It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The rise in free,do-it-yourself instructions on the internet

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Mannheim '15
GPA: 3
WE: Human Resources (Consulting)
The rise in free,do-it-yourself instructions on the internet [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2013, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:03) correct 57% (01:46) wrong based on 576 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The rise in free, do-it-yourself instructions on the Internet for home repairs has led to a decrease in revenue for home service technicians and an increase in the number of injuries caused by people who have attempted home repairs themselves. Unfortunately, not all of the do-it-yourself instructions on the Internet are written as well as they should be.

Which of the following can be inferred from the argument above?

A. The number of people who are not home repair technicians and who have been injured while attempting home repairs has increased.
B. Most people who are injured while attempting home repairs have done so while following instructions found in free do-it-yourself instructions on the Internet.
C. The overall sale of online do-it-yourself home repair instructions by home service technicians has not been equal to the loss of revenue the technicians have incurred due to free offerings of this sort of material.
D. Most free do-it-yourself home repair instructions found on the Internet do not provide enough clear information regarding safety precautions.
E. As more free do-it-yourself instructions for home repairs are made available on the Internet, home service technicians will suffer more losses in revenue.

How on earth is that the QA ??
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Princeton Review Representative
Re: The rise in free,do-it-yourself instructions on the internet [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2013, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is an inference question therefore you read for the facts of the passage and then look for things that are not necessarily true to eliminate answers.
Dhairya275 wrote:
The rise in free, do-it-yourself instructions on the Internet for home repairs has led to a decrease in revenue for home service technicians and an increase in the number of injuries caused by people who have attempted home repairs themselves. Unfortunately, not all of the do-it-yourself instructions on the Internet are written as well as they should be.

A. The number of people who are not home repair technicians and who have been injured while attempting home repairs has increased.This is a very tricky answer but if you read the paragraph carefully, you notice it says the number of injuries has increase, not the number of people - it could well be that the number of people performing the repairs is the same but the people have more injuries thus A cannot be the answer
B. Most people who are injured while attempting home repairs have done so while following instructions found in free do-it-yourself instructions on the Internet.While the argument cites the online instructions as a reason for the decrease in revenue and increase in injuries it does not specifically state that people are following them - Just the fact that they exist could give people more confidence to try on their own
C. The overall sale of online do-it-yourself home repair instructions by home service technicians has not been equal to the loss of revenue the technicians have incurred due to free offerings of this sort of material.This addresses the statement that the online instructions are the cause for the decrease in revenue - therefore, the instructions could not have provided enough revenue to the techs to offset the loss in jobs. While strange this is a common type of inference pattern
D. Most free do-it-yourself home repair instructions found on the Internet do not provide enough clear information regarding safety precautions.the paragraph does not provide enough information to determine how much safety information they contain, the statement only says that they are not as well written as they could be
E. As more free do-it-yourself instructions for home repairs are made available on the Internet, home service technicians will suffer more losses in revenue.The statement does not give any info on future trends so we cannot assume anything about the future

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2013, 08:05
I did not understand anything at all

C. The overall sale (They are free right? How are they "selling" it) of online do-it-yourself home repair instructions by home service technicians has not been equal to the loss of revenue the technicians have incurred due to free offerings of this sort of material.

@BeckyRobinsonTPR How can we infer that do-it-yourself video are by the same technicians?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-16-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2013, 11:16
Dhairya275 wrote:

A. The number of people who are not home repair technicians and who have been injured while attempting home repairs has increased.
B. Most people who are injured while attempting home repairs have done so while following instructions found in free do-it-yourself instructions on the Internet.
C. The overall sale of online do-it-yourself home repair instructions by home service technicians has not been equal to the loss of revenue the technicians have incurred due to free offerings of this sort of material.
D. Most free do-it-yourself home repair instructions found on the Internet do not provide enough clear information regarding safety precautions.
E. As more free do-it-yourself instructions for home repairs are made available on the Internet, home service technicians will suffer more losses in revenue.

Discussed here ---> the-rise-in-free-do-it-yourself-instructions-on-the-146018.html

Regards,
Suyash

I want to live in a world where emails are short, love letters are brave, and every "Thank you" note is scribbled by hand.
GO GREEN

Princeton Review Representative

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2013, 11:51
suyash23n wrote:
Dhairya275 wrote:

Discussed here ---> the-rise-in-free-do-it-yourself-instructions-on-the-146018.html

The paragraph says that the guides have created a decline in revenue for the techs so it must be true that they have a decline in revenue - if C were correct (they made up the money somewhere) then they would not have had a decline in revenue. the answer doesn't even have to mention selling pamphlets - it could have said the techs did not create a new source of revenue and it would have to be true.

This is a difficulty of an inference question - it seems out of scope but by saying the thing did not happen it is actually in line with the facts of the argument.

for instance if I claimed that I came into the house and was dry. I could infer that I was not it by a rogue wave as I walked up to my door. while a rogue wave may seem out of scope I absolutely know that I was not hit by a wave because if I was I would not be dry.

Hope that helps.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Intern
Intern
The rise in free,do-it-yourself instructions on the internet [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 11:08
This is so absurd! While each of the other answer options have been evaluated word by word, option C has not been. The questions provides no proof of the fact mentioned in option C and I can't understand how one can say for sure that it can be inferred. It makes sense for a strengthen question but not an inference question
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 10:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The rise in free,do-it-yourself instructions on the internet   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 10:30

The rise in free,do-it-yourself instructions on the internet

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap