Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2555 [9]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [7]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: The probability that a convenience store has cans of iced [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
aditi2013 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
1. The probability that a convenience store has cans of iced tea in stock is 50%. If James stops by 3 convenience stores on his way to work, what is the probability that he will be able to buy a can of iced tea?

James will be able to buy a can of iced tea if at least one of the shops has it and the probability that at least one of the shops has an iced tea is P=1-(none of the shops has an iced tea)=1-P(NNN)=1-1/2^3=7/8.

2. The probability that a convenience store has no iced tea is 50%. If James stops by 3 convenience stores on his way to work, what is the probability that at least one of the stores will not have a can of iced tea?

The probability that at least one of the stores will not have a can of iced tea is 1-(all shops have an iced tea)=1-P(YYY)=1-1/2^2=7/8. Notice that we have the same answer as above. That's because the probability distribution is symmetrical for this question thus the probability that at least one of the stores will NOT have a can of iced tea = the probability that at least one of the stores will have a can of iced tea

3. The probability that a convenience store has cans of iced tea in stock is 50%. If James stops by 3 convenience stores on his way to work, what is the probability that he will not be able to buy a can of iced tea?

James won't be able to buy a can of iced tea if none of the shops has it: P(NNN)=1/2^3=1/8.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

WRT Q2.

P(atleast one does not have)= P(one does not have) + P( two don't have) + P(all 3 don't have)

= P(one does not have)*P(2 have) +
P (2 don't have)*P(one has) +
P(all 3 don't have)
= 1/2*1/2*1/2 + 1/4*1/2 + 1/8
= 3/8

Why is it giving me a wrong answer?I know I am missing something.

Can someone please explain?

Infact Is my methos wrong, coz i am trying to solve Qs by this method. I understood the 1-p methos as well.

Direct probability approach:
One store does not have an iced tea: P(YYN)=3*1/2*1/2^2=3/8 (multiplying by 3 as scenario YYN can occur in 3!/2!=3 ways: YYN, YNY, NYY);
Two shops does not have an iced tea: P(YNN)=3*1/2^2*1/2=3/8 (multiplying by 3 as scenario YNN can occur in 3!/2!=3 ways: YNN, NYN, NNY);
All three shops does not have an iced tea: P(NNN)=1/2^3=1/8;

P=3/8+3/8+1/8=7/8.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
aditi2013 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
1. The probability that a convenience store has cans of iced tea in stock is 50%. If James stops by 3 convenience stores on his way to work, what is the probability that he will be able to buy a can of iced tea?

James will be able to buy a can of iced tea if at least one of the shops has it and the probability that at least one of the shops has an iced tea is P=1-(none of the shops has an iced tea)=1-P(NNN)=1-1/2^3=7/8.

2. The probability that a convenience store has no iced tea is 50%. If James stops by 3 convenience stores on his way to work, what is the probability that at least one of the stores will not have a can of iced tea?

The probability that at least one of the stores will not have a can of iced tea is 1-(all shops have an iced tea)=1-P(YYY)=1-1/2^2=7/8. Notice that we have the same answer as above. That's because the probability distribution is symmetrical for this question thus the probability that at least one of the stores will NOT have a can of iced tea = the probability that at least one of the stores will have a can of iced tea

3. The probability that a convenience store has cans of iced tea in stock is 50%. If James stops by 3 convenience stores on his way to work, what is the probability that he will not be able to buy a can of iced tea?

James won't be able to buy a can of iced tea if none of the shops has it: P(NNN)=1/2^3=1/8.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

WRT Q2.

P(atleast one does not have)= P(one does not have) + P( two don't have) + P(all 3 don't have)

= P(one does not have)*P(2 have) +
P (2 don't have)*P(one has) +
P(all 3 don't have)
= 1/2*1/2*1/2 + 1/4*1/2 + 1/8
= 3/8

Why is it giving me a wrong answer?I know I am missing something.

Can someone please explain?

Infact Is my methos wrong, coz i am trying to solve Qs by this method. I understood the 1-p methos as well.

Direct probability approach:
One store does not have an iced tea: P(YYN)=3*1/2*1/2^2=3/8 (multiplying by 3 as scenario YYN can occur in 3!/2!=3 ways: YYN, YNY, NYY);
Two shops does not have an iced tea: P(YNN)=3*1/2^2*1/2=3/8 (multiplying by 3 as scenario YNN can occur in 3!/2!=3 ways: YNN, NYN, NNY);
All three shops does not have an iced tea: P(NNN)=1/2^3=1/8;

P=3/8+3/8+1/8=7/8.

Hope it's clear.

Thanks Bunuel. I am really glad that I am a GC member.

Just one last Question, how do we come to know that we have to take the scenarios of possible positions of the outcomes (like yyn, yny, nyy)??
I often miss on that. Also is there a general rule which applies here to take the positions into account.
I have read all theory but guess challenges come only when u start solving. Pls help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 659
Schools: LBS MFA "23
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

In question 1, it is asked a can of iced tea so dont we have to find the probability that only one shop had the can and none others?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts