GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 09:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 416
The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2014, 03:05
1
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:26) correct 44% (01:24) wrong based on 442 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in their appendices figures which suggest that the firm should actively cultivate foreign markets.


(A) in their appendices figures which suggest that

(B) figures in their appendices which would suggest the fact that

(C) figures in its appendix which suggest

(D) figures in its appendix which suggests thatin their appendices figures which suggest the fact that

(E) in their appendices figures which suggest the fact that


Hi,
I want to know how this sentence works (just for OA), please.
I can see "suggest that" and an idiom "contain in".
It is not clear what "figures" doing in this sentence.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4699
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 09:56
5
1
Dom
Hi

The essence of a present subjunctive mood is that there should be an element of mandatoriness or an imperative need to obey in such contexts. Therefore, words such as suggest, recommend or advise can be either subjunctive or non-subjunctive depending upon who suggests, recommends or advises. If a higher hierarchy suggests or recommends, then it is subjunctive, e.g: Supreme Court suggests that the high court look into this —here it is subjunctive because it is the SC which suggests here. However, if the High Court suggests that SC may look into this, then it is not subjunctive because HC cannot order SC. Similarly in this case, reports submitted to the Board, which is a higher authority, are not binding on the Board to adopt. They are mere suggestions and the Board may use them or ignore them. Thus, the mandatoriness is missing in the context. That is the reason in A, that the verb is not in the subjunctive mood but only in the indicative mood
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 136
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2014, 04:05
5
goodyear2013 wrote:
Hi,
I want to know how this sentence works (just for OA), please.
I can see "suggest that" and an idiom "contain in".
It is not clear what "figures" doing in this sentence.


The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in their appendices figures which suggest that the firm should actively cultivate foreign markets.

'their' is the antecedent of 'reports'. Eliminate C and D, first.
Removing the prepositional phrases (for identifying properly, the modifiers) we have,

The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain figures which suggest that the firm should actively cultivate foreign markets.

(A) in their appendices figures which suggest that
removing the prep. phrase, we see that the reports contain figures, and these figures suggest that the firm actively cultivate foreign markets.

(B) figures in their appendices which would suggest the fact that
suggest is modifying appendices (and not figures). Also usage of 'would' is wrong.
(C) figures in its appendix which suggest
(D) figures in its appendix which suggests thatin their appendices figures which suggest the fact that
(E) in their appendices figures which suggest the fact that
'figures' cannot suggest a fact. Probably, they can reveal a fact.

My only issue with the sentence is that, a subjunctive should have been used, because X is suggesting Y to do something.
_________________
Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2012
Posts: 275
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2014, 12:56
1
The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in their appendices figures that suggest the firm should actively cultivate foreign markets.

a) in their appendices figures that suggest
clear and concise - 'their' refers to reports and the clause 'that suggest the firm..' modifies figures correctly.
b) figures in their appendices that would suggest the fact that
"their" is ambiguous - could be reports or figures. changes meaning - original sentence 'figures suggest' here 'appendices suggest'
c) figures in its appendix that suggest
'It' doesn't comply with plural subject
d) figures in its appendix that suggests that
'It' doesn't comply with plural subject
e) in their appendices figures that suggest the fact that
wordy and indirect - figures that suggest the fact that
_________________
"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire


Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 20:16
kinjiGC wrote:
The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in their appendices figures that suggest the firm should actively cultivate foreign markets.

a) in their appendices figures that suggest
b) figures in their appendices that would suggest the fact that
c) figures in its appendix that suggest
d) figures in its appendix that suggests that
e) in their appendices figures that suggest the fact that

I found a similar questions but not the same one. the-research-reports-submitted-to-the-board-of-directors-165691.html



I have doubts in the questions and not too convinced with the OA and OE. Can somebody solve it giving explanations.

I am somehow not convinced with the OA. Though I am not convinced with any other answer too.Shouldnt 'that' come after suggest..
Considering the OA , how can figures suggest the firm? Experts please help.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1006
Location: United States
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2014, 12:26
1
somil0912 wrote:
I agree with jldgr here, that is why i chose 'E'. Can please someone tell me why 'E' is wrong.


Hello.

E has meaning problem. You can't suggest THE FACT that someone SHOULD DO something. "should do" itself implies plan/future, not something happened. Thus, "suggest the fact that X should do Y" makes no sense.

Hope it helps.
_________________
Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Status: Countdown Begins...
Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 287
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 22:08
Experts, please explain OE. I understand that answer choice should contain "theirs" not "its" as we are talking about reports, a plural subject.

I selected option B
Some of the posts above mention that "which" wrongly refers to appendices and it should refer to "figures". I disagree with it. Since the construction of the choice B is that " figures in their appendices (prepositional phrase) which ", presence of prepositional phrase does not alter the modification of "which". I think it still correctly modifies figures.
Please clear this, if it is wrong.

If the above judgment is true, is the presence of "would" in the sentence sufficient enough to discard this choice?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2874
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 06:10
anje29 wrote:
nks2611 wrote:
can someone explain why ,which is not followed by a comma ?


Same doubt , experts please help .


The modifier is an essential modifier defining "figures". Hence there is no comma. However as per convention "that" instead of "which" should have been used for essential modifier.

Even better would be a present participle "suggesting" without a comma (in order to avoid the awkwardness arising from the usage "that suggest that").
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2874
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 06:19
RMD007 wrote:
Experts, please explain OE. I understand that answer choice should contain "theirs" not "its" as we are talking about reports, a plural subject.

I selected option B
Some of the posts above mention that "which" wrongly refers to appendices and it should refer to "figures". I disagree with it. Since the construction of the choice B is that " figures in their appendices (prepositional phrase) which ", presence of prepositional phrase does not alter the modification of "which". I think it still correctly modifies figures.
Please clear this, if it is wrong.

If the above judgment is true, is the presence of "would" in the sentence sufficient enough to discard this choice?


There is no justification for the use of hypothetical "would suggest". Moreover "that fact" is unnecessarily wordy and can be omitted. Hence B is wrong.
Retired Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 591
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 06:53
VyshakhR1995 wrote:
The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in their appendices figures that suggest that the firm should actively cultivate foreign markets.

in their appendices figures that suggest that
figures in their appendices that would suggest the fact that
figures in its appendix that suggest
figures in its appendix that suggests that
in their appendices figures that suggest the fact that



Edited the question...

Only option A correctly mentions as per meaning wise that figures suggest is correct but not appendices suggest..

Thank God options C and D only dealt with APPENDIX not with any intestines...:)

Option E has redundancy... Suggest that is correct idiom..

so all other options are incorrect..
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2397
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 09:15
Top Contributor
Easiest issue here is probably the pronouns: "research reports" is plural, so we would definitely need "their appendices", not "its appendix." That eliminates (C) and (D).

Beyond that, I think Kaplan is just trying to get you to choose the most efficient answer choices. Let's compare (A) and (E): the only difference is that (E) adds a couple of unnecessary words ("the fact") -- so we can eliminate (E).

That leaves us with just (A) and (B). I don't think that the difference between "in their appendices figures" and "figures in their appendices" matters much, but (B) again adds some extra crap we don't need: "the fact" is a waste of words, and there's really no reason to use the conditional "would suggest" instead of "suggest." So that leaves us with (A).
_________________
GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 287
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 09:21
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________
Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 4094
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 15:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2019, 15:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The research reports submitted to the board of directors contain in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.