Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 957 [6]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32859 [2]
Given Kudos: 4452
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2013
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Re: Thunderclouds form when warm, moist air rises into cooler air above [#permalink]
Thunderclouds form when warm, moist air rises into cooler air above, because either the ground is warmer than usually or because the interaction of two air masses, one warm and one cold, forces warm air to rise.

(A) because either the ground is warmer than usually or because
(B) because either the ground is warmer than usual or because of
(C) because of either the ground being warmer than usual or because
(D) either because of the ground's being warmer than usually or because of
(E) either because the ground is warmer than usual or because

Why is D wrong ? IMO because of followed by a verb is wrong, as in option D contains verb "being". Please let me know if my reasoning is correct
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Thunderclouds form when warm, moist air rises into cooler air above [#permalink]
Kudos
dshuvendu wrote:
Thunderclouds form when warm, moist air rises into cooler air above, because either the ground is warmer than usually or because the interaction of two air masses, one warm and one cold, forces warm air to rise.

Why is D wrong ? IMO because of followed by a verb is wrong, as in option D contains verb "being". Please let me know if my reasoning is correct

Hello.

D is wrong because:

1. "ground's being warmer" = ground is being warmer. Why we use present continuous? Present simple is correct.

2. Because of + noun/noun phrase. But the "second" because of + clause (because of the interaction of two air masses, one warm and one cold, forces warm air to rise.). That's wrong.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
dshuvendu wrote:

Hello.

D is wrong because:

1. "ground's being warmer" = ground is being warmer. Why we use present continuous? Present simple is correct.

2. Because of + noun/noun phrase. But the "second" because of + clause (because of the interaction of two air masses, one warm and one cold, forces warm air to rise.). That's wrong.

Hope it helps.

So does that mean because of +"clause" is permissible in GMAT ? I am under the impression that because of+"Noun or Noun Phrase" is the only permissible structure
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
gmat will not force us to realize that "than usual " is correct and that "than usually" is incorrect.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos