Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [3]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 266
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
Send PM
Re: The roads connecting two distant cities in the country of Kahuya allow [#permalink]
Kudos
If there are no monsoons which render the roads unusable, and if one makes only one half-hour stop every 4 hours, the journey can be made in 5 days.

First is condition and second is only true if it follows that condition.

A. The first is a premise; the second is a generality. --> first is not premise

B. The first is an inference; the second is a conclusion. --> first is not inference

C. The first is a conclusion; the second is a piece of evidence. --> first is not conclusion

D. The first is a condition; the second is a premise limited by the first. --> correct

E. The first is an opinion, the second is the conclusion which leads to that opinion. --> first is not an opinion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: The roads connecting two distant cities in the country of Kahuya allow [#permalink]
Kudos
Let's deconstruct the argument:

The roads connecting two distant cities in the country of Kahuya allow travelers to drive at a speed of 20 miles per hour. - A fact (can be a premise)

If there are no monsoons which render the roads unusable, and if one makes only one half-hour stop every 4 hours, the journey can be made in 5 days. - If X happens, then Y happens. (i.e. a conditional situation).
Clearly, the consequence (Y) of the condition (X) is a prediction and hence is a conclusion.

Thus, 2nd (the consequence) should be a conclusion.

Let's see the choices now.
A. The first is a premise; the second is a generality.
2nd is a outcome of one or many conditions and is not a generality.
B. The first is an inference; the second is a conclusion.
2nd is a conclusion. But, what is inference here in 1st?
1st is clearly mentioned "If there are no monsoons which render the roads unusable" and is not a deduction from the preceding statement.

C. The first is a conclusion; the second is a piece of evidence.
2nd is not an evidence.
D. The first is a condition; the second is a premise limited by the first.
1st is a condition, but 2nd is not a premise.
E. The first is an opinion, the second is the conclusion which leads to that opinion.
1st is a condition and 2nd is a conclusion , but 2nd does not lead to 1st ( in fact, it's opposite . In If X, then Y, X leads to Y)

I am unable to select anyone here.

Since I have to select one (when none seems perfect), I will reject choice A, B and E for the reasons mentioned. (These reasons are too strong).
Between C and D :
The all I know that 1st is a condition and 2nd is limited by it - Thus, D looks better.

IMO D

I am awaiting someone to share a better approach.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Lets go sentence by sentence -

1) FACT - Road b/w 2 different cities allows the speed 20mi/h
2) CONDITION - If statement
3) RESULT - if the condition is fulfilled

ANSWER CHOICE ANALYSIS -

A) First is a premise - INCORRECT , Second is a generality - INCORRECT
B) First is an inference - INCORRECT, second is a conclusion - CORRECT
C) First is a conclusion - INCORRECT, second is a piece of evidence - INCORRECT
D) First is a condition - CORRECT, Second is a premise limited by first - CORRECT
E) First is an opinion - INCORRECT, Second is the conclusion - CORRECT, leads to that opinion - INCORRECT
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [1]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Kudos
The roads connecting two distant cities in the country of Kahuya allow travelers to drive at a speed of 20 miles per hour. If there are no monsoons which render the roads unusable, and if one makes only one half-hour stop every 4 hours, the journey can be made in 5 days.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is a premise; the second is a generality. Incorrect

First is not a premises

B. The first is an inference; the second is a conclusion. Incorrect

first is not an inference

C. The first is a conclusion; the second is a piece of evidence. Incorrect

first is not a conclusion

D. The first is a condition; the second is a premise limited by the first. Correct

first is a condition, second is limited by first

E. The first is an opinion, the second is the conclusion which leads to that opinion. Incorrect

first is not an opinion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
BF1: If there are no monsoons which render the roads unusable,
BF2: the journey can be made in 5 days.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is a premise; the second is a generality. -> 1st is not a premise. Incorrect.

B. The first is an inference; the second is a conclusion. -> 1st is not a inference. Incorrect.

C. The first is a conclusion; the second is a piece of evidence. -> 1st is not a conclusion. Incorrect.

D. The first is a condition; the second is a premise limited by the first. -> Yes. It makes sense. Let's keep it.

E. The first is an opinion, the second is the conclusion which leads to that opinion. -> 2nd is not conclusion. Incorrect.

So, I think D. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 550 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
B1 : If there are no monsoons which render the roads unusable. (Clearly a condition)
B2: The journey can be made in 5 days.

A. The first is a premise; the second is a generality. -Incorrect

B. The first is an inference; the second is a conclusion. -Incorrect

C. The first is a conclusion; the second is a piece of evidence. -Incorrect

D. The first is a condition; the second is a premise limited by the first. - Correct

E. The first is an opinion, the second is the conclusion which leads to that opinion. -Incorrect

IMO D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
The roads connecting two distant cities in the country of Kahuya allow travelers to drive at a speed of 20 miles per hour. If there are no monsoons which render the roads unusable, and if one makes only one half-hour stop every 4 hours, the journey can be made in 5 days.

Analyzing argument - BoldFace 1 is a Premise which serves as a condition (and observation).
BoldFace 2 is an conclusion which is limited by BoldFace 1 and a non-BoldFace part.

A. The first is a premise; the second is a generality. -- BoldFace 2 is not a generality Drop Option A.

B. The first is an inference; the second is a conclusion. -- BoldFace 1 is not an inference but a premise. Drop Option B.

C. The first is a conclusion; the second is a piece of evidence. -- BoldFace 1 is not a conclusion but a premise. Drop Option C.

D. The first is a condition; the second is a premise limited by the first. -- BoldFace 2 is not a premise, but it certainly is limited by first BoldFace. Keep Option D.

E. The first is an opinion, the second is the conclusion which leads to that opinion. -- The second does not lead to the first. Drop Option E.

Answer should be Option D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [0]
Send PM
Hi AndrewN, VeritasKarishma

May I request you to help me understand it.
How is the 2nd BF a premise and not a conclusion?
The sentence has a structure : If X happens, then Y happens. (i.e. a conditional situation).
Clearly, the consequence (Y) of the condition (X) is a prediction .
A final claim,opinion or prediction would be conclusion of the argument.

IMO:
1. IF X happens, then Y happens/should be done -- Y is the conclusion.
Example -
If the government wishes to reduce the incidence of road accidents, it should ban the sale of SUVs in the city.
Conclusion is - the government should ban the sale of SUVs in the city.

2. To do X, Y is done/likely to be done -- X is the conclusion.
Example-
To reduce the incidence of road accidents, the government planned to ban the sale of SUVs in the city.
Which of the following, if true, will help the government achieve its plan?
i.e.
= If the sale of SUVs is banned, then the incidence of road accidents will be reduced.
Conclusion is - The plan will be successful i.e. the incidence of road accidents will be reduced.

Is my above understanding correct?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Sumi1010 wrote:

The sentence has a structure : If X happens, then Y happens. (i.e. a conditional situation).

IMO:
Example -
If the government wishes to reduce the incidence of road accidents, it should ban the sale of SUVs in the city.

Example-
To reduce the incidence of road accidents, the government planned to ban the sale of SUVs in the city.
i.e.
= If the sale of SUVs is banned, then the incidence of road accidents will be reduced.
Conclusion is - The plan will be successful i.e. the incidence of road accidents will be reduced.

Hello, Sumi1010. I agree with the approach you outlined in your original post. I was also not entirely comfortable with the latter part of (D), but I knew everything else was off, so I chose (D). Regarding the above post, I think you understand the conditional relationship of an if/then framework. The second one, though, is not necessarily true. Consider the sentence, To win [the game], I have to cheat. It is a stretch to call to win a conclusion, and if I rewrite the sentence as a conditional—If I cheat, I can win—the sentences are slightly different in what they convey. Getting back to the earlier sentence, I might call to win an anticipated result or consequence of a series of events playing out, but I think of a conclusion as something a little different, more along the lines of X therefore/thus Y. In any case, I would be more concerned about the issue if I found myself stymied by the verbiage used in an official question.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [0]
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:

Hello, Sumi1010. I agree with the approach you outlined in your original post. I was also not entirely comfortable with the latter part of (D), but I knew everything else was off, so I chose (D). Regarding the above post, I think you understand the conditional relationship of an if/then framework. The second one, though, is not necessarily true. Consider the sentence, To win [the game], I have to cheat. It is a stretch to call to win a conclusion, and if I rewrite the sentence as a conditional—If I cheat, I can win—the sentences are slightly different in what they convey. Getting back to the earlier sentence, I might call to win an anticipated result or consequence of a series of events playing out, but I think of a conclusion as something a little different, more along the lines of X therefore/thus Y. In any case, I would be more concerned about the issue if I found myself stymied by the verbiage used in an official question.

- Andrew

Thanks AndrewN
I am yet to get an official question of type"To do X, Y is done/likely to be done" in which "To do X" alone is marked Bold.
Thus, I would like to keep this point off from my CR note.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sumi1010 wrote:

IMO:
Example -

Example-
i.e.

A conclusion is the author's opinion. Premises are facts/data.

If nothing goes wrong, the probe will reach Mars in 2 yrs.
Nothing goes wrong - Condition
Probe will reach Mars in 2 yrs - A fact limited by the condition

"the journey can be made in 5 days" is as per calculations. If speed limit is 20 mph and given the distance, the 5 days would have been calculated. We cannot strengthen/weaken it. It is what it is.

If the author would have further said, "It is better to take a flight instead," then that would have been a conclusion.
That would have been the author's opinion/judgement. We can strengthen/weaken it.

Don't go by the structure of the sentence. Focus on what is given in each segment.
"The govt should ban the sale of SUVs" is the author's opinion/suggestion.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts