It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The theater company publicly recognized the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 20

The theater company publicly recognized the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2014, 07:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

85% (00:42) correct 15% (00:47) wrong based on 37 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The theater company publicly recognized the effort devoted by the designers to create such unique set.

(A) devoted by the designers to create
(B) devoted by the designers so that they could create
(C) the designers devote when creating
(D) that the designers devote so that they could create
(E) the designers devoted to create

OA to follow

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8753 [2], given: 105

Re: The theater company publicly recognized the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2014, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatgambler wrote:
The theater company publicly recognized the effort devoted by the designers to create such unique set.

(A) devoted by the designers to create
(B) devoted by the designers so that they could create
(C) the designers devote when creating
(D) that the designers devote so that they could create
(E) the designers devoted to create

Dear gmatgambler
I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is a strange and intriguing SC question. What is the source?

Choices (A) & (B) are grammatically correct, but the passive construction makes them very indirect and awkward. There is no way either of these would be correct on the GMAT.

For the other three choices, we have a clause modifying the word "effort." On the GMAT, we can never drop the word "that" beginning such a modifying clause. Choices (C) & (E) would work in colloquial conversation, but they are too informal ever to be correct on the GMAT.

This leaves (D), which has the proper "that", but unfortunately, it has a strange present tense verb, "devote," and it also a bit longer and wordier than one would typically see on the GMAT SC.

Strictly applying the standards of the GMAT SC, none of the five answers is perfectly acceptable. This strikes me as a faulty question. Beware: the web is littered with very low quality GMAT SC practice questions, most of them free. Don't assume a practice question is of strict GMAT quality just because someone out there has the temerity to call it a GMAT practice question. I would say the best version of this sentence would be something along these lines:
The theater company publicly recognized the effort that the designers devoted in creating such unique set.

Here's a much high quality GMAT SC practice question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3221

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8753 [2], given: 105

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2014, 07:17
Thanks Mike . Your explanation makes sense .I picked this question from internet and I was somehow not convinced . I think , I should stop hunting for questions on internet and look for reliable sources .

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8753 [1], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2014, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatgambler wrote:
Thanks Mike . Your explanation makes sense .I picked this question from internet and I was somehow not convinced . I think , I should stop hunting for questions on internet and look for reliable sources .

Dear gmatgambler,
Here's a blog that contains several links to individual blogs with high quality GMAT SC practice questions. We always have some questions on our free public blog, but of course, there are many more inside our product.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sente ... questions/
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8753 [1], given: 105

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 08:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Re: The theater company publicly recognized the   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2017, 08:27

The theater company publicly recognized the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap