GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

TOEFL - Prepared for a day - rocked the exam!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
TOEFL - Prepared for a day - rocked the exam!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Dec 2014, 19:42
Hi all,
Just wanted to share my experience with TOEFL :-D so here it goes :arrow:
Already late with my GMAT prep and struggling with applications with R2 deadlines just a few weeks away, i decided to take the TOEFL. The reason was simple - 1. I am a non-native and most colleges ask for it. 2. Getting a letter from college every time i was applying seemed too much of a pain.

I booked the slot on 5th December for 13th thinking that a week of prep would suffice. But the procrastinator i am :x didn't study or even look at the format till 11th. On 11th afternoon i opened up the TOEFL registration site & downloaded the sample free material provided there. There is a post on GMAT club, which was my only other resource apart from TOEFL Sampler -
http://gmatclub.com/forum/toefl-100-prepared-for-2-days-147099.html
Understood the basic format of the paper on 11th, applied for the 4 colleges and called it a day.

On 12th i started panicking. Finally thought, what the hell its TOEFL not the end of world. So, lets do it 8-) After going through the sample paper by TOEFL i knew being a non-native my biggest hurdles would be Speaking section (and to some bit the writing section too!!! :oops: )

So, i focused around 90% of my day on these 2 sections. Went through the videos given in the link above carefully. Carefully memorizing the format and taking notes. By 5 pm i was done with the speaking & writing section. Gave the TOEFL sampler to get a better idea. Mind you i had not practiced these 2 sections yet, just the format and strategy were in place. In the evening downloaded a 3-4 questions from speaking section and practiced once with a timer, mobile recorder etc :lol:

Finally before before going to sleep went through the entire TOEFL format and strategy twice, mentally making a note of what kind of questions, what is asked and what i will do.
Then repeated the entire process once again in the morning :!:

The paper went like a breeze, lots of time during reading section. Listening went fast, speaking section faster... Writing portion went well. And its done :P
Overall, i am having a good feeling about the paper 8-) keeping fingers crossed, hoping for the best and waiting for score :lol:

My suggestions for others -

1. Understand the format and prepare a mental strategy. Its more important than practicing 100's of questions without a plan of action.
2. Its a standardized test, there is a format to tackle each section, which actually guarantees highest scores for each section.
3. Go through the videos given in the link above, i guess it is from some TOEFL prep site notefull or something. It is really helpful and has a lot of tips. Follow it religiously.
4. Give sometime to speaking section, mine went okish but with 2-3 days of proper practice for say 30-40 mins, it could have gone a lot better. Lots of fillers in mine :cry:
5. If you have time left after Reading section, review!!! i was able to correct 3 questions.
6. Writing section - Write a lot! 450-500 words for max possible score.
7. Take something to eat during the break. It will boost you up for the next 2 hours.
8. At my center a lot of folks were speaking when i was writing and vice-versa. There is nothing you can do about it so don't let it bother you. Maybe keep your headphones up all the time. I wear specs so it was uncomfortable for me to wear it all the time.
9. Don't worry!!! Don't panic (even if your mic is unable to recognize your voice :lol: ) !!! It's just a test. Just keep your strategy in place :o you will rock it 8-)

Best of luck !!!

PS- i will update once i get the score :)

UPDATE - TOEFL 113 :) see below for breakup!

Originally posted by Rohit3110 on 14 Dec 2014, 05:25.
Last edited by Rohit3110 on 22 Dec 2014, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: TOEFL - Prepared for a day - rocked the exam!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2014, 07:44
Hi Rohit..
Your story is really impressive..before this i was thinking its preparation would take months an all..but now i think 1-2 week would be enough when we have prepared for GMAT.Thanks for sharing your experience :)

Well.. let us know about your result and current status.
Intern
Intern
Re: TOEFL - Prepared for a day - rocked the exam!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 19:41
Moment of truth - the gut feeling that i rocked the TOEFL translated well in results :)

Reading - 30
Listening - 30
Speaking - 24
Writing - 29
Total - 113

I am a happy + content man !
GMAT Club Bot
Re: TOEFL - Prepared for a day - rocked the exam!!!   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2014, 19:41

TOEFL - Prepared for a day - rocked the exam!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass