GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 21:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are four computer engineers and some business analysts at a firm

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
There are four computer engineers and some business analysts at a firm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 21:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:27) correct 68% (01:36) wrong based on 19 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are four computer engineers and some business analysts at a firm. You have to organize them in a team of five workers. You look at each possible team of five and realize that each has at least one computer engineer and at least one business analyst. What is the highest possible number of business analysts at the firm?

a. 20
b. 4
c. 16
d. 11
e. 5
Read Only User
Read Only User
S
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Re: There are four computer engineers and some business analysts at a firm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 23:22
This question can be solved using logic,

If we have to choose 5 people, and at any given time there has to be atleast 1 business analyst and 1 computer engineer, this implies that I have to have atleast 4 of each.

Suppose I have 5 business analysts and 1 computer engineer, there is still a chance that if i choose 5 random people, they could all be business analysts - therefore, 4 is the correct answer!

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.94
CAT Tests
Re: There are four computer engineers and some business analysts at a firm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 23:33
This question tricks you in selecting 16 when you think how many teams you can form. However, It simply asks you to form a team (one team) which essentially means you can select 1 computer engineers and you will need maximum 4 Business Analyst to form a team of five.

Hence Answer is B.
B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 06:55
bulbul1993 wrote:
This question tricks you in selecting 16 when you think how many teams you can form. However, It simply asks you to form a team (one team) which essentially means you can select 1 computer engineers and you will need maximum 4 Business Analyst to form a team of five.

Hence Answer is B.

In terms of computation, what can be used to solve this?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 06:58
Each possible team of 5 has "atleast" 1 CE "AND" 1 BA.
total # of CE: 4 (given)
If total # of BA >= 5, there will be a possible scenario where team comprises of no CE and only BA's.
so highest possible # of BA's at firm = 4
GMAT Tutor
G

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 10:11
If every team of 5 you can make always has at least one engineer, then it's impossible to make a team of 5 analysts. So you can't have 5 (or more) analysts, and the most you can have is 4.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are four computer engineers and some business analysts at a firm   [#permalink] 19 May 2019, 10:11

There are four computer engineers and some business analysts at a firm

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics