Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GRE 1: Q169 V161
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the si [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
pruekv wrote:
Hi GMAT Experts,

Can anyone please help explain what the clause "a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing," modifies? And if it is a modifier, why doesn't the "touch rule" applies here?

Thank you!
pruekv

The "circumstance" referred to is the fact that there are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught. And I wouldn't call this part ("circumstance...") a modifier. Instead, it's just some additional, comma-separated, information (i.e. "Che Guevara was a revolutionary, a man who changed the course of history in Latin America.")

The construction in choice (A) is really just an alternative for something like this:

"There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught. This circumstance contributes to their depletion through overfishing."

If you are okay with that last pair of sentences, then you should be okay with choice (A)!

Is this what is known as an appositive or is that different?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the si [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
apoorv1031 wrote:
There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing.

Hi Apoorv, the portion you have put in bold, is actually not an Independent clause! It is called an absolute modifier (noun + noun modifier).

You can watch our video on Absolute modifiers.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Absolute modifier, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the
corresponding section.

Hi Ashish,EducationAisle

i have few queries.
Is monkfish not a singular noun in this sentence?
Is the construction "There are no limits on the the size of monkfish......" main clause and "as there are for cod and haddock" a subordinate clause?
Please help.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
i have few queries.
Is monkfish not a singular noun in this sentence?
Is the construction "There are no limits on the the size of monkfish......" main clause and "as there are for cod and haddock" a subordinate clause?
Please help.

Thanks

Hi sonusaini1
I will try to answer your query.
1. Monkfish is plural noun.
Such a noun is called a plurale tantum. For example, glasses, pants, and scissors are all defective nouns because they have no singular form.

2. Yes, you can consider it as sub-ordinate clause.

Hope this helps :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sd1713 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
pruekv wrote:
Hi GMAT Experts,

Can anyone please help explain what the clause "a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing," modifies? And if it is a modifier, why doesn't the "touch rule" applies here?

Thank you!
pruekv

The "circumstance" referred to is the fact that there are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught. And I wouldn't call this part ("circumstance...") a modifier. Instead, it's just some additional, comma-separated, information (i.e. "Che Guevara was a revolutionary, a man who changed the course of history in Latin America.")

Is this what is known as an appositive or is that different?

Yes, exactly. In the Che Guevara example, the phrase "a man who changed the course of history..." is a noun phrase that modifies another noun (Che Guevara), and that's exactly what an appositive does.

Don't worry too much about the terminology, though -- I've been teaching the GMAT for longer than I want to admit (NO REALLY, I'M STILL 29!!), and I don't think I've ever used the word "appositive" during a GMAT lesson. As long as you understand the logical function of the phrase, you're all good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
ugimba wrote:
anonymousvn wrote:
There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing.

A. There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing
B. There are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught, unlike cod or haddock, a circumstance that contributes to depleting them because they are being overfished.
C. There are legal limits on the size of cod and haddock that can be caught, but not for monkfish, which contributes to its depletion through overfishing .
D. Unlike cod and haddock, there are no legal size limits on catching monkfish, which contributes to its depletion by being overfished.
E. Unlike catching cod and haddock, there are no legal size limits on catching monkfish, contributing to their depletion because they are overfished.

Please explain. Tks

in A, 'their' refers to what? monkfish? .. didn't get the whole meaning of this choice..

other than A, remaining 4 choices are clearly wrong but I am not confident on A either ..

what is the source for this question?

I agree. I eliminated option A because couldn't find reference to their, since the sentence said size of monkfish and not monkfish.How do i avoid this and request someone to provide some clarity to think in future. Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
Megablaziken wrote:
ugimba wrote:
anonymousvn wrote:

A. There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing
B. There are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught, unlike cod or haddock, a circumstance that contributes to depleting them because they are being overfished.
C. There are legal limits on the size of cod and haddock that can be caught, but not for monkfish, which contributes to its depletion through overfishing .
D. Unlike cod and haddock, there are no legal size limits on catching monkfish, which contributes to its depletion by being overfished.
E. Unlike catching cod and haddock, there are no legal size limits on catching monkfish, contributing to their depletion because they are overfished.

Please explain. Tks

in A, 'their' refers to what? monkfish? .. didn't get the whole meaning of this choice..

other than A, remaining 4 choices are clearly wrong but I am not confident on A either ..

what is the source for this question?

I agree. I eliminated option A because couldn't find reference to their, since the sentence said size of monkfish and not monkfish.How do i avoid this and request someone to provide some clarity to think in future. Thanks

Even you reject A at first time, you can come back to A after realizing other choices have obvious errors.

No compromises with B,D,E : unlike should be Noun-Noun comparison (here it logically compares size with cod or haddock
Now you are left with C: When you read C you will realize the mistake:
Quote:
C. There are legal limits on the size of cod and haddock that can be caught, but not for monkfish, which contributes to monkfish's depletion through overfishing .

Immediately alert: that its is wrong

Now you would find A can be checked again
Quote:
A. There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing.

you can realize , A can be re-read as :
There are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught as there are for (size of) cod and haddock,, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing
A and B went to their school. ( their is right to refer A and B )
So you still have some reasoning to choose A and strong reasons to reject B,C,D and E.

hence A becomes the BEST CHOICE among available options.

I hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
snjainpune wrote:
Hello Experts,

How is option A correct?
their in option A can refer to cod or haddock or monkfish, right?

Could someone please explain me this?

Thanks

In most -- but certainly not all! -- cases, the pronoun "their" will refer to the most recent plural noun on the GMAT. In (A), "monkfish" is the closest plural, so there are absolutely no worries about pronoun ambiguity in this case.

For what it's worth, pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule on the GMAT, anyway. For more on this, check out our YouTube webinar on pronouns: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ucp.php?i=164.

For any other questions on this particular SC exercise, check out the excellent explanations in these links:

Can we not make the argument that even though 'their' intends to take monkfish as its antecedent that, that still doesn't work b/c monkfish is modifying size, not acting as a standalone noun?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
CEdward wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
snjainpune wrote:
Hello Experts,

How is option A correct?

Thanks

In most -- but certainly not all! -- cases, the pronoun "their" will refer to the most recent plural noun on the GMAT. In (A), "monkfish" is the closest plural, so there are absolutely no worries about pronoun ambiguity in this case.

For what it's worth, pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule on the GMAT, anyway. For more on this, check out our YouTube webinar on pronouns: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ucp.php?i=164.

For any other questions on this particular SC exercise, check out the excellent explanations in these links:

Can we not make the argument that even though 'their' intends to take monkfish as its antecedent that, that still doesn't work b/c monkfish is modifying size, not acting as a standalone noun?

There's no problem with using a pronoun to refer to the object of a preposition.

"The swarm of seagulls surrounded Tim, terrifying him with their relentless advances towards his bag of snacks."

"Seagulls" is a a plural noun (and, in case you like the jargon, the object of the preposition "of"), so we can use the plural pronoun "their" to refer to "seagulls." That's not a problem at all. "Seagulls" is still a noun, and there's no reason why a pronoun couldn't refer back to it.

Same thing with "monkfish" and "their" in choice (A) :).

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi, please help me understand this question.
For option A, "a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing" is modifying what?
If it is the size of the monkfish, it does not make sense to me(size=circumstance?)
I thought it is modifying the main clause, but is it OK in GMAT even though this modifier is located far from it?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Satomi0123 wrote:
Hi, please help me understand this question.
For option A, "a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing" is modifying what?
If it is the size of the monkfish, it does not make sense to me(size=circumstance?)
I thought it is modifying the main clause, but is it OK in GMAT even though this modifier is located far from it?

Indeed it's modifying the entire clause.

In other words, there are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught is the circumstance that the sentence is talking about.

By the way, this kind of construct is called an absolute modifier. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses absolute modifier, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
GMATNinja wrote:
snjainpune wrote:
Hello Experts,

How is option A correct?

Thanks

Hello GMATNinja
Thanks for the wonderful explanation here, but I have another problem with the use of their. I have read somewhere that their,they,them and it refers to complete noun not part of a noun, and in this case in option A complete noun is the size of monkfish.
I know I am a little confused with the uses, request you to shed some light on this.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SALAKSHYA wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
snjainpune wrote:
Hello Experts,

How is option A correct?

Thanks

Hello GMATNinja
Thanks for the wonderful explanation here, but I have another problem with the use of their. I have read somewhere that their,they,them and it refers to complete noun not part of a noun, and in this case in option A complete noun is the size of monkfish.
I know I am a little confused with the uses, request you to shed some light on this.

Cardinal rule #1 for SC: do not invent rules! :)

There's no rule against using a pronoun to refer back to part of a noun phrase. If I have a "bag of potato chips," for instance, I could use "it" to refer to the "bag," or "they" to refer to the chips. Either is fine.

Same deal here. When we see "their," all we know is that the pronoun must refer to a plural noun. "Size" is singular, so that's not a candidate, and wouldn't make much sense even if it were. But "monkfish" appears to be plural and is perfectly logical in context. That's good enough to decide that the pronoun isn't an error and move on to other issues.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
What role does "a circumstance that contributes to depleting them because they are being overfished." this part plays in choice A, i am confused. How is this part modifying the whole preceding clause , I eliminated A thinking it is a run on sentence. Pls help
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
mymba99 wrote:

(A) There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing.

(B) There are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught, unlike cod or haddock, a circumstance that contributes to depleting them because they are being overfished.

(C) There are legal limits on the size of cod and haddock that can be caught, but not for monkfish, which contributes to its depletion through overfishing.

(D) Unlike cod and haddock, there are no legal size limits on catching monkfish, which contributes to its depletion by being overfished.

(E) Unlike catching cod and haddock, there are no legal size limits on catching monkfish, contributing to their depletion because they are overfished.

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

D and E are out because of wrong comparision. C is out because monkfish doesn't contribute to a depletion. B is out because size of monfish is compared to cod or haddock. Hence A is correct choice.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kartikay26 wrote:
What role does "a circumstance that contributes to depleting them because they are being overfished." this part plays in choice A, i am confused. How is this part modifying the whole preceding clause , I eliminated A thinking it is a run on sentence. Pls help

We attempted to address this question in an earlier post here. We then answered follow-up questions here and here.

See if those help?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
AndrewN
I've gone through the thread and though GMATNinja has given some nice replies to people, I'm still unable to wrap my head around how the collective noun "Monkfish" can be referred to by a plural pronoun "their".
Through all that I have learned so far, collective nouns are mostly singular except when their individual elements are pointed out for an action.

Rule 1: Use a singular verb when the members of the group are acting together as a unit.
The family is driving across the country this summer.
The couple eats out once a month.
The herd usually stays together.
The jury has reached a decision.
A litter of kittens was born in the shelter.

Rule 2: Use a plural verb when the members of the group are acting as individuals.
The family are each doing a different chore.
The couple are taking separate cars to work today.
The jury were allowed to go home to their families each day.
A litter of kittens have been running around the shelter making messes.

Keeping this in mind, how can Monkfish be referred to by "Thier"?
I'd say, "Monkfish is my favourite type of fish". But never would I say, "Monkfish are my favourite fishes".

What am I interpretting wrong here?

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:
AndrewN
I've gone through the thread and though GMATNinja has given some nice replies to people, I'm still unable to wrap my head around how the collective noun "Monkfish" can be referred to by a plural pronoun "their".
Through all that I have learned so far, collective nouns are mostly singular except when their individual elements are pointed out for an action.

Rule 1: Use a singular verb when the members of the group are acting together as a unit.
The family is driving across the country this summer.
The couple eats out once a month.
The herd usually stays together.
The jury has reached a decision.
A litter of kittens was born in the shelter.

Rule 2: Use a plural verb when the members of the group are acting as individuals.
The family are each doing a different chore.
The couple are taking separate cars to work today.
The jury were allowed to go home to their families each day.
A litter of kittens have been running around the shelter making messes.

Keeping this in mind, how can Monkfish be referred to by "Thier"?
I'd say, "Monkfish is my favourite type of fish". But never would I say, "Monkfish are my favourite fishes".

What am I interpretting wrong here?

Posted from my mobile device

First off, PyjamaScientist, I would replace rule with convention. We are not talking about anything carved in stone. Also, I am hard-pressed to come up with an official SC question that follows "Rule 2"—such usage is much more common in everyday conversation, as well as in British English. (I have seen quite a few of these questions in the forum from outside parties, though, one on a former Chelsea FC goalkeeper and another on some hikers, if I recall correctly.) When I read the term collective noun, my mind races to something more like merchandise, a singular noun that refers to multiple elements. (The plural merchandises does not exist. The word (as a noun) always appears in singular form: the verb to merchandise and its subsequent conjugation merchandises, as in, She merchandises [goods]... does not count.) Words such as moose, elk, reindeer—heck, the whole deer family—and, here, fish, are those that can refer to either a single creature or multiple creatures without the addition of an "s" to denote plurality.

That said, picture an organization that owns a large aquarium, such as the New England Aquarium in Boston. Say that this organization owns many different types of fish (not just monkfish). It would be perfectly acceptable for someone to say, in keeping with the species' reputation, that monkfish are the ugliest [fish] on display. The comparison is between specimens of one species and those of all others (in the aquarium). Likewise, it would just as acceptable for that same person to say that the monkfish is the ugliest [fish] on display. Now, the comparison is between the species and all other species. Context makes the difference, and luckily, the GMAT™ will provide enough of it for a test-taker to tell whether a singular or plural agreement may be called for.

For fun, you may want to check out this list of 101 English words that are the same in singular and plural forms.

As always, thank you for thinking to ask, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts