It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North America

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.

Kudos [?]: 212 [2], given: 133

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North America [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:49) correct 55% (01:49) wrong based on 531 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North American continent into “hardiness zones.” These zones are based on the average winter temperature and are used to determine what types of plants will likely survive in a given area. Zone 1 represents the coldest average winter temperature and zone 13 the warmest. The zones are closely correlated with, but do not exactly match another set of eleven zones that indicate the length of the growing season. Minneapolis is in hardiness zone 4 and Denver is in hardiness zone 6.

Which of the following statements is most supported by the information above?

A. During the coming winter, the lowest recorded temperature in Minneapolis will be lower than the lowest recorded temperature in Denver.
B. The growing season in Denver is much longer than the growing season in Minneapolis.
C. A greater variety of plants can be grown in Denver, due to the warmer average winter low.
D. Factors other than average winter temperature affect the length of the growing season.
E. At least one U.S. city has a colder average winter temperature than does Minneapolis.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 212 [2], given: 133

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North America [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 10:29
@ original poster : i am really doubting this question !!
i do not find any reason to reject option E : At least one U.S. city has a colder average winter temperature than does Minneapolis.
can u please check the choices again

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [3], given: 15

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.62

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 11:35
This post received
KUDOS
aditya8062 wrote:
i do not find any reason to reject option E : At least one U.S. city has a colder average winter temperature than does Minneapolis.

There is nothing that implies that the "zones" are cities. They are just areas.

Kudos [?]: 10 [3], given: 15

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 11:56
Quote:

so Denver and Minneapolis are areas !! not cities ?? after all some area will definitely comprise some city

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 504

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 19:18
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

so Denver and Minneapolis are areas !! not cities ?? after all some area will definitely comprise some city

Just as 1 city can comprise multiple hardiness zones (particularly if the city is big enough).

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 504

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 22:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A) Passage talks about average temperatures, not lowest, so can't be A.

B) Could be true, but it says close correlation not exact. We'll leave it as a possible choice for now since it's vague.

C) Nothing in the passage suggests this.

D) The fact that length growing season and average winter temperature both have SEPARATE zones which are not exactly the same indicates that these 2 are not determined by the same factors. Strongest contender.

E) Minneapolis is 4, but passage does not suggest any other CITY is less than 4. Could be town, village, inland water body. First sentence says it's a division of the continent, not a division of urban agglomerations.

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 0

Retired Moderator
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 133

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2014, 03:10
aditya8062 wrote:

I am in the same boat as you are in. I chose E too and was in for a shock. The source is Veritas Question Bank.

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2014, 03:14
justbequiet wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

Just as 1 city can comprise multiple hardiness zones (particularly if the city is big enough).

True. But nowhere in the stem is it mentioned that Denver and Minneapolis are cities. They could be individual zones themselves. Big cities can also be zones themselves.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2014, 11:51
Quote:
I am in the same boat as you are in. I chose E too and was in for a shock. The source is Veritas Question Bank.

i will not be worried about this question as long as it is not official !! i do not think GMAC will ever get into the nitpicking of "area", "city" or "town"
also if someone is putting a logic that "cities" can be large enough to comprise more that one zone then the same argument can be put on the other side of story !! i mean why should we favor one side of the argument?

also if cities such as "Minneapolis" and "Denver" can have just one "zone" then we can definitely have other cities with just one "zone" ,after all there are cities smaller than Minneapolis !! (honestly i don't even want to get into this side of argument)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Schools: ISB '16

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2014, 10:02
Hardiness zones are divided based on two parameters - average winter temperature (13 zones) and length of growing season (11 zones).

The last sentence says "Minneapolis is in hardiness zone 4 and Denver is in hardiness zone 6". Do we know based on which parameter this statement is made? Average winter temperature or length of growing season? We don't know.

D: Zones based on two parameters closely correlate, but don't exactly match. So definitely there is some other factor which causes the mismatch.

E: We don't know about the parameter used to conclude the last sentence in the premise. So we can't definitely conclude this answer option.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17844 [7], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 03:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AmoyV wrote:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North American continent into “hardiness zones.” These zones are based on the average winter temperature and are used to determine what types of plants will likely survive in a given area. Zone 1 represents the coldest average winter temperature and zone 13 the warmest. The zones are closely correlated with, but do not exactly match another set of eleven zones that indicate the length of the growing season. Minneapolis is in hardiness zone 4 and Denver is in hardiness zone 6.

A. During the coming winter, the lowest recorded temperature in Minneapolis will be lower than the lowest recorded temperature in Denver.
B. The growing season in Denver is much longer than the growing season in Minneapolis.
C. A greater variety of plants can be grown in Denver, due to the warmer average winter low.
D. Factors other than average winter temperature affect the length of the growing season.
E. At least one U.S. city has a colder average winter temperature than does Minneapolis.

Responding to a pm:
There is absolutely no ambiguity in this question.

Premises:
- Hardiness zones are based on the average winter temperature and are used to determine what types of plants will likely survive in a given area.
- Zone 1 represents the coldest average winter temperature and zone 13 the warmest.
- The zones are correlated with, but do not exactly match another set of eleven zones that indicate the length of the growing season - probably colder means shorter growing season from common knowledge
- Minneapolis is in hardiness zone 4 and Denver is in hardiness zone 6.

We only know about average temperatures, not lowest.

Hardiness zones do not match the eleven "length of growing season" zone.

No information about whether more variety survives in warm climate or cold - we will not use our general knowledge.

It is given that zones are correlated but DO NOT match exactly. It means other factors also come into play. Correct answer.

If you feel that "city" vs "area/town/piece of land" is nitpicking, then that's not correct. Perhaps a small wild piece of land right next to Canada lies in the hardiness zones 1, 2 and 3. Perhaps only some forest/mountain region lies in the first 3 zones. Perhaps no city lies in these zones since a city invariably ends up being warmer than the wild due to industrial activity. We don't know.
- But more importantly, North American continent includes not just US but also Canada and Mexico. Hence, even if you ignore the difference between city/town etc, nothing says that a US city must lie in first three zones. US and North America are not interchangeable!

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17844 [7], given: 235

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 17844 [1], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 03:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

i will not be worried about this question as long as it is not official !! i do not think GMAC will ever get into the nitpicking of "area", "city" or "town"
also if someone is putting a logic that "cities" can be large enough to comprise more that one zone then the same argument can be put on the other side of story !! i mean why should we favor one side of the argument?

also if cities such as "Minneapolis" and "Denver" can have just one "zone" then we can definitely have other cities with just one "zone" ,after all there are cities smaller than Minneapolis !! (honestly i don't even want to get into this side of argument)

Every word matters! Small differences in meaning can change the whole question!

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17844 [1], given: 235

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 13:25
Thank god I got a convincing answer! Thanks Karishma!

None of the city, town or other things made any sense to me. But when u explained, I really felt like smacking my forehead for missing something so obvious. I guess I must be half asleep to not catch something so obvious :P

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 04:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 10:16
The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North American continent into “hardiness zones.”
These zones are based on the average winter temperature and are used to determine what types of plants will likely survive in a given area.
Zone 1 represents the coldest average winter temperature and zone 13 the warmest.
The zones are closely correlated with, but do not exactly match another set of eleven zones that indicate the length of the growing season.
Minneapolis is in hardiness zone 4 and Denver is in hardiness zone 6.

A. During the coming winter, the lowest recorded temperature in Minneapolis will be lower than the lowest recorded temperature in Denver.............we can infer that avg winter temp is lower but not lowest. new info.

B. The growing season in Denver is much longer than the growing season in Minneapolis...............this is new info as we don't any info in argument regarding growing season.

C. A greater variety of plants can be grown in Denver, due to the warmer average winter low..............we can decide type of plant in area based on zone avg winter temp not greater or fewer variety of plants.

D. Factors other than average winter temperature affect the length of the growing season..............can be true keep it at bay.

E. At least one U.S. city has a colder average winter temperature than does Minneapolis.............this cannot be inferred as atleast one city has a colder avg temp than does Minneapolis as the zones are divided among whole North American continent.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I got confused between C and D and sellected c since I felt D is too generalized. :wink:

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 192

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 00:04
Quote:
It is given that zones are correlated but DO NOT match exactly. It means other factors also come into play. Correct answer.

Woul you please explain a little bit about it? How other factors come to play?

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 192

Expert Post
G

Kudos [?]: 17844 [0], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:43
Mahmud6 wrote:
Quote:

Woul you please explain a little bit about it? How other factors come to play?

The argument gives you
"The zones are closely correlated with, but do not exactly match another set of eleven zones that indicate the length of the growing season. "

If the only factor that affected the length of the growing season was average winter temp, then the zones of length of growing season would have exactly matched the zones of temperatures. But the question tells us that they do not exactly match. So other factors such as "topography" could be playing a role in deciding the length of the growing season.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17844 [0], given: 235

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 08:24
I don't really understand option B !! I ended up picking B over D !! Could you help me with the same ? The Growing season should be longer in Denver as it is in a warmer zone. Why is B wrong ?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Re: The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North America   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2017, 08:24

The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North America

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap