Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4559 [16]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Status:when you say,"I can or I can't", Both times you are right!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: There are 70 to 100 Florida panthers alive today. This represents a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
rockz wrote:
Can someone explain why B is incorrect?

Posted from my mobile device

"The population must reach at least 250" is one condition which should be true in order to make the population self-sufficient.

In an option B

there is an assertion: if this condition is true, the population will be self-sufficient......Hence, B is incorrect because there could be other factors may affect to make the population self-sufficient.

Thanks = Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Re: There are 70 to 100 Florida panthers alive today. This represents a [#permalink]
Akela wrote:
There are 70 to 100 Florida panthers alive today. This represents a very large increase over their numbers in the 1970s, but their population must reach at least 250 if it is to be self-sustaining. Their current habitat is not large enough to support any more of these animals, however.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) Some part of the panthers’ current habitat is only of marginal quality.
(B) If the population of Florida panthers ever exceeds 250, it will be self-sustaining.
(C) Unless Florida panthers acquire a larger habitat, their population will not be self-sustaining.
(D) The population of Florida panthers will never increase much beyond its current level.
(E) Today, Florida panthers occupy a larger habitat than they did in the 1970s.

Firstly, It is only between B and C.
I picked B over C so I want someone to give a better reasoning for C.

Or B can only be eliminated on the basis that it is already mentioned in the passage?

Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [4]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
There are 70 to 100 Florida panthers alive today. This represents a [#permalink]
Kudos
Akela wrote:
There are 70 to 100 Florida panthers alive today. This represents a very large increase over their numbers in the 1970s, but their population must reach at least 250 if it is to be self-sustaining. Their current habitat is not large enough to support any more of these animals, however.

(A) Some part of the panthers’ current habitat is only of marginal quality.
(B) If the population of Florida panthers ever exceeds 250, it will be self-sustaining.
(C) Unless Florida panthers acquire a larger habitat, their population will not be self-sustaining.
(D) The population of Florida panthers will never increase much beyond its current level.
(E) Today, Florida panthers occupy a larger habitat than they did in the 1970s.

Hi everyone,

So between B and C.

We know that ONE OF THE CONDITIONS for the panthers' population to be self sustaining is the number, 250. We also know that the current habitat does not support more than 100 panthers.

In order to eliminate B let's consider the following scenario: Enough panthers are introduced in the current habitat so that the minimum 250 is met. The problem now is that the current habitat won't support the extra ones and probably all the tigers but 100 of them will die.

Hence Option B is not a must be true statement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
with LSAT questions you need to careful with the wordings. The answer choices can be wrong with just one similar word.

Option B says- If the population of Florida panthers ever exceeds 250, it will be self-sustaining.

and the statement says their population must reach at least 250

population reaching at least 250 and population exceeding 250, say 251,255 or 260. We do not know. This is must be true question and the word 'exceeds' changes the meaning by a bit.

I know it's tricky, but after all lsat CRs needs to dealt with utmost concentration of wordings.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [2]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Kudos
rockz wrote:

Posted from my mobile device

Dear rockz
As alluded Rupesh1Nonly
"The population must reach at least 250" is one condition

Maybe my few cents will helps other to clearly assimilate "conditional reasoning" [marker : If .. THEN].
Stimulus states:
....population must reach at least 250 if it is to be self-sustaining.

It it is to be self-sustaining - "Sufficient condition"
population must reach at least 250 - "Necessary condition"

There ONLY two plausibly scenarios:
Direct statement: [A -- > B]

If it is to be self-sustaining --- > population must reach at least 250

Contrapositive [Not B --- > Not A]

population Will NOT reach at least 250 ---> it WILL NOT be self-sustaining

Answer B affirms:

Such RE-interpretation called "mistake reversal"
Take into consideration that there may be more then ONE "Necessary condition"

Thus, If the population of Florida panthers ever exceeds 250 this activity does not necessarily lead to self-sustaining. That is mere one of many "Necessary conditions"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Kudos
FlyingCycle wrote:
with LSAT questions you need to careful with the wordings. The answer choices can be wrong with just one similar word.

Option B says- If the population of Florida panthers ever exceeds 250, it will be self-sustaining.

and the statement says their population must reach at least 250

population reaching at least 250 and population exceeding 250, say 251,255 or 260. We do not know. This is must be true question and the word 'exceeds' changes the meaning by a bit.

I know it's tricky, but after all lsat CRs needs to dealt with utmost concentration of wordings.

In addition to that, I believe the option B says 'ever exceeds' - which is intending that even if the population exceeds once and then drops back - it will still be self-sustaining
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM

I discarded option C because of the word "acquire". Florida Panthers is a species and they cant acquire land. is my reasoning wrong ? can anyone explain it ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
NinjaNightCapt wrote:

I discarded option C because of the word "acquire". Florida Panthers is a species and they cant acquire land. is my reasoning wrong ? can anyone explain it ?

NinjaNightCapt
You are looking into the passage too hard so much so that you are focusing on irrelevant things. What you are doing is a common mistake that test takers do in their initial stage of prep. I can't deny it that i don't make this type of mistake now because i still do sometimes(took almost two and a half minutes to solve).

Acquire doesn't literally mean that panthers are going to acquire land.

There are 70 to 100 Florida panthers alive today. - A fact.
This represents a very large increase over their numbers in the 1970s, - A fact again.
but their population must reach at least 250 if it is to be self-sustaining. - Conclusion. Even though there is a large increase, the population is not sustainable.
Their current habitat is not large enough to support any more of these animals, however. - Reason for reaching out that conclusion.

(A) Some part of the panthers’ current habitat is only of marginal quality. - Irrelavant.

(B) If the population of Florida panthers ever exceeds 250, it will be self-sustaining. - A better explanation already exists in above explanation(A ----> B and reversal mistake is Not B ----> Not A). You need to master that principle to solve the questions with that ease, it saves a lot of time. For this option I thought why this option is reiterating what is already mentioned in the passage. Also, more importantly, why 'ever' is present in the option. So, finally what I interpreted 'ever' as is that does it mean that reaching 251 first time the population becomes self sustaining? No..!! As far as population is concerned it is not a one way game. Some animals would die and some would be born to make a net effect called population. The way this option presents information it is like whenever it crosses 250 population becomes self sustaining, which is not the case.

(C) Unless Florida panthers acquire a larger habitat, their population will not be self-sustaining. - This is the only one left. Additionally, it directly addresses the conclusion.

(D) The population of Florida panthers will never increase much beyond its current level. - Future can be anything but 'never' ruins the option.

(E) Today, Florida panthers occupy a larger habitat than they did in the 1970s. - This is a nice trap. Yes, it may be true but is it necessary that that must have been the case. For example(against case) - in 1970s the land for habitat was 10 acres with a population of 10. Now the habitat is still 10 acres but population is between 70 to 100 which is kind of peak that these animals can reach(e.g. density-wise) in that habitat. Thus, the option falls apart.

HTH.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
There are 70 to 100 Florida panthers alive today. This represents a [#permalink]
STIMULUS
Argument; not fact set

Premise 1: There are 70 to 100 Florida panthers alive today.

Premise 2: This represents a very large increase over their numbers in the 1970s

Counter-premise 1: Their current habitat is not large enough to support any more of these animals, however.

Conclusion 1: but their population must reach at least 250 if it is to be self-sustaining.

QUESTION STEM
Must Be True

So, flow of information must be only from Stimulus to Question stem, i.e., assume everything said by the author to be true but do not assume anything additional that does not fall under the umbrella of ideas mentioned in the stimulus.

ANSWER CHOICES
(A): "Quality" has not been mentioned anywhere in the stimulus. This is therefore, out of scope.

(B): Stimulus mentioned "...at least 250" for the panther population to become self-sustaining. This option on the other hand, states a certainty that if it "...ever exceeds 250, it will be self-sustaining". Author used the word "at least" to indicate that the number could be more based on other, unstated factors. However, the answer choice uses the word "will" - if this number "ever exceeds" 250. Never ignore the word play!

(C): Correct option - First, this is an answer choice that does not being in new information. Second, this answer choice could easily be created by combining ideas given in the Premise 1, Conclusion 1 and Counter-premise 1. Their current population is between 70 and 100 - for population to be self-sustaining it has to be "at least" 250 (could be more based on unstated factors) - current habitat is not large enough to support "any more" of these animals.

(D): "...will never increase" is a strong word play which had not been used in the stimulus for the presented idea. Stimulus only concludes that for the panther population to be self-sustaining, it must at least be 250, and the current habitat cannot allow any more of these animals.

(E): Could be true or could not be true. Answer choice however "Must Be True".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
rockz wrote:

Stimulus mentioned "...at least 250" for the panther population to become self-sustaining. This option on the other hand, states a certainty that if it "...ever exceeds 250, it will be self-sustaining". Author used the word "at least" to indicate that the number could be more based on other, unstated factors. However, the answer choice uses the word "will" - if this number "ever exceeds" 250. Never ignore the word play!

Please refer to my answer if you would like to read my reasoning on the other options as well. :)
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
It is an easy choice to eliminate options A, D, & E. Between B & C, I resolved in this way:

As C states "Unless Florida panthers acquire a larger habitat, their population will not be self-sustaining", it already includes option B.

How?

1. Current habitat is not large enough to support any more of these animals
2. Their population must reach at least 250 if it is to be self-sustaining

It means these two are a must (there may be few other points to make the habitat self-sustain) which are included in option C.

Also B is kind of "extreme" by adding will. If it had may or can, it will be a tough decision.

Hence, C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts