GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 863
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 22:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:11) correct 22% (01:10) wrong based on 177 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and be used as a fuel in a way similar to that of the original fossil fuel that was used to create it.

A. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and
B. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
C. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material while
D. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
E. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that the moment that a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or

_________________

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4455
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Apr 2017, 06:27
A. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and --- The correct idiom is either x or y; wrong

B. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or --- The reason—because is redundant
C. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material while --- either while is wrong idiom

D. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or --- looks ok; more concise than E

E. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that the moment that a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or ---- Ok but wordy; very rare to see the lack of concision as the sole cause of rejecting a choice.
[color=#0000ff]
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509


Originally posted by daagh on 03 Aug 2015, 23:29.
Last edited by daagh on 09 Apr 2017, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 156
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 01:50
I agree with you...then in such case no option seems correct....
_________________

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Posts: 10
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 02:36
reto wrote:
The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and used as a fuel in a way similar to that of the original fossil fuel that was used to create it.

A. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and
B. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
C. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material while
D. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
E. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that the moment that a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or



In option A the reason .......... is that makes odd. Again "and" make also misleading meaning.
In option B is as similar as A and also the reason ...... is because makes the sentence ambiguous.
In option C has the mistake of using "while".
In option D is precise and has clear meaning.
In option E is wordy.
So, i think correct answer would be option D :evil:
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 651
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 05:29
reto wrote:
The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and used as a fuel in a way similar to that of the original fossil fuel that was used to create it.

A. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and
B. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
C. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material while
D. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
E. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that the moment that a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or



+1 for D. Either/or correctly used. Also, D is more concise than B and E.
VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1169
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 07:33
I fail gmat many times and many year, 3 years ago I buy e gmat course but do not understand the concept of meaning in sc section , e gmat present

now I understand that concept.

forcus on meaning

reason+that clause

is not logic, generally

goodbye a,b and c
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Aug 2014
Posts: 51
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2016, 06:11
The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and used as a fuel in a way similar to that of the original fossil fuel that was used to create it.

B. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
D. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or

Choice B is incorrect since " the reason and because" appears in the same sentence. It is redundant.
VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1169
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2016, 09:42
reason for which I learn gmat is good.
reasong +that clause dose not exist in grammar. this point is purely structural
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6235
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 08:07
1
Hi ranaazad,
saw your post but it seems you have removed it...
But you were absolutely correct in your observation. Necessary changes will be done :) :)
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3647
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 08:28
reto wrote:
The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and be used as a fuel in a way similar to that of the original fossil fuel that was used to create it.

A. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and
B. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
C. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material while
D. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
E. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that the moment that a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or


Correct idiomatic usage is -

1. Either X or Y
2. Neither X nor Y

The reason that is considered redundant hence (B) and (E) are incorrect....

Options (A) and (C) use incorrect idiomatic usage of either x or Y , hence they are incorrect...

Only (D) is the correct answer.

_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1169
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 09:25
reason that
is not idomatic
reason for which

is idomatic

this is why e is wrong.
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 400
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 11:16
The split in answer choices are between the following:

1. The reason that vs Plastic products
2. and vs or

.
The reason that ..... that is redundant and rhetorical construction hence false split. With these eliminated we have only 2 more choices beginning with Plastic Products... but since the latter part uses "Either" the correct idiomatic expression must be either X or Y and since option "D" follows this , it is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 181
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 01:26
Abhishek009 wrote:
reto wrote:
The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and be used as a fuel in a way similar to that of the original fossil fuel that was used to create it.

A. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material and
B. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
C. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material while
D. Plastic products can be considered eco-friendly because once a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or
E. The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is that the moment that a product has completed its purpose, it can either be recycled as a material or


Correct idiomatic usage is -

1. Either X or Y
2. Neither X nor Y

The reason that is considered redundant hence (B) and (E) are incorrect....

Options (A) and (C) use incorrect idiomatic usage of either x or Y , hence they are incorrect...

Only (D) is the correct answer.


adding more to your point,
'nor' can be used without 'neither'
'or' can be used without 'either'

but if 'either' is there, 'or' must be there
and if 'neither' is there. 'nor' must be there
Re: The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2017, 01:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The reason that plastic products can be considered eco-friendly is tha

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.