It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2014, 00:30
yolandaxu wrote:
How can we find out that the sentence explains a hypothetical situation? Are there any signal words?

To identify the hypothetical situation you have to understand the meaning also there is ,in some cases, inclusion of 'if'/'wish' clause that marks the hypothetical situation.
Think is the sentence is talking about an uncertainty (contrary to reality) for example :

If it rains,(then) we will go out -- here IF denotes the conditional occurrence of an event in future on which another event depends which might occur.
Here we used 'will' because the conditional clause is in present tense.

other cases Past and Perfect - uses would and would have respectively.... Other point to note such sentence always uses plural verb form (instead of was -- it will be were) irrespective of the subject
If I were king, I would rule the world.
If I had two cars, I would have never own a bicycle.

"would" is generally used for the refer future in the past.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 67

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 84

Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2014, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic determinants of fertility.

A. have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic - Since it is a hypothetical situation, a conditional clause must be used. Economic is correct
B. have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical - Hypothetical Situation + Economical is wrong
C. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical - Would Have is correct. Economical is wrong.
D. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic - Correct
E. would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical - Illogical Comparison between knowledge and Time (Now). Economical is wrong

Economic - Is used to refer to general general economy
Economical is used for cost wise reference. E.g. Product X is economical (not economic)

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Kudos [?]: 277 [1], given: 84

NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2014, 03:52
A. have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic
B. have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
C. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
D. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
E. would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

Bold areas : issues
Highlighted option correct.

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 11:37
hbs2012 wrote:
To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic detriments of fertility.

(A) have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic
(B) have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
(C) would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
(D) would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
(E) would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

Question 32 Set 1

help

One must note a use of 'would' to show uncertainty.

Secondly, one must also note a difference between economic vs. economical.

economic is the subject economics.

economical is cheap/ low price

Hence, option D is a right choice with correct usage of would and economic.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 20:37
hbs2012 wrote:
To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic detriments of fertility.

(A) have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic
(B) have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
(C) would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
(D) would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
(E) would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

Question 32 Set 1

help

if A contain "in the future" so that it parallel to "now" then, A will be correct

if we can use "now" in the second part of comparison but have no corresponding part in the first part such as "in the future" the sentence is not parallel.

we add"they do" to make sentence paralel.

A means

they have to know more than they have to know now.
future time is needed in the first part of sentence

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 11:39
but isnt would is used with past and will is used with present? here we are talking about present right? so will should come in answer but would is there.. kindly please can anyone explain this to me

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Kudos [?]: 309 [1], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 02:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
"Would" is used for - Uncertainty (meaning wise) and technically "Would" is used in reference to "Past as well as Future tense"

In this question, since population forecasts need to be developed (not yet developed) , there is an element of uncertainty as far as know how of demographers w.r.t social and economic determinants is concerned. That's the reaon "Would" is used.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Kudos [?]: 309 [1], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 194

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 08:29
Does it make sense to have will instead of would?
would the sentence still be right?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 194

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 45

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 10:42
To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic determinants of fertility.

B. have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
C. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economical
D. would have to know a great deal more than they do now about the social and economic
E. would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 45

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 11:22
goforgmat wrote:
Does it make sense to have will instead of would?
would the sentence still be right?

Nopes. Its the same reason that you used would for your second question. This is a hypothetical situation. We are not sure if one will would into another. Its a speculation. This is a 'hypothetical subjunctive'. Hence, would is better suited.

Ex - It will rain tomorrow - There is a certainity
If I were intelligent, I would score a perfect 800 - I speculate or hypothesize the possibility of scoring 800 if I were intelligent. There is no certainty.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 04:55
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked about this privately, but I think the same question was asked by mymisc as well. The question is, do we need the "would" here, and why? The issue is that this sentence is a hypothetical/conditional:

To develop more accurate population forecasts

We could reword this as "If we wanted more accurate forecasts, demographers..."

In a conditional construction, we need the "would". Look at how it would work in a NON-conditional:

To develop accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more...

See how, in that example, without the "more," we're just talking about a fact (how forecasts are developed accurately)? But with the conditional, we need the complete conditional construction, with "would."

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

-t

GmatDestroyer2013 wrote:
yolandaxu wrote:
How can we find out that the sentence explains a hypothetical situation? Are there any signal words?

To identify the hypothetical situation you have to understand the meaning also there is ,in some cases, inclusion of 'if'/'wish' clause that marks the hypothetical situation.
Think is the sentence is talking about an uncertainty (contrary to reality) for example :

If it rains,(then) we will go out -- here IF denotes the conditional occurrence of an event in future on which another event depends which might occur.

other cases Past and Perfect - uses would and would have respectively.... Other point to note such sentence always uses plural verb form (instead of was -- it will be were) irrespective of the subject

Is there any clear guideline (eg. "more" as a must-be signal word) in distinguishing between a factual sentence and a hypothetical/conditional situation?
Seriously, I fail to justify why this sentence can't be a factual statement (since it lacks "if"), which makes "would" redundant.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 00:56
Post bump. Still unable to understand this even with extensive reading online. Any taker?

gmatretest wrote:
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked about this privately, but I think the same question was asked by mymisc as well. The question is, do we need the "would" here, and why? The issue is that this sentence is a hypothetical/conditional:

To develop more accurate population forecasts

We could reword this as "If we wanted more accurate forecasts, demographers..."

In a conditional construction, we need the "would". Look at how it would work in a NON-conditional:

To develop accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more...

See how, in that example, without the "more," we're just talking about a fact (how forecasts are developed accurately)? But with the conditional, we need the complete conditional construction, with "would."

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

-t

GmatDestroyer2013 wrote:
yolandaxu wrote:

Is there any clear guideline (eg. "more" as a must-be signal word) in distinguishing between a factual sentence and a hypothetical/conditional situation?
Seriously, I fail to justify why this sentence can't be a factual statement (since it lacks "if"), which makes "would" redundant.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3078 [4], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 05:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatretest wrote:
Post bump. Still unable to understand this even with extensive reading online. Any taker?

gmatretest wrote:

A more accurate population forecast does not exist now. A forecast exists, but it is just as accurate as it is now - it is not more accurate than it is now. Developing a more accurate forecast is a hypothetical situation - it may or may not be possible to develop more accurate forecasts. The outcome depends on another hypothetical situation: the demographers would have to know more. It may or may not be possible for the demographers to know more. Hence the statement is hypothetical and not factual.

However if we already knew that it is possible for the demographers to have more accurate knowledge and in such case more accurate forecasts could be developed, we would not then require "would" - in that case the statement would be factual and grammatically correct without "would". However we do not have a grammatically correct option without "would" ( A wrong - comparison issues , B wrong - use of economical). Hence option D is the best.

Kudos [?]: 3078 [4], given: 22

Director
Director
D

Kudos [?]: 383 [0], given: 108

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 09:07
english_august wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 383 [0], given: 108

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 10:58
The phrase has to use a tense that isn't the present. The comparison has to follow a parallel structure. The impact is economic rather than economical.

All 3 conditions point to one answer choice: D.

Offering top quality online and offline GMAT tutoring service in Vietnam, Southeast Asia, and worldwide.

$50/hour as of February 2017.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 11:24
this question is way to easy to get the correct choice,

for developing forecasts demographers WOULD have to know, not HAVE to.

eliminate A and B

next problem is social and economic not economical-economical deals with efficiency and economic monetarily .

so we need economic.

C and E are eliminated .Left with D which is correct

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 514 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 21:25
english_august wrote:

Since we are talking about future, there is an uncertainty. hence we need to use would not have.
Eliminate options A and B

There is a big difference between economical (cheap) and economic (related to money matters)
We are talking about economic determinants.
Eliminate options C and E

Correct Option: D

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Last edited by OptimusPrepJanielle on 21 Jul 2016, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 514 [0], given: 23

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 00:37
english_august wrote:

ANSWER IS D

First of all one should know use of ECONOMICAL is incorrect in this sentence. "ECONOMICAL" means affordable, cheap, not expensive
The correct term to use here would be "ECONOMIC". ECONOMIC means related to money, economics or monetary reasons

Option B,C and E are out because of wrong word "ECONOMICAL"

Option A and D remaining

Since the sentence suggest a future action, "would" is the correct tense

Option A is out because it makes a faulty comparison and is not parallel. Also does not have the correct future tense "would"

Option D is flawless.:- Correct term "Economic" Correct comparison "demographers .... great deal more than they do" and correct future tense "would"

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 81

WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 08:39

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 81

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: ISB '17
GMAT 1: 750 Q40 V35
GPA: 3.73
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 01:36
[quote="devinawilliam83"]To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economic determinants of fertility.

The sentence refers to an action in future tense. "would have" correctly reflects the tense than "have"
The sentence refers to an action in future tense. "would have" correctly reflects the tense than "have"
"economical" refers to something good value in return,while "economic" is something related to money
"economical" refers to something good value in return,while "economic" is something related to money
Correct: tense of the sentence is correct. Word "economic" is correctly used
click "kudos" if it helped :-D

Re: To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2016, 01:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 69 posts ]