Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [24]
Given Kudos: 489
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [10]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [8]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Drama Critic : There were many interesting plays written last year [#permalink]
Imo clear E. Please share OA.

Stay Hungry Stay Foolish
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Drama Critic : There were many interesting plays written last year [#permalink]
Raksat wrote:
Drama Critic : There were many interesting plays written last year. Surely some will gain widespread popularity for at-least a few years, and some will even receive high critical acclaim, but none will be popular several centuries from now.The only plays that continued to be performed regularly over many decades and centuries are those that skillfully explore human nature, and none of the plays written last year examine human nature in a particularly skillful way.

The argument relies on assuming which one of the following ?

A. No play will be popular several centuries from now unless it continues to be performed regularly during the intervening time.
B. For a play to deserve high critical acclaim it must be popular for more than just a few years.
C. There were no plays written last year that drama critic has neither read nor seen nor performed.
D. If a play does not skillfully explore human nature, it will not receive critical acclaim.
E. Any play that skillfully examines human nature will be performed regularly over the centuries.

LSAT

1. The simple ones. B and D are out because they are out of scope. We are not interested in critic's evaluation.
We have to evaluate the argument with the main part: but none will be popular several centuries from now

2. C. Sounds not bad. Critic could miss some plays and there is a chance they can become popular. But something sounds wrong.
Yes, it evaluates the bolded part of our argument, but only the bolded part.

3. E. Sounds not bad too. It is given explicitly in the argument that only "skillful nature plays" continue to be performed. But no word that any such play continues to be performed.

4. A. It was hard to me. But A seemed the best choice.
but none will be popular several centuries from now. ----------> The only plays that continued to be performed regularly over many decades and centuries.
It is the only one answer that makes a connection between 2 parts of critic's argument. It was no said explicitly in the argument.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Drama Critic : There were many interesting plays written last year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thanks for your replies!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Kudos
gmatexam439

According to you,what is the conclusion of this argument?
And how does Á help us in reaching this conclusion. I chose C for this as if the person has not seen all the plays he cannot make a general statement.
Please clarify.

Thanks,

ucb2k7
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Send PM
ucb2k7 wrote:
gmatexam439

According to you,what is the conclusion of this argument?
And how does Á help us in reaching this conclusion. I chose C for this as if the person has not seen all the plays he cannot make a general statement.
Please clarify.

Thanks,

ucb2k7

Hi ucb2k7,
Please go through the below link. I have highlighted the conclusion and put my analysis in detail there.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/drama-critic ... l#p2007382

Hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello Experts,

Please explain how A bridges the gap between the conclusion and facts. I am inclined towards C. How is C incorrect?
Thank you.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Drama Critic : There were many interesting plays written last year [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Can you please explain how do you eliminate (E) in light of your youtube sessions.
I was stuck up with multiple negations here:
1.NO play that skillfully examines human nature will be performed regularly over the centuries.
2. Any play that skillfully examines human nature will be NOT performed regularly over the centuries.
You said: Think of answer option a type of strengthener choice which HAS to be true.
Here, do I not even need to go to that extent since conclusion is about popularity and not regular performance? In case of doubt for an answer choice if negation is tough, how do I eliminate it?
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Can you please explain how do you eliminate (E) in light of your youtube sessions.
I was stuck up with multiple negations here:
1.NO play that skillfully examines human nature will be performed regularly over the centuries.
2. Any play that skillfully examines human nature will be NOT performed regularly over the centuries.
You said: Think of answer option a type of strengthener choice which HAS to be true.
Here, do I not even need to go to that extent since conclusion is about popularity and not regular performance? In case of doubt for an answer choice if negation is tough, how do I eliminate it?

Hi adkikani,

My 2 cents: Earlier I also used to use the negation method - strictly. But, there are various disadvantages of using this method, major being ignorance of logic. While the negation method is handy, keep it as a last resort.

Coming back to the question at hand; Option E is straightaway illogical because it doesn't target the conclusion. The conclusion is about popularity and not about a play being performed for centuries; so either of your negations don't impact the conclusion.

Plus, this choice is exaggerated choice, since the argument is about a specific set of plays while this option talks about "Any" play -- all the plays.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
E connects skilfulness and playing for centuries

Sent from my SM-J710FN using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [1]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM