universities permitting a failing student whose postgraduate education would otherwise be abandoned the pursuit of

E universities to permit a failing student whose postgraduate education would otherwise be abandoned the pursuit of

C

Sent from my BND-AL10 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V25
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The popular professors suggest that a university permits their failing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 14:07
i suppose suggest + that is necessary.... some one can correct me if i am wrong... also "a university permits" is wrong hence...
imo C
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 17:34
Hi aaba,

Thank you for your quetsion. This one was trickly, so I took some time to look over this question, and I think I have a good strategy for answering it quickly.

One of the first things that jumped out at me when looking over the answers quickly was pronoun usage. So let's look over each answer, checking to make sure there are no vague pronouns or pronoun agreement issues:

A: that a university permits their failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue
This is a WRONG answer because the pronoun "their" is too vague. It's unclear whether that's referring to the professors' students or the university's students.

B: universities to permit their failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education that they can pursue
Since we're talking about a group of professors proposing one plan for failing students, it's more likely that the professors all work at the same university. Therefore, this is WRONG because it messes with the intended meaning.

C: that a university permit its failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue
This is CORRECT because the pronoun "its" is clearly referring to "a university," which is a collective noun that always gets a singular pronoun. There is no mistaking "its" as referring to the plural "professors."

D: universities permitting a failing student whose postgraduate education would otherwise be abandoned the pursuit of
This is WRONG because it uses the singular phrase "a failing student." This doesn't agree with the later plural phrase "until they improve their grades."

E: universities to permit a failing student whose postgraduate education would otherwise be abandoned the pursuit of
This is WRONG for the same reason as D - the use of the singular "a failing student" doesn't agree in number with the plural "until they improve their grades."

So, by looking at pronoun agreement and vague pronouns alone, we can easily narrow it down to one correct answer!

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: EDHEC (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 11:53
C because of the need of the subjunctive construction :D
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 03:05
GMATNinja
In C shouldn't it be University permits
Please help

aaba wrote:

Regards,
Adi

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 03:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Adi93 wrote:
GMATNinja
Please help

aaba wrote:

Hi Adi,

the sentence is in subjunctive mood (command/demand/suggestion/necessity). In subjunctive mood, the most basic form of verb is used. (no -s at the end)

check out the video below from 6:00 on. :)

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V33

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 06:39
that a university permit its failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue - Can anyone tell me if a singular WHO CAN Follow the plural Students ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
renjana wrote:
that a university permit its failing students who would otherwise abandon postgraduate education to pursue - Can anyone tell me if a singular WHO CAN Follow the plural Students ?

Who is relative pronoun, which did not care about singular or plural u have to chose verb accordingly wrt singular or plural.

Sent from my BND-AL10 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
The popular professors suggest that a university permits their failing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 06:56
renjana wrote:

renjana

Who vs whose is not a determining factor in this Q. Did you get to PoE ie knowing why an option is incorrect?

I think you are concentrating more on active vs passive voice when there are few other issues to worry about.

Posted from my mobile device

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 08:15
renjana wrote:

Hi renjana, all relative pronouns (including who) can refer to both singular and to plural nouns.

For example, both the following are correct:

i) The child who visits me, is in grade III.
- who refers to singular child

ii) The children who visit me, are in grade III.
- who refers to plural children

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Relative Pronouns, their properties and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 08:25
IMO C

A and E -- Pronoun issue
B and D -- Meaning issue.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 10:06

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 23:20
Adi93 wrote:
GMATNinja
Please help

aaba wrote:

Hello Adi,

I'll help you if you don't mind.

The word suggest is a subjunctive verb. And hence needs a subjunctive verb structure.

Structure- subjunctive verb+ that + subject + plural verb.

There is a list of subjunctive verbs which you shld memorise.

Second distinction between answer choices for POE is the pronoun usage - university is singular entity hence should be followed by a singular pronoun.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: The popular professors suggest that a university permits their failing   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 23:20

The popular professors suggest that a university permits their failing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap