Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618957 [11]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618957 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Schools: Wharton '25
WE:Information Technology (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: To small investors, deciding whether or not to purchase assets in the [#permalink]
Kudos
To small investors, deciding whether or not to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like a gamble.

A. To small investors, deciding whether or not to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like a gamble
Grammatically it is okay, but "or not" is unnecessary & wordy. Eliminate.

B. Deciding whether to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like gambling to a small investor
Retains the meaning of the original sentence, and the wordiness is not present in this choice. So, the right answer choice is B.

C. To small investors, it seems like it is a gamble to decide whether to purchase assets in the real estate market
"It is a gamble" can be replaced by just "a gamble" and made concise. Eliminate for wordiness.

D. For a small investor, the decision whether to purchase assets in the real estate market or not often seems like a gamble
Usage of "or not" looks okay grammatically here but not required when we try to make the sentence concise. Eliminate

But when used as a modifier then the usage of "or not" is required.
I'll go home whether or not you come. (will go - verb, note here "I'll go home" by itself a sentence, whether here is a modifier)

E. The deciding whether to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like a gamble to a small investor
"The deciding" usage here is incorrect as we cannot consider it is a noun, as there is already a noun, "Decision" whose usage will be grammatically appropriate here. We can modify a noun to use -ing verb form(like deciding). Eliminate
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GPA: 3.41
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: To small investors, deciding whether or not to purchase assets in the [#permalink]
Kudos
A. To small investors, deciding whether or not to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like a gamble
-> Redundancy

B. Deciding whether to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like gambling to a small investor
-> correct.

C. To small investors, it seems like it is a gamble to decide whether to purchase assets in the real estate market
-> ambiguous pronoun "it"
D. For a small investor, the decision whether to purchase assets in the real estate market or not often seems like a gamble
-> Redundancy

E. The deciding whether to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like a gamble to a small investor[/quote]
-> it should be "decision"

IMO: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
100mitra wrote:
Correct Option B

Flaw:
- wheter or not - Redundancy
- Small investor (Noun) and gamble (Noun), we need gambling as verb, and should be as near to each other in the sentence

B. Deciding whether to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like gambling to a small investor - Correct

Flaw
- Redundancy with usage of "It" & to decide_whether to
- Small investor (Noun) and gamble (Noun), we need gambling as verb, and should be as near to each other in the sentence

Flaw: Redundancy, with the decision, whether to, or not. (small investor, must be near to gamble)

E. The deciding whether to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like a gamble to a small investor
FLaw :
- Redundancy - the deciding, whether to

Is there any issue with usage of "can seem".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
thakurarun85 wrote:
100mitra wrote:
Correct Option B

Flaw:

B. Deciding whether to purchase assets in the real estate market can seem like gambling to a small investor - Correct

Flaw

Flaw: Redundancy, with the decision, whether to, or not. (small investor, must be near to gamble)

FLaw :

Bunuel
can you help me with this.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thakurarun85 wrote:
100mitra wrote:
Correct Option B

Flaw:

Flaw

FLaw :

Hello thakurarun85,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

There is nothing wrong with the use of "can seem" here; it is a perfectly grammatical phrase that conveys the correct and logical meaning - that it is possible for purchasing assets in the real estate market to seem like gambling.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
thakurarun85 wrote:
100mitra wrote:
Correct Option B

Flaw:

Flaw

FLaw :

Hello thakurarun85,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

There is nothing wrong with the use of "can seem" here; it is a perfectly grammatical phrase that conveys the correct and logical meaning - that it is possible for purchasing assets in the real estate market to seem like gambling.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Let me explain.

I think can and seem both do same job in this statement. I feel that if we keep only seem it suffice the purpose, making "can" redundant.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
thakurarun85 wrote:

Let me explain.

I think can and seem both do same job in this statement. I feel that if we keep only seem it suffice the purpose, making "can" redundant.

Hello thakurarun85,

We hope this finds you well. Thank you for this clarification.

To resolve your doubt, "can" is not redundant, as it and "seem" convey two separate meanings. "seem" is the main verb, and "can" conveys that the action of "seeming" is possible rather than certain. Further, without "can", we would have subject-verb disagreement between the singular subject "deciding" and the plural verb "seem".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts