GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tom and Harry started running around a circular track of length 400 me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member
Tom and Harry started running around a circular track of length 400 me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 21:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:40) correct 50% (01:36) wrong based on 22 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tom and Harry started running around a circular track of length 400 meters at the same time from diametrically opposite points. Tom ran clockwise while Harry ran anti-clockwise. If they kept running continuously at their own uniform speeds till they met for the second time, after how much time did they meet for the second time?

(1) Ratio of speeds of Tom and Harry is 3:2.

(2) Tom is 50% faster than Harry.
RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Tom and Harry started running around a circular track of length 400 me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 23:51
To find how much time required by Tom and Harry to meet for the second time

Since Tom and Harry run in opposite directions and they start at diametrically opposite points, they together need to cover half the circular track = 200 meters to meet for the first time.

After the first meeting point, Tom and Harry will meet again after they together complete one full go around the circular track. Therefore Tom and Harry will meet for the second time after another 400 meters.

So we need to find the time taken by Tom and Harry to complete 600(400+200) meters together.

Statement 1

Ratio of speeds of Tom and Harry is 3:2. The speed of Tom and Harry can be

Speed of Tom | speed of Harry

30 mts/sec | 20 mts/sec
60 mts/sec | 40 mts/sec
90 mts/sec | 60 mts/sec

Since we don't have a definitive values for speed of Tom and Harry, we can't find a unique value for the time taken by Tom and Harry to complete 600 meters.

Statement 1 is not sufficient

Statement 2

Tom is 50% faster than Harry. The speed of Tom and Harry can be

Speed of Tom | speed of Harry

30 mts/sec | 20 mts/sec
60 mts/sec | 40 mts/sec
90 mts/sec | 60 mts/sec

Since we don't have a definitive values for speed of Tom and Harry, we can't find a unique value for the time taken by Tom and Harry to complete 600 meters.

Statement 2 is not sufficient

Statements 1 and 2 together and independently provide the same information and we still don't have a definite values for speeds of Tom and Harry

Statements 1 and 2 together are insufficient

Hence option E

If you like my post press kudos +1

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Tag me in RC questions if you need help. Please provide your analysis of the question in the post along with the tag.

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tom and Harry started running around a circular track of length 400 me  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 02:27
amanvermagmat wrote:
Tom and Harry started running around a circular track of length 400 meters at the same time from diametrically opposite points. Tom ran clockwise while Harry ran anti-clockwise. If they kept running continuously at their own uniform speeds till they met for the second time, after how much time did they meet for the second time?

(1) Ratio of speeds of Tom and Harry is 3:2.

(2) Tom is 50% faster than Harry.

1.DIstance = 400 meters
Ratio of speed = 3/2
relative speed = 3x+2x(since they are running in opposite direction)=5x
time taken to meet for the first time t1=200/5x=40/x (The distance is 200 because they are starting diametrically opposite )
second time t2=400/5x=80/x
total time = 80/x+40/x=120/x
insufficient.

2.Restates 1.
Insufficient
combining both we get only the ratio of their respective speeds .
Insufficient.

E
Re: Tom and Harry started running around a circular track of length 400 me &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jul 2018, 02:27

Tom and Harry started running around a circular track of length 400 me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap