GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 10:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the si

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the si  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2020, 07:36
GMATNinja wrote:
pruekv wrote:
Hi GMAT Experts,

Can anyone please help explain what the clause "a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing," modifies? And if it is a modifier, why doesn't the "touch rule" applies here?

Thank you!
pruekv

The "circumstance" referred to is the fact that there are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught. And I wouldn't call this part ("circumstance...") a modifier. Instead, it's just some additional, comma-separated, information (i.e. "Che Guevara was a revolutionary, a man who changed the course of history in Latin America.")

The construction in choice (A) is really just an alternative for something like this:

"There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught. This circumstance contributes to their depletion through overfishing."

If you are okay with that last pair of sentences, then you should be okay with choice (A)!

Thank you GMATNinja !

Just one more follow up question on this topic. How would I know whether the clause or phrase following a comma is just an additional information or a modifier?

Thanks!
pruekv
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the si  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2020, 12:17
pruekv wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
pruekv wrote:
Hi GMAT Experts,

Can anyone please help explain what the clause "a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing," modifies? And if it is a modifier, why doesn't the "touch rule" applies here?

Thank you!
pruekv

The "circumstance" referred to is the fact that there are no legal limits on the size of monkfish that can be caught. And I wouldn't call this part ("circumstance...") a modifier. Instead, it's just some additional, comma-separated, information (i.e. "Che Guevara was a revolutionary, a man who changed the course of history in Latin America.")

The construction in choice (A) is really just an alternative for something like this:

"There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught. This circumstance contributes to their depletion through overfishing."

If you are okay with that last pair of sentences, then you should be okay with choice (A)!

Thank you GMATNinja !

Just one more follow up question on this topic. How would I know whether the clause or phrase following a comma is just an additional information or a modifier?

Thanks!
pruekv

Unfortunately, I don't have a very satisfying answer for you. There are no specific rules or guidelines for deciding whether the clause or phrase following a comma is just additional information or a modifier -- you just have to think through the meaning of each individual sentence.

For whatever it's worth, I'm also not sure that the distinction matters all that much. You're trying to pick the most correct and logical sentence out of the five choices you're given, and it's very unlikely that the distinction between a modifier and additional information will be the deciding factor between two answer choices. So I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

I hope this helps a bit!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2020, 23:18
GMATNinja wrote:
pruekv wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
pruekv wrote:
Hi GMAT Experts,

Thank you!
pruekv

Thank you GMATNinja !

Thanks!
pruekv

Unfortunately, I don't have a very satisfying answer for you. There are no specific rules or guidelines for deciding whether the clause or phrase following a comma is just additional information or a modifier -- you just have to think through the meaning of each individual sentence.

For whatever it's worth, I'm also not sure that the distinction matters all that much. You're trying to pick the most correct and logical sentence out of the five choices you're given, and it's very unlikely that the distinction between a modifier and additional information will be the deciding factor between two answer choices. So I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

I hope this helps a bit!

Sounds good! Thank you for the clarification once again.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: GMBA '21

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2020, 10:03
Hi GMAT Experts, GMATNinja

Can anyone please help explain why is the FANBOYS rule not applicable in the case of option A? The bold part of the below sentence won't be treated as an independent clause?

There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing.

Thank you!
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the si  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2020, 22:34
apoorv1031 wrote:
There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can be caught, a circumstance that contributes to their depletion through overfishing.

Hi Apoorv, the portion you have put in bold, is actually not an Independent clause! It is called an absolute modifier (noun + noun modifier).

You can watch our video on Absolute modifiers.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Absolute modifier, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
GMAT Club Bot
There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the si   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2020, 22:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the si

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics