Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:01 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33023 [19]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 367
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 1197
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33023 [2]
Send PM
Re: Top Trucks has two major custom lines: mud-truck improvements and low- [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Last spring, the company completed roughly 200 customizations. This fall, the company expects to complete 170 more customizations than were completed last spring. The company should complete 370 total customizations this fall. Mud-truck improvement sales will exceed lowrider packages this fall. If Top Trucks sold an equal number of the two types of customizations, it would sell 185 of each type. If more mud truck improvements are sold, the minimum number of mud-truck improvements would be 186.

If growth continues at its current rate, Top Trucks will sell 200 + 170 customizations this fall, or 370. It will sell 370 + 170 customizations next spring, or 540.

Answer: Mud-truck improvements this fall: 186
Total customizations next spring: 540
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33023 [0]
Send PM
Re: Top Trucks has two major custom lines: mud-truck improvements and low- [#permalink]
Expert Reply
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Where do we find the explanations for this question?

Here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/top-trucks-h ... l#p3274682
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 1197
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Where do we find the explanations for this question?

Here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/top-trucks-h ... l#p3274682

Thank you so much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I don't understand the second part of the question. As the previous season's sales are 200 and the fall's sales are 370, the growth rate is 185%. If this continues, the sales next spring will be 1.85 times 370, which is ~= 685.

Sajjad1994
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
Yes I have same doubt for 2nd part that is 85% increase at 370 shall be total customisation in next spring

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
if question states that it increases at same rate.
we should consider the increase by same percentage and not by same number. this is what i think. can somebody please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Send PM
Nikhilayug wrote:
I don't understand the second part of the question. As the previous season's sales are 200 and the fall's sales are 370, the growth rate is 185%. If this continues, the sales next spring will be 1.85 times 370, which is ~= 685.

Sajjad1994

I also have the same doubt , the growth rate is 85 percent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 4
Send PM
Same question as others have raised. Why should we not look at % increase as opposed to the absolute number?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Information Technology (Tech)
Send PM
Kudos
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

Last spring, the company completed roughly 200 customizations. This fall, the company expects to complete 170 more customizations than were completed last spring. The company should complete 370 total customizations this fall. Mud-truck improvement sales will exceed lowrider packages this fall. If Top Trucks sold an equal number of the two types of customizations, it would sell 185 of each type. If more mud truck improvements are sold, the minimum number of mud-truck improvements would be 186.

If growth continues at its current rate, Top Trucks will sell 200 + 170 customizations this fall, or 370. It will sell 370 + 170 customizations next spring, or 540.

Answer: Mud-truck improvements this fall: 186
Total customizations next spring: 540

Why is the current rate taken as a number while calculating it for the next spring? Is there a reason why we did not consider the growth rate (85%) in the calculations? For me, when I see the word rate in a question, I calculate the percentage change in the value. Can someone please explain this?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
kaizen1999 wrote:
Why is the current rate taken as a number while calculating it for the next spring? Is there a reason why we did not consider the growth rate (85%) in the calculations? For me, when I see the word rate in a question, I calculate the percentage change in the value. Can someone please explain this?

Your question is valid. The second part of the question is confusing; I have modified it. The word rate misled the calculation, and rightly so. It should read "current pattern" instead of current rate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I didnt understand how did we get 186
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Top Trucks has two major custom lines: mud-truck improvements and low- [#permalink]
Expert Reply
033 wrote:
I didnt understand how did we get 186

\(\frac{370}{2}+1\)

For detail.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/top-trucks-h ... l#p3274682
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
What is the level of this question?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bee22 wrote:
What is the level of this question?

I am not sure what you mean by level but if you are asking about the difficulty level; it is provided in the timer stats.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey, I have a question regarding question 2: What are the total customizations next spring? From last spring to this fall, the tenure covers last summer, last fall, last winter, and this spring. However, from this fall to next spring, it will only be roughly 0.5 years. Should the time be taken into consideration? Thus, total customizations next spring equal 200+170+(170/2)=455?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32039 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question seems to be a problematic one.

Firstly, it talks of two seasons only. What about summer and winter??
How can we find sales for a year on basis of these two seasons only.

Secondly, it confuses rate with same number. edited now.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92990 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11184 posts