GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 00:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

#Top150 CR: On a recent expedition to a remote region of northern

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 CR: On a recent expedition to a remote region of northern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 01:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (01:46) correct 75% (01:56) wrong based on 473 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On a recent expedition to a remote region of northern Canada, scientists uncovered skeletal remains from about 100,000 years ago. Surprisingly, all the skeletal remains, which included many species from differing biological families and spanned about two thousand years, showed evidence of experiencing temperatures in excess of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit (or 538 degrees Celsius).

Which of the following, if true, best explains the apparent paradox between the cold environment and the evidence of the bones experiencing hot temperatures?

A. Other scientific research released two years before the expedition showed that the remote region of northern Canada underwent considerable warming in the past 100,000 years.

B. Chemical changes that naturally occur during the process of decay in only one north Canadian species produce the same evidence of the species' skeletons being exposed to hot temperatures as the expedition scientists found.

C. A little over 103,000 years ago, a large fire is known to have occurred in northern Canada.

D. Strong evidence exists that as early as 70,000 years ago, Homo sapiens around the world relied heavily on fire to cook animals.

E. In the same expedition and in roughly the same layer of excavation, scientists found rudimentary wood cutting and hunting tools used by early humans.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 08:15
I got it wrong and naturally was shocked at the OA.
But then I looked carefully and found E, though little indirect, is the best choice among the 5 choices.

E. In the same expedition and in roughly the same layer of excavation, scientists found rudimentary wood cutting and hunting tools used by early humans.

This means, humans used to live in that region for an extensive period of time (atleast 2000 yrs) and they used to hunt and cook, using wood cutting and hunting tools, many species from different biological families. This choice directly talks about the same layer of excavation. No other choice has that merit.

The popular choice C is a clear trap. 2 reasons: A. We can't expect a fire to last for 2000 years. B. Even if the fire exists so long, can we expect the animals to keep on dying for ages? ;)

I originally answered B, which was definitely vague, but POE left me with that.

Pls suggest me if I am going wrong.

Thanks.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: On a recent expedition to a remote region of northern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 14:31
b9n920 wrote:
But then I looked carefully and found E, though little indirect, is the best choice among the 5 choices.

This means, humans used to live in that region for an extensive period of time (atleast 2000 yrs) and they used to hunt and cook, using wood cutting and hunting tools, many species from different biological families. This choice directly talks about the same layer of excavation. No other choice has that merit.

The popular choice C is a clear trap. 2 reasons: A. We can't expect a fire to last for 2000 years. B. Even if the fire exists so long, can we expect the animals to keep on dying for ages? ;)

Thanks.

That's what I got too for the same reason, but I don't think this is a great question (again, with the "other" source). We have no evidence from E that wood cutting tools were being used to build a fire. Maybe they used it to make spears? Maybe they used it to get bugs out of nests? The ONLY reason I picked E is all the other ones were clearly wrong.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: XLRI (A)
GPA: 2.83
Re: #Top150 CR: On a recent expedition to a remote region of northern  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 05:52
b9n920 wrote:

Thanks.

Did they actually use Fire?????Many species from different biological families, Wood, Hunting tools were all found in same place.....but that doesnt cover that they ate those animal after cooking in fire....who knows they ate those animals raw (back those days)...
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 08:44
Quote:
1000 degrees Fahrenheit (or 538 degrees Celsius)

we know nothing about the tools found, and even so, can meat reach that temperature while being cooked on fire for eating...?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2018, 00:59
On a recent expedition to a remote region of northern Canada, scientists uncovered skeletal remains from about 100,000 years ago. Surprisingly, all the skeletal remains, which included many species from differing biological families and spanned about two thousand years, showed evidence of experiencing temperatures in excess of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit (or 538 degrees Celsius).

Which of the following, if true, best explains the apparent paradox between the cold environment and the evidence of the bones experiencing hot temperatures?

A. Other scientific research released two years before the expedition showed that the remote region of northern Canada underwent considerable warming in the past 100,000 years. "Warming" does not explain high temperatures as the reason for the extinction of the species. Incorrect.

B. Chemical changes that naturally occur during the process of decay in only one north Canadian species produce the same evidence of the species' skeletons being exposed to hot temperatures as the expedition scientists found. The process of decay in "one" species can not be extrapolated to explain the reason of "all" skeletons of "many" species. Keywords here to focus-"all" & "many". Incorrect.

C. A little over 103,000 years ago, a large fire is known to have occurred in northern Canada. Cannot be used to explain the skeletons of species "spanning about two thousand years". Fire=103,000 years ago; skeleton of species=100,000 +/- 2000 years ago. The puzzle still has missing piece. Incorrect.

D. Strong evidence exists that as early as 70,000 years ago, Homo sapiens around the world relied heavily on fire to cook animals. We are not looking at 70,000 years ago. Incorrect.

E. In the same expedition and in roughly the same layer of excavation, scientists found rudimentary wood cutting and hunting tools used by early humans. Okay, so this means they needed wood and they were hunters. Can explain why "many" species showed evidence of high temperatures. Again, we wanted information about "many" species, not "all" species. Fits the bill. Correct.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 20:28
How E is correct? Wood Cutting and hunting tools doesn't talk about bones experiencing hot temperatures. That is too much of outside knowledge. Can you explain reasoning behind this answer to the question? Do we see questions like these in actual GMAT?

GMATNinja Adi93 PPhoenix77

Please press +1 Kudos if you find my post/reply helpful

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 20:43
I thinks its E because according to E, humans used to live in that region for an extensive period of time (atleast 2000 yrs) and they used to hunt and cook, using wood cutting and hunting tools, many species from different biological families. This choice directly talks about the same layer of excavation and resolves the paradox between the cold environment and the evidence of the bones experiencing hot temperatures.

+1 if this helps!

Gmat800Champ wrote:
How E is correct? Wood Cutting and hunting tools doesn't talk about bones experiencing hot temperatures. That is too much of outside knowledge. Can you explain reasoning behind this answer to the question? Do we see questions like these in actual GMAT?

GMATNinja Adi93 PPhoenix77

Regards,
Adi

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 20:56
scientists found rudimentary wood cutting and hunting tools used by early humans.

It only says about wood cutting and hunting tools. Maybe they dint knew about fire then? Did they know wood can be used to make fire for cooking?
Maybe they were still eating raw food. No where it is mentioned they were generating heat here. That's too much outside knowledge.
Please suggest.

[quote="Adi93"]I thinks its E because according to E, humans used to live in that region for an extensive period of time (atleast 2000 yrs) and they used to hunt and cook, using wood cutting and hunting tools, many species from different biological families. This choice directly talks about the same layer of excavation and resolves the paradox between the cold environment and the evidence of the bones experiencing hot temperatures.

+1 if this helps!

[quote="Gmat800Champ"]How E is correct? Wood Cutting and hunting tools doesn't talk about bones experiencing hot temperatures. That is too much of outside knowledge. Can you explain reasoning behind this answer to the question? Do we see questions like these in actual GMAT?

Please press +1 Kudos if you find my post/reply helpful

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 21:14
According to power score CR we are allowed to bring outside the stimulus info in Resolve the paradox and Weaken questions(hurt category).

IMHO, in this case the wood cutting and hunting tools is referring to cooking of food by hunting animals and ultimately linking to generation of heat.
That's why E holds good

+1 if this helps!

Gmat800Champ wrote:
scientists found rudimentary wood cutting and hunting tools used by early humans.

It only says about wood cutting and hunting tools. Maybe they dint knew about fire then? Did they know wood can be used to make fire for cooking?
Maybe they were still eating raw food. No where it is mentioned they were generating heat here. That's too much outside knowledge.
Please suggest.

Adi93 wrote:
I thinks its E because according to E, humans used to live in that region for an extensive period of time (atleast 2000 yrs) and they used to hunt and cook, using wood cutting and hunting tools, many species from different biological families. This choice directly talks about the same layer of excavation and resolves the paradox between the cold environment and the evidence of the bones experiencing hot temperatures.

+1 if this helps!

Gmat800Champ wrote:

Regards,
Adi

Intern
Intern
S
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 20:40
In my opinion, E is far to infer (human used wood cutting and hunting tools -> used fire to cook -> animals' bones exp temperature
Re: #Top150 CR: On a recent expedition to a remote region of northern &nbs [#permalink] 06 May 2018, 20:40

#Top150 CR: On a recent expedition to a remote region of northern

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap