Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [33]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
There are twenty-five identical marbles to be divided among four broth [#permalink]
Hi firas92 can you further elaborate on the below point.

"Now the remaining 13 marbles must be distributed in such a way that any one can get any share

Consider the 13 marbles being separated by 3 separators such that there are four slots in all (representing the four brothers)

*************|||

We can arrange these 16 elements in \(\frac{16!}{13!3!}\) ways = 560 ways"

Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
There are twenty-five identical marbles to be divided among four broth [#permalink]
abhishek31 wrote:
Hi firas92 can you further elaborate on the below point.

"Now the remaining 13 marbles must be distributed in such a way that any one can get any share

Consider the 13 marbles being separated by 3 separators such that there are four slots in all (representing the four brothers)

*************|||

We can arrange these 16 elements in \(\frac{16!}{13!3!}\) ways = 560 ways"

Thanks.

Hi abhishek31

That is just a visualization of the formula \((n+r−1)C(r−1)\) where \(n\) identical items are distributed among \(r\) participants such that any participant may receive any number of items.

In our case, the constraint we are given is that each brother must have at least 3 marbles. How the distribution proceeds after that is not constrained in any way. Which means, once each brother has 3 marbles, we can distribute the remaining in any ratio (13-0-0-0) or (10-1-1-1) or (5-5-2-1) and so on. And remember that there is only 1 way in which we can distribute 3 marbles to each brother because the marbles are all identical.

Now I have represented the 13 marbles as *************

Now let's create 4 slots using separators ||| (each slot representing one brother) - we have to use 3 separators to make 4 slots

____Slot 1___ | ___Slot 2___ | ___Slot 3___ | ___Slot 4___

The way in which the separators are inserted determines the share. (For example *************||| = 13,0,0,0; ****|****|**|*** = 4,4,2,3; ******|*******|| = 6,7,0,0; and so on)

The above are just 3 examples of many cases. So how many ways are there to insert the separators? To calculate this, we just have to find the number of permutations involving 13 identical marbles and 3 identical separators which is given by \(\frac{16!}{13!3!}=560ways\)

Hope this is clear!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Re: There are twenty-five identical marbles to be divided among four broth [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
There are twenty-five identical marbles to be divided among four brothers such that each one of them gets no less than three marbles. In how many ways can the marbles be divided among four brothers?

(A) 286
(B) 364
(C) 455
(D) 560
(E) 650

To more people like me who were wondering what are the stars and bars, here is a complete walk through.
https://youtu.be/40HxI6Uc00Q

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
There are twenty-five identical marbles to be divided among four brothers such that each one of them gets no less than three marbles. In how many ways can the marbles be divided among four brothers?

(A) 286
(B) 364
(C) 455
(D) 560
(E) 650

Hey Bunuel can you please provide your 2 cents on this problem. I was thinking along the lines :- first divide 3 marbles to each 4 brother, then divide the remaining 13. Now each marble has 4 choices i.e 1st,2nd,3rd, or 4th brother. So \(4^{13}\). But obviously its wrong, Can you please help me understand how am I supposed to think in such questions. Also if you could redirect me to similar questions, that would be really helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: There are twenty-five identical marbles to be divided among four broth [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
rickyric395 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 286
(B) 364
(C) 455
(D) 560
(E) 650

Hey Bunuel can you please provide your 2 cents on this problem. I was thinking along the lines :- first divide 3 marbles to each 4 brother, then divide the remaining 13. Now each marble has 4 choices i.e 1st,2nd,3rd, or 4th brother. So \(4^{13}\). But obviously its wrong, Can you please help me understand how am I supposed to think in such questions. Also if you could redirect me to similar questions, that would be really helpful.

The method of (number of groups)^(number of items to distribute) works if the items we distribute are distinct, but in this case, the marbles are identical. If the items are not distinct, we should use the "Stars and Bars" method. For examples, on this check this post.

"Stars and Bars" method:

Since each brother must get at least 3 marbles, we are essentially distributing only the remaining 25 - 3*4 = 13 marbles.

Imagine the 13 marbles as 13 stars in a row. To divide these stars among 4 brothers, we need 3 bars to create 4 separate sections. For example:

***|****|***|*** would represent that the first brother got 3 chocolates, the second got 4, the third got 3, and the fourth got 3.

||**********|*** would represent that the first brother got 0 chocolates, the second got 0, the third got 10, and the fourth got 3.

****||******|*** would represent that the first brother got 4 chocolates, the second got 0, the third got 6, and the fourth got 3.

So, the problem becomes one of arranging these 13 identical stars and 3 identical bars in a row, which is given by 16!/(13!3!) = 560.

Answer: D

Hope it helps.

Thanks Bunuel. It helped a lot.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts