It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 04:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

These days, drug companies and health professionals alike

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 10

Re: These days, drug companies and health professionals alike [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2010, 21:25
Cool !!! I was right :)

I was waiting for OA desperately

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 10

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 11:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.62

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 22:24
I was doubt between A and E... eventualy I've choosen E because A says that "If a person has low blood cholesterol, then that person's risk of fatal heart disease is low" but there are other factors that could increase the risk of heart attack, that's why the risk maybe is lower but certainly not low.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 14

Schools: ISB '17 (A), IIMC (A)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 01:21
a) If a person has low blood cholesterol, then that person's risk of fatal heart disease is low. It cannot be assumed that the reverse condition will be true.
b) Smoking in moderation can entail as great a risk of fatal heart disease as does heavy smoking.the text doesn't talk about type of smoking
c)a high-cholesterol diet is the principal cause of death in North America."Principal cause" is too generelized
d) The only way that smoking increases one's risk of fatal heart disease is by influencing the levels of cholesterol in the blood.Smoking can have other effects too.
e) the risk of fatal disease can be altered by certain changes in lifestyle.This should be correct as the passage is suggesting this.

Please state the OA

Sometimes standing still can be, the best move you ever make......

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 111

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2014, 04:18
These days, drug companies and health professionals alike are focusing their attention on cholesterol in the blood. The more cholesterol we have in our blood, the higher the risk that we shall die of a heart attack. The issue is pertinent since heart disease kills more North Americans every year than any other single cause. At least three factors - smoking, drinking and exercise- can each influence levels of cholesterol in the blood.

Which one of the following can be properly concluded from the passage?

a) If a person has low blood cholesterol, then that person's risk of fatal heart disease is low - Subject under discussion is 'People with High Ch.' hence Irrelevant.
b) Smoking in moderation can entail as great a risk of fatal heart disease as does heavy smoking - Breaking of category hence wrong.
c) a high-cholesterol diet is the principal cause of death in North America - Extreme language
d) The only way that smoking increases one's risk of fatal heart disease is by influencing the levels of cholesterol in the blood - Ways How smoking influences Ch. level is not the discussion point. Also, extreme language.
e) the risk of fatal disease can be altered by certain changes in lifestyle - Correct.

Correct If I am wrong in my reasoning... :wink:

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 111

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 536 [0], given: 75

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 23:43
onedayill wrote:
onedayill wrote:
onedayill wrote:
E

1. there might other reason exists for a person to have higher risk---eleminated
2. just says smoking can influence ..no comment on how---eliminated
3. No points that high-cholesterol food causes high cholesterol in blood--eliminated
4. No information on smoking--eliminated
5. this is the nearest hence I have chosen this

what's the OA?

What's taking it soo long to post OA.
:roll:

God damn !!!
why don't people post the OA when they post the question . this is silly !!
this practice should be refrained .

Thanks,
Lucky

Kudos [?]: 536 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 22:45
MO : D

a) If a person has low blood cholesterol, then that person's risk of fatal heart disease is low. (there can be other reason as well)
b) Smoking in moderation can entail as great a risk of fatal heart disease as does heavy smoking (eliminated as we are no where comparing smoking)
c)a high-cholesterol diet is the principal cause of death in North America (too strong too say principal cause)
d) The only way that smoking increases one's risk of fatal heart disease is by influencing the levels of cholesterol in the blood - as the last statement says about it.. [correct answer for me]
e) the risk of fatal disease can be altered by certain changes in lifestyle (out of scope, it says about fatal diseases)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 13:05
aadikamagic wrote:
a) If a person has low blood cholesterol, then that person's risk of fatal heart disease is low. It cannot be assumed that the reverse condition will be true.
b) Smoking in moderation can entail as great a risk of fatal heart disease as does heavy smoking.the text doesn't talk about type of smoking
c)a high-cholesterol diet is the principal cause of death in North America."Principal cause" is too generelized
d) The only way that smoking increases one's risk of fatal heart disease is by influencing the levels of cholesterol in the blood.Smoking can have other effects too.
e) the risk of fatal disease can be altered by certain changes in lifestyle.This should be correct as the passage is suggesting this.

Please state the OA

Stimulus says the more cholesterol in blood the higher the risk of death, so we can definately assume the reverse.
IMO this is clear A. In E what is this Fatal Disease, every fatal disease????Stimulus talks specifically abouth HEART DISEASE. The are million other fatal diseases that are not affected by high colesterol.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 02:17
Still no OA? The discussion here is too open ended!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 202

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 07:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
These days, drug companies and health professionals alike are focusing their attention on cholesterol in the blood. The more cholesterol we have in our blood, the higher the risk that we shall die of a heart attack. The issue is pertinent since heart disease kills more North Americans every year than any other single cause. At least three factors - smoking, drinking and exercise- can each influence levels of cholesterol in the blood.

a) If a person has low blood cholesterol, then that person's risk of fatal heart disease is low.
b) Smoking in moderation can entail as great a risk of fatal heart disease as does heavy smoking
c)a high-cholesterol diet is the principal cause of death in North America
d) The only way that smoking increases one's risk of fatal heart disease is by influencing the levels of cholesterol in the blood
e) the risk of fatal disease can be altered by certain changes in lifestyle

Last edited by broall on 05 Jun 2017, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 202

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
vikasp99 wrote:

a) If a person has low blood cholesterol, then that person's risk of fatal heart disease is low.
b) Smoking in moderation can entail as great a risk of fatal heart disease as does heavy smoking
d) The only way that smoking increases one's risk of fatal heart disease is by influencing the levels of cholesterol in the blood

i was between A and E ..Selected E ....
For A i thought, the passage is specific about more chols. greater chnace of "heart attack" , n answer choice is taking a general case i'e fetal heart disease.there can be other heart disease that does not depend on chols level..so i rejected A

Kudos [?]: 93 [1], given: 46

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 21:24
sobby wrote:
vikasp99 wrote:

i was between A and E ..Selected E ....
For A i thought, the passage is specific about more chols. greater chnace of "heart attack" , n answer choice is taking a general case i'e fetal heart disease.there can be other heart disease that does not depend on chols level..so i rejected A

A nice way to exclude Option A sobby. Unfortunately i fell for the trap and chose A. Thank you

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 142

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 145

Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q14 V36
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 610 Q36 V38
GMAT 4: 570 Q29 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE: Account Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 16:10
i was stuck between A and E, i was choosing E but changed my mind because i thought that the conclusion that the question stem provided information for was in regards to levels of cholesterol and if you have low cholesterol then you have low risk factors. The changes in lifestyle just made more sense to me from a "everyday health perspective" - its obvious that that would or should be the conclusion but i chose not to go with that thought process.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 145

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 577

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 17:47
A is a trap answer in my opinion. Just because if a person has a "low blood cholesterol" doesn't really mean that he or she is ultimately safe. Their risk could be higher as well. The passage doesn't really state anything about "low blood cholesterol" and its correlation with heart disease. E hits the conclusion right in the head

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 577

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 01:24
dimitri92 wrote:
These days, drug companies and health professionals alike are focusing their attention on cholesterol in the blood. The more cholesterol we have in our blood, the higher the risk that we shall die of a heart attack. The issue is pertinent since heart disease kills more North Americans every year than any other single cause. At least three factors - smoking, drinking and exercise - can each influence levels of cholesterol in the blood.

A) If a person has low blood cholesterol, then that person's risk of fatal heart disease is low.
B) Smoking in moderation can entail as great a risk of fatal heart disease as does heavy smoking
C) A high-cholesterol diet is the principal cause of death in North America
D) The only way that smoking increases one's risk of fatal heart disease is by influencing the levels of cholesterol in the blood
E) The risk of fatal disease can be altered by certain changes in lifestyle

Source: LSAT PrepTests

I think those who chose "A" failed to identify the type of the question. This is a Must BE True question. The stimulus did not provide any information about relationship between low blood cholesterol and the fatal heart disease.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 121

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 02:12
Hello members,
I came down to A and E but I rejected E because I am not sure if we can consider heart disease as a subset of fatal disease.
I mean many other diseases can come under fatal disease. But the argument talks only about heart disease.

Kindly help and correct my reasoning.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 121

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 27

WE: Consulting (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 09:16
kumarparitosh123 wrote:
Hello members,
I came down to A and E but I rejected E because I am not sure if we can consider heart disease as a subset of fatal disease.
I mean many other diseases can come under fatal disease. But the argument talks only about heart disease.

Kindly help and correct my reasoning.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi,

This is my approach (sharing because I got this question right well within 2 minutes). I try to choose an option which is LEAST WRONG, rather than a PERFECT ONE.

(A) Causal relationship is distorted. Yes, higher the cholesterol, higher the risk of disease. But there are N number of factors which can cause fatal disease EVEN IF cholesterol is ZERO. Therefore, based on the stimulus, we cannot say lower the cholesterol, lower the risk of fatal disease.

(B) Definitely wrong. Cannot deduce this based on the stimulus.

(C) High blood cholesterol is an issue, not high cholesterol diet.

(D) Definitely wrong. Cannot deduce this based on the stimulus.

(E) First things first. If heart disease kills people in NA, then it is fatal. To your second point --> Had it said, "The risk of fatal disease is DECREASED..", it would have been definitely wrong because we cannot deduce that from the question stem as heart disease is not the only fatal disease. However, based on the stimulus, we can definitely deduce that by making CERTAIN changes in the lifestyle (based on the 3 lifestyle factors mentioned in the stimulus), we can ALTER the risk. To help you imagine, let's assume someone is about to get mouth cancer because of tobacco and a heart disease because of smoking. And let's assume that lung cancer is more deadly. Even if this is the case, based on the stimulus, I can still say with confidence that risk of fatal disease can be ALTERED by CERTAIN changes in the lifestyle, without mentioning the nature of alteration.

Hope this explains.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 27

Re: These days, drug companies and health professionals alike   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2017, 09:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

These days, drug companies and health professionals alike

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap