GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 11:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2010, 02:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (00:52) correct 39% (01:02) wrong based on 1608 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their living by gathering, organizing, and dispensing information about travel-related services that is not readily available to most consumers. Through new information technologies, such as the internet much of this information can now be made directly available to consumers. Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. Travel agents routinely use the internet and other new information technologies as sources for the information they obtain for their customers.

B. The amount of information available through the internet and other new information technologies is increasing
faster than the capabilities of most consumers to process it

C. Many people use travel-related services, such as airlines and hotels without consulting a travel agent.

D. The people who currently use the services of travel agents are also those most likely to gain access to new
information technologies

E. The internet and other new information technologies are currently used by a relatively small proportion of the
population
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 20:52
aritranew wrote:
Hello,

I had chosen 'E'. I was in a dilemma whether to pick B or E. Will anyone kindly explain me the logic by which 'B' wins? Thank you all in advance!

Hi aritranew,

B. The amount of information available through the internet and other new information technologies is increasing
this wins over E because it tells us that even though the material is avail on line and people have access to it, travel agents will still be in demand because it is not easy for people to collate and infer from vast amount of source avail on net so people will finally revert to travel agent...

E. The internet and other new information technologies are currently used by a relatively small proportion of the
population
here it tells us that the net and other new information technologies are currently used by a relatively small proportion of the
population so may be today people bank upon travel agents for info but what happens in future when these tech becomes accessible to most of the people.. we have no surety that they would still go back to travel agents.. so it does not weaken the argument , it only tells us that may be the damage is not now but possibly in near future..

hope it was clear

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 02:06
aniec wrote:
Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their living by gathering, organizing, and dispensing information about travel-related services that is not readily available to most consumers. Through new information technologies, such as the internet much of this information can now be made directly available to consumers. Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced

A. Travel agents routinely use the internet and other new information technologies as sources for the information they obtain for their customers.

C. Many people use travel-related services, such as airlines and hotels without consulting a travel agent.

D. The people who currently use the services of travel agents are also those most likely to gain access to new
information technologies

population

This is a very beautiful GMAT question, which has a lot of traps.

Where are the traps? The GMAT likes using qualifiers to lure test takers into traps. So what are the qualifiers here? Present and future.

The conclusion states, "Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced."

We are asked to WEAKEN the question. But read the conclusion carefully. We are talking about the FUTURE. Any answer choice that DOES NOT address the FUTURE is wrong. Now look at these answer choices:

information technologies --- This may be true. But does it affect the conclusion that the demand for services WILL BE (FUTURE) will be drastically reduced?

population --- This may be true. But does it affect the conclusion that the demand for services WILL BE (FUTURE) will be drastically reduced?

Do not get me wrong. During my early prep I always made this error. Seems to me this is one of GMAC's favourite traps.

What are other examples of this? I wrote them in my notebook. The pattern in questions (OG, GMAT PREP, Exam Pack, everything!) is just too obvious.

Conclusion: talks about strength of the wooden sled (this is from OG, I will not forget this question)
Wrong answer choice: correct but talks about plastic sled (very tempting)

Conclusion: talks about sales
Wrong answer choice: correct but talks about profitability

Conclusion: talks about market share
Wrong answer choice: correct but talks about costs

Conclusion: talks about future viability of growing cotton plants (this is from GMAT Prep)
Wrong answer choice: correct but talks about soy plants (remember this answer choice?)

KUDOS for being passionate? :P

I am the champ! Mayweather who?!

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2010, 03:30
aniec wrote:
Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their living by gathering, organizing, and dispensing information about travel-related services that is not readily available to most consumers through new information technologies, such as the internet much of this information can now be made directly available to consumers. Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced

A. Travel agents routinely use the internet and other new information technologies as sources for the information they obtain for their customers. Irrelevant

faster than the capabilities of most consumers to process itthis strengthens the argument since travel agents will be required if the consumers cannot thmselves process the information.

C. Many people use travel-related services, such as airlines and hotels without consulting a travel agent. Irrelevant.The question is not how they consumers travel but whther they use they use the services of the travel agents or not.

information technologies Correct.If the people who currently use the services of the travel agents gain access to new info technologies, the utility of a travel agent is lost.It mosts seriously weakens the argument.

populationThis option talks about people in general who use the IT services and just about the people who use the services of a travel agent.

OA plz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2010, 06:00
I think OA is right

The argument says that demand for travel agents will be reduced.
We're looking for a statement that says the opposite; i.e demand for travel agents will increase.

B does that. B weakens the argument that demand for travel agent will reduce.
It says there is too much information available for use by consumers. Consumers will thus look to travel agents to organize it for them. And so demand for travel agents will increase.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2010, 21:24
anyone can explain why D is not correct?
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2010, 23:57
aniec wrote:
anyone can explain why D is not correct?

Look, the argument from the passage is:
Code:
Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced

They ask you to weaken the argument, while (D) says:

Code:
The people who currently use the services of travel agents are also those most likely to gain access to new
information technologies

Doesn't it mean that current customers will switch to services provided by internet? If so, travel agents would loose current clients and demand for their services would be reduced.

(D) strengthens the argument, not weakens it
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Human Resources, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 13:08
Hello,

I had chosen 'E'. I was in a dilemma whether to pick B or E. Will anyone kindly explain me the logic by which 'B' wins? Thank you all in advance!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2015, 08:30
The first problem in this question is that it is not the full version of Gmat Exam pack 1's question. A very important in the conclusion is omitted.

"Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their living by gathering, organizing, and dispensing information about travel-related services that is not readily available to most consumers. Through new information technologies, such as the internet much of this information can now be made directly available to consumers. Therefor, as more consumers gain access to these new technologies, demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced.

And this explains why many confused in wrong choices D and E.

D says: "The people who currently use the services of travel agents are also those most likely to gain access to new
information technologies ". This statement actually strengthens the argument because these people are going to be able to access to information in internet as well as in other technologies, thus leaving the travel agents => INCORRECT

E says: "The internet and other new information technologies are currently used by a relatively small proportion of the
population". On the one hand, this statement does not affect the conclusion, as the conclusion says "as more consumers gain access to these new technologies...", so we don't care about "currently small proportion".

On the other hand, statement E could strengthen the conclusion because if currently the proportion of people gaining access to internet is low, then the impact of a larger proportion on the travel agents will be huge. However, if this statement had been like "the proportion of people gaining access to internet currently is very large, say 99%", then the conclusion would have been weaken because there could not have "drastic reduction".

However, for the OA B, I still could not figure out how it could weaken the conclusion. It says that "the capabilities of consumers to process information is increasing lower than the amount of information is". It does not mean that consumer cannot process information. So in order to infer that consumers will have to come back to travel agents, we actually need an important assumption.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rotman '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 17:19

Implies that consumers will still need travel agents to "gather, organize, and dispense information" because consumers aren't capable of processing the overload of information from the internet.

information technologies

Potentially strengthens the argument that consumers will have less need for travel agents thereby leading to the argument's conclusion that "demand for travel agents" will fall significantly. Our goal is to weaken, not strengthen.
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Aug 2016, 08:23
The question is tricky if you slip up on the rules of CR.

The correct answer is B

Premise 1) Travel agent livelihood is gathering, organising, distributing (off course on demand and after getting paid) information related to tourism.
Premise 2) Such info was earlier not available to common customers.
Premise 3) Now internet will make such information available to all people.
Conclusion)Travel agents will be outdated.

Weaken the conclusion) :- Remember premise 1 :- Its the full time work of travel agent to deal with travel info , organise it and distribute it and All such info is not available to any normal person; meaning travel agents are accustomed in dealing with such kind of information (be it rare or voluminous or difficult to understand)

What if despite the availability of such information on internet normal people can't understand it , or cannot process it or cannot handle the amount of such volume which is very large. Then despite being available the information is practically useless for a common man. If they cannot process it, they cannot use it. If they cannot use it they will need help. Who will come to help. A person who is a master is dealing with such information. Who is that person- the travel agent. He is not going to become obsolete soon my friend :)

information technologies

population

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 22 Jun 2016, 08:41.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 13 Aug 2016, 08:23, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 09:00
choose B.

this choice was my prethinking after i read the argument w/o reading answer choices

my prethinking-that if internet is available to all but what if consumers are not able to find or it is out of their capability or not in their scope.
may give them tension searching and all.some to avoid tension for couple of dollars

And when i read B i quickly marked it ,but read all other choices for 2nd opinion.

none weakened as much as B did.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 04:59

Demand for the service of travel agent will not drastically reduced when these factors are in play
1> Convenience and time saving
2> Information overload leading to confusion so need help from Travel agent
3> Even information is available, consumer doesn't know that how to do booking and other stuff
4> what if corporate hires travel agent more
5> Some rural sector grow

Correct.

information technologies :- I feel this is strengthener.

population
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: LBS '18, ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 03:08
aniec wrote:

information technologies

population

I seriously don't understand why is this question in DEBATABLE OA category[/color]
the question is clear cut and concise

My analysis
Conclusion :Demand for the services of travel agents will be drastically reduced
Premise is that the with the use of internet most of the information that travel agents provide can readily be obtained by themselves
Assumption
Most Customers will organize the information they readily gather from the internet
p.s. i am using MOST in my assumption because the conclusion is strong enough to use the word DRASTICALLY .

We have to weaken the conclusion
Clearly, if i go against the conclusion (( and my stated assumption)), what if customers are given so many
options at their dispense that they are confused and therefore, are not able to organize their travel plans. Too many options create perplexity

POE
a) if both agents and customers are using internet , then this doesn't affects the conclusion. Maybe, customers may find better options , maybe agents. The issue is organizing
b)this is the right choice. What if customer is bombarded with so many options that he is confused and perplexed . Therefore, after making so many or so less choices can't organize them accordingly
c) its just a fact that used to happen in the past before the advent of large scores of information on Internet, and same is the case now. These people never affected the travel agent's salary before nor will they do now
d) well again this is a gain from using travel agents services , so possibly not a weakner.
e) May be confusing to some people, but consider this .
the conclusion states that the income of travel agents will be affected drastically .So , a few can't create a drastic effect.
Also , there is no mention that these few people really employ travel agents to book their travels. No effect

:)
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 06:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their &nbs [#permalink] 04 Oct 2018, 06:32

Travel agents are market intermediaries who make their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap