Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 01:28 It is currently 21 May 2024, 01:28
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625446 [3]
Given Kudos: 81917
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: There is the gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healt [#permalink]
GMATNinja sir can you explain why E is not the OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
There is the gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healt [#permalink]
I think A, B & C are easy to remove and it boils down to D & E, so for E the part between the commas "if paired with a healthy gene" might act as a removable clause and once removed the sentence will not make sentence as this has to be there.

(D) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will not result in the individual’s developing

(E) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual

Anybody if knows that I am wrong can correct me, happy to learn! :)
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Originally posted by Ps1810 on 23 Feb 2023, 23:30.
Last edited by Ps1810 on 25 Feb 2023, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: There is the gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healt [#permalink]
Kudos
Ps1810 wrote:
I think A, B & C are easy to remove and it boils down to D & E, so for E the part between the commas "if paired with a healthy gene" might act as a removable clause and once removed the sentence will not make sentence as this has to be there.
(D) If paired with a healthy gene, the gene that causes hemophilia will not result in the individual’s developing

(E) Hemophilia is caused by a gene that, if paired with a healthy gene, will not develop in the individual

THANKS IN ADVANCE

In my opinion, the right answer is D.
Even if "individual's developing disease's symptoms" seems not the best, final part of answer E is akaward. The subject of develop diseases is the individual, not the gene.
Only my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
IMO as well D is the answer my post was regarding Why I think E is wrong and if anyone can let me know it would be great.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Ps1810 wrote:

THANKS IN ADVANCE

I think I might be able to help.
By using restrictive modifier "that" in answer choice E, the meaning of the original sentence gets slightly distorted. The meaning that E conveys is that gene can only cause Hemophilia, if paired with healthy gene, will not develop in the individual the disease's symptom. This meaning is a bit non-sensical if you think.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 380 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
There is the gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healt [#permalink]
There is the gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healthy gene, the individual will not develop the disease’s symptoms.

Meaning. Gene --> Haemophilia. However, when gene (paired with healthy gene) ---> individual won't develop the symptoms.

(A) There is the gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healthy gene, the individual will not develop
incorrect modifier usage

(B) The gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop
incorrect modifier usage; also, the use of conditional 'than' is incorrect

(C) There is the gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene, the individual will not develop
doubtful over the subject of 'if paired with a healthy gene'..S-V agreement error

Correct modifier reference..also, correct meaning as described above

It's not the gene that develops the symptoms, rather it's a the typical condition that leads to the individual's developing
symptoms

(D) is the CORRECT answer
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625446 [0]
Given Kudos: 81917
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
There is the gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healthy gene, the individual will not develop the disease’s symptoms.

(A) There is the gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healthy gene, the individual will not develop

(B) The gene that causes hemophilia which, if paired with a healthy gene, then the individual will not develop

(C) There is the gene that causes hemophilia, and if paired with a healthy gene, the individual will not develop

This is a SC Butler Question

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The correct answer is (D).

In the original version, the superfluous there is sets up an awkward construction. The sentence should be reconstructed, omitting there is. Among the other four versions, choice (D) provides the best solution.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts