Last visit was: 21 Jul 2024, 09:34 It is currently 21 Jul 2024, 09:34
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 642740 [33]
Given Kudos: 86716
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1265 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 642740 [0]
Given Kudos: 86716
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The Reason Behind Absolute Value Questions on the GMAT [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
[rss2posts title="Veritas Prep Blog" title_url="https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/06/the-reason-behind-absolute-value-questions-on-the-gmat/" sub_title="The Reason Behind Absolute Value Questions on the GMAT"]

|x| = x if x >= 0

|x| = -x if x < 0

So you can substitute x for |x| to make it a regular equation but only if x is non negative. If x is negative, then you put -x instead of |x| to convert it into a simple equation. And that is the reason you need to take positive and negative values of what is inside the absolute value sign.

VeritasKarishma ,
I still don't understand WHY |x| = -x when x<0.
To my understanding |x| is the distance of x from zero and distances are not negative. So, then why?
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 227
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
The Reason Behind Absolute Value Questions on the GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Karmesh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
[rss2posts title="Veritas Prep Blog" title_url="https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/06/the-reason-behind-absolute-value-questions-on-the-gmat/" sub_title="The Reason Behind Absolute Value Questions on the GMAT"]

|x| = x if x >= 0

|x| = -x if x < 0

So you can substitute x for |x| to make it a regular equation but only if x is non negative. If x is negative, then you put -x instead of |x| to convert it into a simple equation. And that is the reason you need to take positive and negative values of what is inside the absolute value sign.

VeritasKarishma ,
To my understanding |x| is the distance of x from zero and distances are not negative. So, then why?

What is l-7l, it is the distance of -7, on the number line, from zero.
No let's follow the formula lxl = -(x) iff x<0,
Here x=-7, cool.
so answer is - (-7), i.e. 7.

So, the absolute value (read distance from zero on the number line) of -7 is 7

Hope this helps. Karmesh

Click HERE
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66762 [0]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Expert Reply
Karmesh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

|x| = x if x >= 0

|x| = -x if x < 0

VeritasKarishma ,

You are ignoring the second part of the statement: "when x < 0"
When x itself is NEGATIVE, -x is POSITIVE. Of course, distance is positive. Hence when x itself is positive, |x| is x but when x itself is negative, you need to make it positive by making it -x.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
KarishmaB how to identify while opening these cases as to when to make them equal also given that the quest 2 has an inequality
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Question 2:  If x and y are integers and y = |x+3| + |4-x|, does y equal 7?

Statement 1: x < 4

Statement 2: x > -3

Solution: Now what do you do when you have y = |x+3| + |4-x|? How do you convert this into a regular equation? You don’t know whether whatever is in the absolute value sign is positive or negative. How will you get rid of the sign then? You will work on all the cases (messy algebra coming up!).

Now, we see the same logic in this question:

y = |x+3| + |4-x|

|x+3| = (x+3) if (x+3) >= 0. In other words, if x >= -3

|x+3| = -(x+3) if (x+3) < 0. In other words, if x < -3

|4-x| = (4-x) if (4-x) >= 0. In other words, if x <= 4

|4-x| = -(4-x) if (4-x) < 0. In other words, if x > 4

So our absolute values behave differently when x < -3, between -3 and 4 and when x > 4. We say that -3 and 4 are our transition points.

Case 1:

When x < -3, |x+3| = -(x+3) and |4-x| = (4-x).

So the equation becomes y = -(x+3) + (4-x)

y = 1 – 2x

For different values of x, y will take different values. Recall that x must be less than -3. Say x = -4, then y = 9. If x = -5, y = 11.

Case 2:

When -3 <= x <= 4, |x+3| = (x+3) and |4-x| = (4-x).

So the equation becomes y = (x+3) + (4-x)

y = 7

In this range, y will always be 7.

Case 3:

When x > 4, |x+3| = (x+3) and |4-x| = -(4-x)

So the equation becomes y = (x+3) – (4-x)

y = 2x – 1

For different values of x, y will take different values. Recall that x must be more than 4. Say x = 5, then y is 9. If x = 6, then y is 11.

Note that y equals 7 only when x is between -3 and 4. Both statements together tell us that x is between -3 and 4. No statement alone gives us this information. Hence, using both statements, we know that y must be 7.

Answer (C)

From all the cases solved why does Y have to be 7. This is the part I do not understand. Someone plox help.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 853 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94440 posts