It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 07:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Re: Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 07:57
mojorising800 wrote:
mojorising800 wrote:
aniec wrote:
Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their living by gathering, organizing, and dispensing information about travel-related services that is not readily available to most consumers through new information technologies, such as the internet much of this information can now be made directly available to consumers. Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. Travel agents routinely use the internet and other new information technologies as sources for the information they obtain for their customers. Irrelevant

B. The amount of information available through the internet and other new information technologies is increasing
faster than the capabilities of most consumers to process itthis strengthens the argument since travel agents will be required if the consumers cannot thmselves process the information.

C. Many people use travel-related services, such as airlines and hotels without consulting a travel agent. Irrelevant.The question is not how they consumers travel but whther they use they use the services of the travel agents or not.

D. The people who currently use the services of travel agents are also those most likely to gain access to new
information technologiesIncorrect. Strengthens the argument

E. The internet and other new information technologies are currently used by a relatively small proportion of the
populationCorrect.If the number of people who use internet and other new information technologies are lesser in proportion to the population then travel agents do not face a risk of being out of demand!!!

E..OA plz

oops!!i misread the option D.Thanks for correcting chetan2u

How does D strengthen the argument?
Despite the fact ppl have access to new technology, ppl use travel agents means that the demand of travel agents will not reduce .
Confused between B and D.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 41

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 07:41
The question is tricky if you slip up on the rules of CR.

The correct answer is B

Premise 1) Travel agent livelihood is gathering, organising, distributing (off course on demand and after getting paid) information related to tourism.
Premise 2) Such info was earlier not available to common customers.
Premise 3) Now internet will make such information available to all people.
Conclusion)Travel agents will be outdated.

Weaken the conclusion) :- Remember premise 1 :- Its the full time work of travel agent to deal with travel info , organise it and distribute it and All such info is not available to any normal person; meaning travel agents are accustomed in dealing with such kind of information (be it rare or voluminous or difficult to understand)

What if despite the availability of such information on internet normal people can't understand it , or cannot process it or cannot handle the amount of such volume which is very large. Then despite being available the information is practically useless for a common man. If they cannot process it, they cannot use it. If they cannot use it they will need help. Who will come to help. A person who is a master is dealing with such information. Who is that person- the travel agent. He is not going to become obsolete soon my friend :)

B. The amount of information available through the internet and other new information technologies is increasing
faster than the capabilities of most consumers to process it

Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their living by gathering, organizing, and dispensing information about travel-related services that is not readily available to most consumers. Through new information technologies, such as the internet much of this information can now be made directly available to consumers. Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced

A. Travel agents routinely use the internet and other new information technologies as sources for the information they obtain for their customers.

C. Many people use travel-related services, such as airlines and hotels without consulting a travel agent.

D. The people who currently use the services of travel agents are also those most likely to gain access to new
information technologies

E. The internet and other new information technologies are currently used by a relatively small proportion of the
population

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 13 Aug 2016, 07:23, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 08:00
choose B.

this choice was my prethinking after i read the argument w/o reading answer choices

my prethinking-that if internet is available to all but what if consumers are not able to find or it is out of their capability or not in their scope.
may give them tension searching and all.some to avoid tension for couple of dollars

And when i read B i quickly marked it ,but read all other choices for 2nd opinion.

none weakened as much as B did.

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 03:59
Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their living by gathering, organizing, and dispensing information about travel-related services that is not readily available to most consumers. Through new information technologies, such as the internet much of this information can now be made directly available to consumers. Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced

Demand for the service of travel agent will not drastically reduced when these factors are in play
1> Convenience and time saving
2> Information overload leading to confusion so need help from Travel agent
3> Even information is available, consumer doesn't know that how to do booking and other stuff
4> what if corporate hires travel agent more
5> Some rural sector grow

Correct.

information technologies :- I feel this is strengthener.

population

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Chat Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 11:47
Boils down to B and E.

E - what if the reduced population is the only one using the services offered by travel agent. So now they can access it and won't need a TA.

B - the information obtained is much more than what customers can process and would still need a TA to guide them. Hence weakens.

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 03:47
[/quote]How does D strengthen the argument?
Despite the fact ppl have access to new technology, ppl use travel agents means that the demand of travel agents will not reduce .
Confused between B and D.[/quote]

I was confused between B and D also and chose D. However, now when I read option D again, it says the customers will get access to new information TECHNOLOGIES. The access to new information technologies has nothing to do with saying the demand for travel agents services is not going to reduce (weakening the conclusion)

Therefore, Option B is the answer

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 181

GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V26
GPA: 3.68

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 20:28
We should focus on the word "drastically"

B seems like strengthen the argument but definitely weaken the word "drastically".

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 181

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 302

Schools: LBS '18

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 02:08
aniec wrote:

A. Travel agents routinely use the internet and other new information technologies as sources for the information they obtain for their customers.

C. Many people use travel-related services, such as airlines and hotels without consulting a travel agent.

information technologies

population

I seriously don't understand why is this question in DEBATABLE OA category[/color]
the question is clear cut and concise

My analysis
Conclusion :Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced
Premise is that the with the use of internet most of the information that travel agents provide can readily be obtained by themselves
Assumption
Most Customers will organize the information they readily gather from the internet
p.s. i am using MOST in my assumption because the conclusion is strong enough to use the word DRASTICALLY .

We have to weaken the conclusion
Clearly, if i go against the conclusion (( and my stated assumption)), what if customers are given so many
options at their dispense that they are confused and therefore, are not able to organize their travel plans. Too many options create perplexity

POE
a) if both agents and customers are using internet , then this doesn't affects the conclusion. Maybe, customers may find better options , maybe agents. The issue is organizing
b)this is the right choice. What if customer is bombarded with so many options that he is confused and perplexed . Therefore, after making so many or so less choices can't organize them accordingly
c) its just a fact that used to happen in the past before the advent of large scores of information on Internet, and same is the case now. These people never affected the travel agent's salary before nor will they do now
d) well again this is a gain from using travel agents services , so possibly not a weakner.
e) May be confusing to some people, but consider this .
the conclusion states that the income of travel agents will be affected drastically .So , a few can't create a drastic effect.
Also , there is no mention that these few people really employ travel agents to book their travels. No effect

:)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 302

Re: Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 02:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap