GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 15:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2018, 20:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:23) correct 31% (01:07) wrong based on 440 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a complex set of challenges, especially in countries that lack the bureaucratic infrastructure necessary for keeping records on every case of illness.

A) To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a complex set of challenges, especially in countries that lack the bureaucratic infrastructure necessary for keeping records on every case of illness.

B) In countries lacking the bureaucratic infrastructure to keep records on each and every case of illness, the monitoring of infectious diseases present a complex set of challenges to public health officials.

C) Monitoring infectious diseases presents a complex set of challenges to public health officials in countries where infrastructure are lacking the ability to keep records on every case of illness.

D) Presenting a complex set of challenges to public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases in countries lacking the infrastructure to keep records on every case of illness.

E) The monitoring of infectious diseases presents a complex set of challenges to public health officials in countries that lack the bureaucratic infrastructures necessary for keeping records on every case of illness.

Originally posted by goodyear2013 on 06 Apr 2014, 16:14.
Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Sep 2018, 20:52, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2014, 23:14
To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a complex set of challenges, especially in countries that lack the bureaucratic infrastructure necessary for keeping records on every case of illness.

In countries lacking the bureaucratic infrastructure to keep records on each and every case of illness, the monitoring of infectious diseases present a complex set of challenges to public health officials.

Monitoring infectious diseases presents a complex set of challenges to public health officials in countries where infrastructure are lacking the ability to keep records on every case of illness.

Presenting a complex set of challenges to public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases in countries lacking the infrastructure to keep records on every case of illness.

The monitoring of infectious diseases presents a complex set of challenges to public health officials in countries that lack the bureaucratic infrastructures necessary for keeping records on every case of illness.

"Monitoring" requires a singular verb. This rules out A and B.

In c, "where infrastructure are lacking ": infrastructure is singular. Should be "where infrastructure is lacking"

In D, it appears as "monitoring infectious diseases in countries" is problematic, Rather than " lack the bureaucratic infrastructures"

This leaves us with E.

Please give kudos! :)

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16
Re: To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2014, 23:37
All options except C and E have the wrong usage of "monitoring.....Present" (subject-verb) agreement.

C again can be eliminated as it uses infrastructure are, whereas in this case infrastructure is singular.

Hence E
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 15:12
goodyear2013 wrote:

I eliminated A because of the error - necessary for keeping - not good. Moreover, monitoring - is a single action, therefore, a verb in singular needs to be used.

A) To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a complex set of challenges, especially in countries that lack the bureaucratic infrastructure necessary for keeping records on every case of illness.

B) In countries lacking the bureaucratic infrastructure to keep records on each and every case of illness, the monitoring of infectious diseases present a complex set of challenges to public health officials.
same SV agreement error.

C) Monitoring infectious diseases presents a complex set of challenges to public health officials in countries where infrastructure are lacking the ability to keep records on every case of illness.
infrastructure is singular - are lacking is plural - SV agreement error.

D) Presenting a complex set of challenges to public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases in countries lacking the infrastructure to keep records on every case of illness.
if you notice, this option doesn't even have a verb - therefore, it is not even a sentence!

E) The monitoring of infectious diseases presents a complex set of challenges to public health officials in countries that lack the bureaucratic infrastructures necessary for keeping records on every case of illness.
expresses the idea clearly; errors in original sentence are removed. E is the answer!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: UCLA Anderson
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 18:03
goodyear2013 wrote:

A) "monitoring infectious diseases" : is singular hence verb should be presents
B)Same as A also "Each and Every" redundant
C)Infrastructure is singular should be is lacking
D)Not a valid sentence
E) <-- Correct answer
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 19:09
Hi ,

Though Option E is the best choice for this question, I doubt the usage of the plural form of infrastructure ( i.e infrastructures).
Is infrastructures a valid plural form?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 21:38
mvictor wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:

I eliminated A because of the error - necessary for keeping - not good. Moreover, monitoring - is a single action, therefore, a verb in singular needs to be used.

same SV agreement error.

infrastructure is singular - are lacking is plural - SV agreement error.

if you notice, this option doesn't even have a verb - therefore, it is not even a sentence!

expresses the idea clearly; errors in original sentence are removed. E is the answer!

If the SV agreement is rectified in option C, would that qualify it as a correct option?

Please correct me in case I'm wrong; consider giving kudos, otherwise.

Director
Director
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 07:17

- 'Monitoring' is the subject and is singular. Thus its verb must be singular i.e. presents.
- 'that' is the subject for the second clause and it clearly refers to 'countries'. It verb agrees in number (lack: plural verb form).

Option E is correct.

The monitoring of infectious diseases presents a complex set of challenges to public health officials in countries that lack the bureaucratic infrastructures necessary for keeping records on every case of illness.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 10:53
A) "monitoring " is singular hence verb should be singular too
B)Same as A
C)Infrastructure is singular, should be 'is lacking'
D)No verb !
E) Correct answer

Please give kudos if you like my post.Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 20:47

Monitoring - singular, present - plural ---> SV agreement error

Same as in A

Another sb agreement error. We need "infrastructures are lacking"

There is simply no clause in this case

Good
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 03:36
adityapareshshah wrote:
Hi ,

Though Option E is the best choice for this question, I doubt the usage of the plural form of infrastructure ( i.e infrastructures).

Can someone please answer this? 'infrastructures' sounds wrong
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 05:26
barbz91 wrote:
adityapareshshah wrote:
Hi ,

I agree - I have never seen infrastructure used in plural form
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 07:47
barbz91 wrote:
adityapareshshah wrote:
Hi ,

What makes "infrastructure" the special word? It seems to me that nothing.
And I have heard plural form already. And the most important - what other answer choice can we suggest here?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a &nbs [#permalink] 23 Oct 2018, 07:47

To public health officials, monitoring infectious diseases present a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap