Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [4]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [0]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Traffic Cop: Most people in this city assume that drivers who speed [#permalink]
The conclusion states that though speeding drivers cause more graphic accidents, crawling drivers are responsible for more accidents.

Options B, D & E oppose the conclusion. Option C is out of scope.

Only option A supports the conclusion and hence should be the correct choice.

Regards

Argha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
Send PM
Re: Traffic Cop: Most people in this city assume that drivers who speed [#permalink]
Kudos
It's a resolve a paradox type question.

People have a perception that drivers who drive at high speed cause more accidents BUT as per facts given by the police drivers who drive at slow speeds are responsible for higher accidents.

using POE..

B We are not concerned about the fatality of accidents. Out Of Context
C Preferences of people will not resolve the paradox . Out Of Scope
D Opposes the fact we are trying to prove. Opposite
E Does not resolve both parts of the paradox

we are left with A , which resolves our issue that drivers who drive slowly entice other drivers who overtake them which may lead to more accidents. Though , drivers who 'crawl' are not directly involved in the accidents , they are a major cause .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
I believe that this question is controversial. The word "responsible" in the last sentence of the stem can generate two interpretations leading to different answer choices:

First read: "drivers who crawl are responsible" meaning that these drivers take an act to cause accidents (e.g.: excite other drivers to drive recklessly). This leads to answer choice A

Second read: "drivers who crawl are responsible" meaning that these drivers, themselves, account for a larger proportion of overall accidents. Then, the only way for the population in the city to assume that drivers who speed account for more accidents (when actually don't) is to prove that they cause more fatal accidents. This would explain why the population thinks the speed drivers are more likely to cause the accidents. This leads to answer choice B.

I'm curious to have my eyes on the official explanation.

akhil911 wrote:
Traffic Cop: Most people in this city assume that drivers who speed are more likely to cause accidents than are drivers who “crawl,” or consistently drive ten or more miles below the speed limit. But while accidents involving speeding drivers tend to be more graphic and thus more prone to becoming fixed in the public memory, drivers who crawl are actually responsible for far more traffic accidents throughout the city.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the unexpected result given above?

A. Drivers who “crawl” are more likely to excite other drivers to drive recklessly in attempts to get around them.
B. Drivers who speed cause more fatal accidents than do drivers who “crawl.”
C. Most people in the city dislike drivers who speed.
D. Drivers who “crawl” tend to drive safer cars than drivers who speed.
E. Drivers who speed are unlikely to obey posted traffic signs.

I came across this question in one of the practice tests i was doing and will post the answer given there later.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Why can't C be the answer. The unexpected result is : People assume that drivers who speed cause more accidents but actually drivers who crawl cause more accidents.

C says "Most people in the city dislike drivers who speed." this clearly provides a reason for the unexpected result above.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20724 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Traffic Cop: Most people in this city assume that drivers who speed [#permalink]
akhil911 wrote:
Traffic Cop: Most people in this city assume that drivers who speed are more likely to cause accidents than are drivers who “crawl,” or consistently drive ten or more miles below the speed limit. But while accidents involving speeding drivers tend to be more graphic and thus more prone to becoming fixed in the public memory, drivers who crawl are actually responsible for far more traffic accidents throughout the city.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the unexpected result given above?

(A) Drivers who “crawl” are more likely to excite other drivers to drive recklessly in attempts to get around them.
(B) Drivers who speed cause more fatal accidents than do drivers who “crawl.”
(C) Most people in the city dislike drivers who speed.
(D) Drivers who “crawl” tend to drive safer cars than drivers who speed.
(E) Drivers who speed are unlikely to obey posted traffic signs.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Solution: A

In this Explain the Paradox question, find an answer choice that explains how drivers who go slow could be responsible for more accidents than drivers who go fast. Answer choice (A) proposes that slow drivers incite recklessness in others, behavior that might lead to accidents, making (A) a potential explanation and a strong possible answer. None of the other choices explain how slow drivers could cause more accidents than fast drivers, so the partial explanation in (A) is the best answer choice; this is often the case in Explain questions.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts