GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tired and bored of the whole GMAT thing!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
Tired and bored of the whole GMAT thing!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 14:54
Am I the only one who gets demoralized and demotivated?
I don't feel like studying anymore, sincerely!
I feel like pausing my GMAT prep to have some fun and then come back to it later.

What should I do?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Tired and bored of the whole GMAT thing!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 19:50
Hi MrJglass,

It's not clear how long you've been studying, but many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. While you do NOT need to study every day, you have to be careful about how long you 'step away' from your studies (since GMAT skills can 'fade' over time). Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 20:43
MrJglass

Oh Boy! I wish I could give you more kudos for this post since lots of students preparing on the forum may relate
to your feelings.

To quickly answer your question, YES YES!!
Please do take a break if you feel saturated from your studies.
I earlier wrote a post here about movies inspired from
real life stories that at least motivated me to get through this tough prep. Few other options are:
a. Watching sitcoms (My personal fav is Friends, you may pick yours.)
b. See the debrief of massive jump from 590 to 750 after this student resorted to taking a break from studies. Of course, change in studying habits matter,but
you need to keep your mind afresh and engaged to get best out of this exam.
c. A total different topic to know why engaging in few activities can help you become more happy, an essential ingredient for your success.

May you bring the best of yourself of D-day!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 21:06
MrJglass wrote:
I feel like pausing my GMAT prep to have some fun and then come back to it later.

What should I do?

I think you should really postpone your GMAT study for a while.

You could consider whether GMAT is your way to follow. Sometimes GMAT as well as MBA is not suitable for everyone but people take a lot of time to realize this one.

If you are still interested in MBA/GMAT, try to relax for a period of time. Watching movies, listening to music, traveling, or doing whatever you like to relax. When you feel that you are ready to get back to GMAT, do it. Try to read some inspirational stories to boost motivation. Then spend 100% of your effort to get to your goals. I'm sure that you will get better results than at present.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 21:22
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MrJglass,

It's not clear how long you've been studying, but many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. While you do NOT need to study every day, you have to be careful about how long you 'step away' from your studies (since GMAT skills can 'fade' over time). Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hello Rich,

Thanks for your concern. I feel much better now. I guess I was overworked up yesterday. Anyway, here are the answers to your questions. It's not the traditional one but here it is.

Studies:
1) I started studying for the GMAT in February this year, but I wasn't very consistent after the first month because of a lot of life events. However, I was consistent last month. So that's 5 months now.

2) OG,Barrons Gre Quant, 800 level quant practice questions. I downloaded the Manhattan SC free PDF online, as to whether it is the complete text book, I really don't know .

3) I've refused to take the full practice tests since the last time I took it. The first time I took the test I scored so low and after 1 month of preparation, my score increased by 150 points with the official gmatprep, increasing it to 430.
A month later, I came back and scored the same score and just decided to quit taking the full tests. What's the point of taking the tests without working hard enough to improve myself?
Usually my verbal score is higher than my quant. I moved to a different city and I left my actual score records back there.

Goals:
4) 760+
5) I'll be very happy if I can write it by next month (August), but I won't write it until my practice test score is close to my target score.
6) I am actually applying for a Masters in Economics at LSE presently. I intend to go to business school in five years time, by then I'll be 26.
7) My target business schools are HBS and Stanford. But I don't really like Stanford, I prefer HBS.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 21:26
adkikani wrote:
MrJglass

Oh Boy! I wish I could give you more kudos for this post since lots of students preparing on the forum may relate
to your feelings.

To quickly answer your question, YES YES!!
Please do take a break if you feel saturated from your studies.
I earlier wrote a post here about movies inspired from
real life stories that at least motivated me to get through this tough prep. Few other options are:
a. Watching sitcoms (My personal fav is Friends, you may pick yours.)
b. See the debrief of massive jump from 590 to 750 after this student resorted to taking a break from studies. Of course, change in studying habits matter,but
you need to keep your mind afresh and engaged to get best out of this exam.
c. A total different topic to know why engaging in few activities can help you become more happy, an essential ingredient for your success.

May you bring the best of yourself of D-day!

Thanks a lot! I'll check these out.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 12:03
Hi MrJglass,

Based on the information that you have provided, it does not appear that the work you've done so far is a proper 'match' for the Goals that you want to achieve. A 760+ score is the 99th percentile - meaning that 99% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. Your studies appear to have been inconsistent and lacking in structure (working from a mosh-mash of study materials without following a formal Study Plan or GMAT Course) AND you refuse to take FULL-LENGTH CATs. Without the data that those CATs provide, there's no practical way to track your progress/improvement and no way to determine your 'readiness' to face the Official GMAT.

Assuming your current 'ability level' is in the 400s, raising that level to a 700+ will be a challenging task and will require that you make big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections You would almost certainly have to commit to at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. By extension, you would need to push back your planned Test Date.

It might be a good idea for you to take a little 'time off' from your GMAT studies, so that you can clear your head and better define how committed you are to these Goals. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 07:56
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MrJglass,

Based on the information that you have provided, it does not appear that the work you've done so far is a proper 'match' for the Goals that you want to achieve. A 760+ score is the 99th percentile - meaning that 99% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. Your studies appear to have been inconsistent and lacking in structure (working from a mosh-mash of study materials without following a formal Study Plan or GMAT Course) AND you refuse to take FULL-LENGTH CATs. Without the data that those CATs provide, there's no practical way to track your progress/improvement and no way to determine your 'readiness' to face the Official GMAT.

Assuming your current 'ability level' is in the 400s, raising that level to a 700+ will be a challenging task and will require that you make big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections You would almost certainly have to commit to at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. By extension, you would need to push back your planned Test Date.

It might be a good idea for you to take a little 'time off' from your GMAT studies, so that you can clear your head and better define how committed you are to these Goals. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich

Thanks for your feedback. You know what?
I have no problem with extending my planned test date. I just hope that one day I'll stop extending it. I don't know anyone who has taken the GMAT and scored a 700+ score. I'm just groping in the dark, hoping to eventually get to the end of the tunnel. However, I'll take a practice test soon and get back to you. Hopefully, we'll see what steps I can take from there.

Thank you very much for your help and support.
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 10:49
Hi MrJglass,

Stay strong, my friend! All GMAT test-takers experience the ups and downs of studying for such a demanding exam. All I can say is that if you can fight through your bad days, you will be OK. I’m glad to hear that you’re open to taking another practice exam. Doing so will allow you to see exactly where you stand and how much more work it may take to achieve your score goal.

You also may find it helpful to check out my article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jul 2018, 11:47
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi MrJglass,

Stay strong, my friend! All GMAT test-takers experience the ups and downs of studying for such a demanding exam. All I can say is that if you can fight through your bad days, you will be OK. I’m glad to hear that you’re open to taking another practice exam. Doing so will allow you to see exactly where you stand and how much more work it may take to achieve your score goal.

You also may find it helpful to check out my article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Thanks a lot! I'm energized by this. Really, thank you very much. I'll sure get back to you if need be.
Really great post there:how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.
I got this one:
"Believe You Can Do It, and Say You Can Do it
Do not talk yourself out of a great GMAT score. Instead, talk yourself into a great GMAT score! Remember, your thoughts become your words, and your words become your actions. Believe in yourself!!"

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Originally posted by MrJglass on 20 Jul 2018, 11:33.
Last edited by MrJglass on 20 Jul 2018, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 11:37
MrJglass wrote:

What should I do?

That's when I took the GMAT .... :hurt: not sure if it is a good time for you to take it, but when i reached this point in my prep, I knew I had to or otherwise, I would lose whatever I learned out of hatred for it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 11:44
bb wrote:
MrJglass wrote:

What should I do?

That's when I took the GMAT .... :hurt: not sure if it is a good time for you to take it, but when i reached this point in my prep, I knew I had to or otherwise, I would lose whatever I learned out of hatred for it.

I don't feel that way anymore and I hope I don't. Now, I'm studying gradually, day after day.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tired and bored of the whole GMAT thing! &nbs [#permalink] 20 Jul 2018, 11:44

Tired and bored of the whole GMAT thing!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap