Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1498 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Total contributions by individuals to political parties were [#permalink]
Even if some people are interested in politics, they might not particiapte in voting and so at that time, how can you justify E?
I thought that it was specified about the monetary donations in the first sentence and anything related to that concept could be correct.
any other ideas??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Ok let's do it by POE.

(A) The average contribution per individual actually declined during the same four year period.
This only means more people have contributed, which strengthens the conclusion that people are more interested.

(B) Per capita income of the population increased by 15 percent during the four years in question.
This would be the best answer, in my opinion, if the number is 25 or more. Since it would indicate that the increase in political contribution is only comparable to the increase in people's income. However since 15<25, it still follows people must be more interested than before.

(C) Public leaders continue to warn citizens against the dangers of political apathy.
That says nothing about if people are more interested.

(D) Contributions made by large corporations to political parties declined during the four-year period.
This again strengthens the conclusion. If corporation contribution declined while total contribution increases, that must mean more contribution from people, thus more people interested in politics.

(E) Fewer people voted in the most recent presidential election than in the one four years earlier.
Voting is another important indicator of people's interests in politics. This fact presents an counter argument to the author's argument and thus weaken the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
A.

Average contribution declined means only few wealthy fat cats are rolling in dough for their special interest while majority didn't care to dig into their pockets.

What's the OA?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I will go with (E). as for (A) Total contributions increased by 25% but avg contribution per person has decreased according to (A), which implies that number of people who contributed has increased ...which will actually strengthen the argument above. The choice (E) though itself weak definitly weaken the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
OA is (E)
What about (A)? (A) means people actually put in less money, but the total is higher b/c of the incease in population??
(C) is flawed when we talk about the change in population also b/c fewer people voted is due to a decrease in population. What if the percentage of voters is still high?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
qhoc0010 wrote:
OA is (E)
What about (A)? (A) means people actually put in less money, but the total is higher b/c of the incease in population??
(C) is flawed when we talk about the change in population also b/c fewer people voted is due to a decrease in population. What if the percentage of voters is still high?

But A doesn't mention anything about population or are we suppose to assume population increased?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4449 [0]
Send PM
qhoc0010 wrote:
Total contributions by individuals to political parties were up 25 percent in this most recent presidential election over those of four years earlier. Hence,

it is obvious that people are no longer as apathetic as they were, but are taking a greater interest in politics.

Which of the following, if true, would considerably weaken the preceding argument?
(A) The average contribution per individual actually declined during the same four year period.
(B) Per capita income of the population increased by 15 percent during the four years in question.
(C) Public leaders continue to warn citizens against the dangers of political apathy.
(D) Contributions made by large corporations to political parties declined during the four-year period.
(E) Fewer people voted in the most recent presidential election than in the one four years earlier.

It seems a little hard to me.
In the passage, the increase in total contributions made by individuals
and the decrease in the average contribution mean the number of population must increase. And increase in the population just weaken the argument; that is, the reason is not because of greater interest in politics but because of increase in population. doesn't weaken?

To me, E is out of scope. The vote rate doesn't necessarily mean people's attitude toward politics, it probably is weather factor which influences the vote rate.

Could anybody give me some help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I agree with you on this one.
The premise makes a connection between "contribution" (or $$) and "interest in politics". Now, for a GMAT common sense, in order to weaken the argument, we must break this connection.
(E) says "fewer people voted", which I don't think that it has anything to do with $$. I mean "What if the population decreases?"
Intern
Intern
Send PM
We need not break the connection. But, if we can negate the assumption then also we can weaken the argument, this is what I believe is happening in (E).

By an increase in total of 25% the author indicates awareness in more people which also means that he assumes that it is because of more people contributing (and not because more contri per person).

Statement (E) just states that no of people Dec. i.e. it negates the assumption .... do I make any sense to anybody ???
Director
Director
Send PM
Hello,

Who could tell me why A is wrong?

:cry:
Director
Director
Send PM
thanks, I've understand why choice A is wrong.

The increase in the number of population who made contribution means people are more and more interested in politics.

So, strengthen the argument.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts