Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 12:53 It is currently 08 May 2024, 12:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9267 [6]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622232 [4]
Given Kudos: 81800
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Re: Need help with quant timing strategy to attempt first 10 qs [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
There's long been some bad advice floating around GMAT prep circles about the importance of spending time on the first ten questions. What matters is not where a question appears in the test - what matters is how hard or easy the question is. You don't want mistakes on easier questions, because those hurt you a lot. Mistakes on hard questions don't hurt you much - in fact, if you're aiming for a Q47, you're not supposed to get your Q50-level questions right (if you could do that, you'd be a Q50 level test taker!). In fact,......

Good luck!

Thank you so much. I shall try this strategy on my next test :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
There's long been some bad advice floating around GMAT prep circles about the importance of spending time on the first ten questions. What matters is not where a question appears in the test - what matters is how hard or easy the question is. You don't want mistakes on easier questions, because those hurt you a lot. Mistakes on hard questions don't hurt you much - in fact, if you're aiming for a Q47, you're not supposed to get your Q50-level questions right (if you could do that, you'd be a Q50 level test taker!). In fact, if you are encountering questions that are so hard you need to guess at them, you should take that as a good sign, not a bad sign - it usually means you've done well on all the easy and medium questions, and the test thinks you're a very high level test taker.

The only reason the early questions can be more important is that the earliest questions are more likely to be easy than later ones, if you're an above-average test taker. But the test can actually start at quite a hard level sometimes, and if you do well on the first couple of questions, you can get to hard questions quickly. When deciding whether to invest time in a question, you should not be basing that decision on where you are in the test. You should base that decision on whether investing further time will lead you to a good answer. So no matter where you are in the test, about a minute into each question you should be asking "if I spend more time on this, will I get an answer?". If so, spend the time, even if it's going to take three or three and a half minutes. But if you don't see a path to a solution, nor a useful fallback strategy (e.g. estimation to rule out bad answers), take a guess and move on -- if you can't solve the problem, it's almost certainly a hard problem, and you're not hurting yourself much by guessing. You'd be hurting yourself more by consuming a further 2+ minutes, since that will obligate you to guess at a random question somewhere else, a question you could probably answer.

So this is what I'd suggest: take a realistic diagnostic test (only GMATPrep is realistic) where you use a new pacing strategy. Forget about "the first ten questions" and instead invest time where time will be useful, and save time where spending time will not obviously be useful. Be sure to be disciplined about making those decisions - it's easy to get stubborn about questions, since most GMAT questions look solvable at first glance. If you do that on a realistic diagnostic test, your score will tell you if this pacing strategy is better or worse than the strategy you've been using until now.

Good luck!

Thank you very much.I very much agree with your analysis.
I think that many online test prep companies have floated this myth of doing very well on the first ten questions.
May be it were true long time ago when algorithms and analytics were still catching up with human ingenuity.
I think that we must not base our preparations on guessing how the algorithm works .This strategy is futile as it leads to wastage of precious time in first few questions.

Thanks again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
There's long been some bad advice floating around GMAT prep circles about the importance of spending time on the first ten questions. What matters is not where a question appears in the test - what matters is how hard or easy the question is. You don't want mistakes on easier questions, because those hurt you a lot. Mistakes on hard questions don't hurt you much - in fact, if you're aiming for a Q47, you're not supposed to get your Q50-level questions right (if you could do that, you'd be a Q50 level test taker!). In fact, if you are encountering questions that are so hard you need to guess......

Good luck!

IanStewart, Thanks for the tip. I just gave my GMAT Prep mock yesterday and investing more time on questions I was confident of answering correctly, rather than on the 1st and last 10 questions, really helped my overall score. In quant I got 14 incorrect answers, which included 8 questions from the 1st and last 10 set (questions 1, 4, 5, 6, 30, 25, 36, 37). In spite of this I managed a Q47.

Just hope that this isn't an anomaly :p
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I needed some advice on one more thing.

My exam date is the 31st of this month.
So far I have given 3 mock CATs, all 3 GMAT Prep software mocks.

Exam 1, a month ago, - Q 44, V 32, total 630
Exam 2, 2 weeks ago, - Q 45, V 35, total 660
Exam 3, yesterday, - - Q 47, V 39, total 700

Now that I have 3 weeks left, how many more mocks do you think I should take?
I have 1 exam from the official pack left. Though I am ok with taking mocks from other sources, like MGMAT, Veritas, or Kaplan, as per my past experience, I am usually left demotivated with these scores as they tend to be at least 30-40 points lower than my G-Prep scores.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Need help with quant timing strategy to attempt first 10 qs [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I am no longer active in this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 11 Jul 2017, 08:16.
Last edited by dabral on 18 Aug 2023, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93097 posts