Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:46 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19754 [93]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1553 [17]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [5]
Given Kudos: 565
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [2]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Each of the five divisions of a certain company sent representatives [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatt1476 wrote:
Each of the five divisions of a certain company sent representatives to a conference. If the numbers of representatives sent by four of the divisions were 3, 4, 5, and 5, was the range of the numbers of representatives sent by the five divisions greater than 2 ?

(1) The median of the numbers of representatives sent by the five divisions was greater than the average (arithmetic mean) of these numbers.
(2) The median of the numbers of representatives sent by the five divisions was 4.

Given set of values {3,4,5,5} & Let F be the fifth value
Range for the given set of four values = 2

(1) The median of the numbers of representatives sent by the five divisions was greater than the average (arithmetic mean) of these numbers.

case#1: F=2
New Set ={2,3,4,5,5}
Median = 4
Mean = 19/5 = 3.8 < Median
Range = 5-2 = 3
New Range > 2 --> YES

case#2: F=5
New Set = {3,4,5,5,5}
Median = 5
Mean = 22/5 = 4.4 < Median
Range = 5-3 = 2
New Range > 2 --> NO
Hence statement (1) is not sufficient.

(2) The median of the numbers of representatives sent by the five divisions was 4.
case#3: F=1
New Set = {1,3,4,5,5}
Median = 4
Range = 5-1 = 4
Mean = 18/5 = 3.6 < Median
New Range > 2 --> YES

case#4: F=4
New Set ={3,4,4,5,5}
Median = 4
Range = 5-3 = 2
Mean = 21/5 = 4.2 > Median
New Range > 2 --> NO
Hence statement (2) is not sufficient.

Combining (1) & (2)
Only case #1 & #3 are valid. Sufficient!

In general, if the distribution of data is skewed to the left, the mean is less than the median.
Based on this fact, number picking can be done to build cases appropriately.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [3]
Given Kudos: 242
Send PM
Each of the five divisions of a certain company sent representatives [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Each of the five divisions of a certain company sent representatives to a conference. If the numbers of representatives sent by four of the divisions were 3, 4, 5, and 5, was the range of the numbers of representatives sent by the five divisions greater than 2 ?

-> If we find the number of representatives sent by fifth division, we can answer yes or no.
-> Let the number of representatives sent by fifth division is \(x\).
-> \(0<x<n\), \(x=integer\)

-> When \(x=1\), this statement stands true. Also when \(x=5\), this statement stands true.
-> However, then the rage is greater than 2 when \(x=1\) and less than 2 when \(x=5\).
-> Insufficient

-> \(x\) can be 1, 2, 3, and 4. Thus the rage differs too.
-> Insufficient

(1)&(2) The average (arithmetic mean) of these numbers is less than 4, which is the median of the numbers of representatives sent by the five divisions.

-> \(avg<4\)
-> \(\frac{x+3+4+5+5}{5}<4\)
-> \(x<3\)
-> Therefore the range is greater than 2. -> Sufficient

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64945 [4]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: Each of the five divisions of a certain company sent representatives [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:

DS06110.01

List: 3, 4, 5, 5
Add another number x, which could be any integer from 1 onwards i.e. 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8....

Statement 1: Median > Mean
Median of the 5 number list can be 4 or 5 only

If median = 4, x is 1 or 2 to give mean < median. If x is 1 or 2, range is greater than 2. Here, x cannot be 3 or more than 3 because then mean is equal or greater than median.
If median = 5, x is 5 or 6 or 7. If x = 5, mean < median and range is 2. If x = 6 or 7, mean < median and range > 2.
Not sufficient .

Statement 2: Median = 4
i.e. 4 is the 3rd value. So x can be 1/2/3/4.
If x is 1 or 2, range is greater than 2.
If x is 3 or 4, range is 2.
Not sufficient.

Using both together, we know that median is 4 so x is 1 or 2 only. Hence range is certainly more than 2.
Sufficient.

Answer (C)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Each of the five divisions of a certain company sent representatives [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

DS06110.01

Add another number x, which could be any integer from 1 onwards i.e. 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8....

If median = 4, x is 1 or 2 to give mean < median. If x is 1 or 2, range is greater than 2. Here, x cannot be 3 or more than 3 because then mean is equal or greater than median.
If median = 5, x is 5 or 6 or 7. If x = 5, mean < median and range is 2. If x = 6 or 7, mean < median and range > 2.
Not sufficient .

Not sufficient.

Using both together, we know that median is 4 so x is 1 or 2 only. Hence range is certainly more than 2.
Sufficient.

Answer (C)

Hi KarishmaB! I did not understand your analysis of statement 1. How do you know that the possible median values for the list are only 4 or 5? Thank you! :please:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64945 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Will2020 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

DS06110.01

Not sufficient .

Not sufficient.

Sufficient.

Answer (C)

Hi KarishmaB! I did not understand your analysis of statement 1. How do you know that the possible median values for the list are only 4 or 5? Thank you! :please:

The list with the 4 numbers is 3, 4, 5, 5.
If I add one more integer to it, the median will be the 3rd number in the list when all numbers are arranged in ascending order.

x can be such that the current 2nd element becomes 3rd element. e.g. 1, 3, 4, 5, 5 (median 4)
x can be such that the current 4th element becomes 3rd element. e.g. 3, 4, 5, 5, 6 (median 5)
x can be such that it itself is the 3rd elements i.e. 3, 4, x, 5, 5. Now since x is an integer, and there is no integer between 4 and 5, x must be either 4 or 5. In either case, median will be 4 or 5.

Hence, median must be 4 or 5.

So do this simply, just visualise them on a number line. Where can I place x and how will the rest of the number shift? Also, any number can shift by only one rank so 2nd can become 3rd or 4th can become 3rd at the most. 1st number cannot become the 3rd number.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

DS06110.01

Not sufficient .

Not sufficient.

Sufficient.

Answer (C)

KarishmaB - I just have one question. Why in statement 2 the fifth number (x) <=4? It is an a sequence with odd number of terms. Should x not be qual to 4? I am sorry, not sure what I am missing. :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64945 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Engineer1 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

DS06110.01

Not sufficient .

Not sufficient.

Sufficient.

Answer (C)

KarishmaB - I just have one question. Why in statement 2 the fifth number (x) <=4? It is an a sequence with odd number of terms. Should x not be qual to 4? I am sorry, not sure what I am missing. :)

The given numbers are 3, 4, 5, 5
One more number (say x) is added to this list and their median becomes 4. This means that the third number in the list in increasing order is certainly 4. We already have a 4 in the list so that could be the median. So the new number can be 4 or less than 4 too.
The value of x could be 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

1, 3, 4, 5, 5 - Median = 4, x = 1
2, 3, 4, 5, 5 - Median = 4, x = 2
3, 3, 4, 5, 5 - Median = 4, x = 3
3, 4, 4, 5, 5 - Median = 4, x = 4
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92952 posts