GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 21:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

This passage is based on an article written in the mid-1990s.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
This passage is based on an article written in the mid-1990s. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 01:19
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

96% (01:20) correct 4% (02:45) wrong based on 53

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

47% (00:33) correct 53% (00:52) wrong based on 53

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

65% (00:26) correct 35% (00:16) wrong based on 54

Source : GMATPrep EP 2

During the past 40 years, the star FG Sagittae has changed color from blue to yellow—direct evidence that its temperature has dropped dramatically. Its cooling is probably due to a rapid increase in its size, an inference that is indirectly supported by two independent pieces of observational evidence. Like many stars, FG Sagittae rhythmically pulsates, beating like a heart, and over the past 30 years the period of this pulsation has noticeably lengthened. Given that a star's pulsation period is determined by its radius, FG Sagittae must have gotten larger. Moreover, FG Sagittae's total luminosity—the amount of light it emits over all wavelengths—has been observed to remain constant despite the star's plummeting temperature. It is known that a star's luminosity is the product of its temperature and its radius multiplied together: if one of the two factors has decreased while over the same period luminosity has remained constant, the other factor must have increased.

One interesting sidelight: even though the total amount of light FG Sagittae emits has not changed, the star now appears brighter in the sky than it did 40 years ago. Then, being a blue star, it emitted most of its light at ultraviolet wavelengths, and ultraviolet light is invisible to human eyes.
1. According to the passage, if the luminosity of a given star has remained constant while its temperature has decreased, what will also necessarily be true of the star?

(A) The star will have increased in size.

(B) The star's apparent brightness will have substantially increased.

(C) The star will have changed from blue to yellow in color.

(D) The star's pulsation period will have shortened somewhat.

(E) The star will have begun to emit less visible light than it once did.

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the phrase “two independent pieces of observational evidence” (see highlighted text) refers to observations made of which of the following?

(A) FG Sagittae's apparent brightness in the sky and its temperature

(B) FG Sagittae's color and its temperature

(C) The amount of light FG Sagittae emits across all wavelengths and its pulsation period

(D) FG Sagittae's radius and its color

(E) The amount of light FG Sagittae emits across all wavelengths and the amount it emits at ultraviolet wavelengths

3. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with

(A) analyzing the effects of a particular phenomenon

(B) presenting evidence in favor of a given explanation

(C) reporting new data that undermines an accepted view

(D) evaluating the arguments in favor of a given hypothesis

(E) presenting an interesting sidelight on a complex phenomenon

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: This passage is based on an article written in the mid-1990s. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 01:21
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 03:03
Can someone explain how is the correct answer to Q2, C? I got B. The previous line to the one highlighted says that the reasons why the temperature has decreased rapidly is because of the increasing radius. So I am inferring it is something to do with the temperature?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 04:04
[quote="SajjitaKundu"]Can someone explain how is the correct answer to Q2, C? I got B. The previous line to the one highlighted says that the reasons why the temperature has decreased rapidly is because of the increasing radius. So I am inferring it is something to do with the temperature?[/quote

Hello,
I am not an expert, but i would be happy to help :-)
Just after the highlighted text, the author puts the observation. The author talks about the pulsation period which has been lengthened and after that about its luminosity-the amount of wavelengths......- which has remained constant.
Thus, answer is C. B talks about color and temperature, which only comes into light when talking about luminosity remaining constant and temperature increasing. Thus, B is too vague and narrow to be the answer.
Re: This passage is based on an article written in the mid-1990s.   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2018, 04:04

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap