Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [22]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT Date: 03-23-2015
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32864 [4]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Send PM
Re: To make salt from sea water, you start by collecting some sea water [#permalink]
I read in an expert post that GMAT sentences are never in "I/you" etc. They are always in the third person. So, I request the makers of this question to slightly change this question, so that it is more real GMAT like:).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [1]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: To make salt from sea water, you start by collecting some sea water [#permalink]
Kudos
VerbalHow wrote:
I read in an expert post that GMAT sentences are never in "I/you" etc. They are always in the third person. So, I request the makers of this question to slightly change this question, so that it is more real GMAT like:).

I also don't like this question. In B 'after which' refers to what? By meaning it must refer to 'after draining it into the water', but it can't refer to whole clause. In addition, I think before the word 'leading' there must a comma, or otherwise it modifies the sun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Ergenekon wrote:
VerbalHow wrote:

I also don't like this question. In B 'after which' refers to what? By meaning it must refer to 'after draining it into the water', but it can't refer to whole clause. In addition, I think before the word 'leading' there must a comma, or otherwise it modifies the sun.

Me too!!!
I also find this sentence awkward for the same reason.
This is not a GMAT like sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
Send PM
samichange wrote:
Ergenekon wrote:
VerbalHow wrote:

Me too!!!
I also find this sentence awkward for the same reason.
This is not a GMAT like sentence.

Yep, the leading here is without a comma, hence it modifies the sun. The intended meaning is to modify the entire clause
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
To make salt from sea water, you start by collecting some sea water [#permalink]
There are many errors in the question itself. Since it is common everywhere, I ignored it.

Still we can learn few things from this question which is mentioned below.I hope it will be helpful..

amolg wrote:
To make salt from sea water, you start by collecting some sea water in a pond and expose it to the sun leading to the formation of brine, which is then drained into harvesting ponds where sodium chloride or common salt finally crystallizes at the bottom of the ponds.

(A) you start by collecting some sea water in a pond and expose it to the sun leading to the
formation of brine, which is then drained into harvesting ponds where
Parallelism error in sentence : collecting some sea... and expose it to it should be exposing.

(B) you start by collecting some sea water in a pond and exposing it to the sun leading to the
formation of brine, which is then drained into harvesting ponds after which
There should be comma before leading and I don't understand the use of after which

(C) you start by collecting some sea water in a pond and expose it to the sun, which leads to
the formation of brine, and then draining it into harvesting ponds where
Wrong use of which. which leads modifies sun.

(D) you start by collecting and exposing some sea water in a pond to the sun leading to the
Now here you have to understand the sentence. collecting and exposing should be done in sequence. Collecting it somewhere and exposing the place to sun.

(E) you start and collect some sea water in a pond, then exposing it to the sun leading to the
formation of brine, which is then drained into harvesting ponds from which
Here also start and collect has been given same priority. It changes the meaning what authors wants to convey.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
i doubt B is the correct question. As a matter of fact, during my POE, I eliminated ALL answer choices.

(A) you start by collecting some sea water in a pond and expose it to the sun leading to the
ing modifier - modifies the sun - illogical in this context.

(B) you start by collecting some sea water in a pond and exposing it to the sun leading to the
same error as in A.

(C) you start by collecting some sea water in a pond and expose it to the sun, which leads to
sun leads to the formation - NO. it is the exposure to the sun that leads to the formation of brine.

(D) you start by collecting and exposing some sea water in a pond to the sun leading to the
same error as in A and B.

(E) you start and collect some sea water in a pond, then exposing it to the sun leading to the
start and collect - kind of awkward here. + same error as in A, B, and D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi,

My answer is C. Is this correct?

I found the split between Where and which,Eliminating B,D,E

Between A and C,chose C because of parallelism.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
amolg wrote:
To make salt from sea water, you start by collecting some sea water in a pond and expose it to the sun leading to the formation of brine, which is then drained into harvesting ponds where sodium chloride or common salt finally crystallizes at the bottom of the ponds.

Hi VeritasKarishma EducationAisle , is the use of 'ing verbal' leading correct here? Shouldn't it be modifying the clause rather than the noun sun?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
amolg wrote:

Hi VeritasKarishma EducationAisle , is the use of 'ing verbal' leading correct here? Shouldn't it be modifying the clause rather than the noun sun?

Since it is not an official question, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

What I do know is that "collecting sea water in a pond" and "exposing it to the sun" must be parallel. Only option (B) does it correctly.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts