Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:45 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22078 [8]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2291 [8]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [4]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72916 [3]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
TTP Tip of the Day: Do Not Attempt to “Pre-Think” Answers [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I also feel compelled to chime in :lol:

I am a bit of a dinosaur in terms of my prep methods - I studied with the Kaplan books back in the day. I am not sure if they have pioneered the idea of pre-thinking (they definitely did not call it that. Seems like an odd name) but they have definitely put as a strong point of their CR strategy and I felt it worked well for me. Yes, it is harder to do pre-thinking than to read the answer choices and then pick one (even a donkey could pick one out of 5) BUT you save time with pre-thinking on easy and medium CR questions and your accuracy goes up since you don't get tempted by tricky answer choices. It is not perfect - It does not work on hard Cos since they don't use the common logic patterns but with answering CR's in my own words, I could get through a CR in less than 1.5 mins on average, and that's with methodical reading of the passage and reading the question stem first, then passage, and then stem again. Often I could do it even faster.

I have seen a number of people struggle with it and say it is too hard or it does not work for them but I feel that's because they had some unaddressed issues and it was uncovering those. I have seen MGMAT also leverage this strategy so I don't know if it is a rookie mistake. I would say that if it is harder, then why not use it in practice and then transition off it? Seems making your practice harder would not really hurt?
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [1]
Send PM
⏰ TTP Tip of the Day: Do Not Attempt to “Pre-Think” Answers ⏰ [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
I have seen a number of people struggle with it and say it is too hard or it does not work for them but I feel that's because they had some unaddressed issues and it was uncovering those. I have seen MGMAT also leverage this strategy so I don't know if it is a rookie mistake. I would say that if it is harder, then why not use it in practice and then transition off it? Seems making your practice harder would not really hurt?

That transitioning off it approach is interesting, but to me, acing the GMAT is about finding the shortest, easiest ways to arrive at correct answers. So, ideally, practice for CR or any other type of GMAT questions would involve repeatedly going through the motions of finding the shortest, easiest path to the correct answer.

For more on my approach to CR, see this video. You'll see that a person using the approach will avoid traps and arrive at correct answers consistently.

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2291 [4]
Send PM
Re: ⏰ TTP Tip of the Day: Do Not Attempt to “Pre-Think” Answers ⏰ [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
For more on my approach to CR, see this video. You'll see that a person using the approach will avoid traps and arrive at correct answers consistently.

Thanks for posting the video, MartyTargetTestPrep.
Pre-thinking (at least the way I use that term) isn't about predicting the correct answer ahead of time (although that does tend to happen, as a by-product, on easy-medium questions).
Pre-thinking is about going through the reasoning, or, as you put it, focusing on logical implications and making common-sense connections at the argument phase, before going to the answer choices. I'm not sure whether that is what you were calling a gimmick, but if so, I would argue that using reasoning on a reasoning test is by definition not a gimmick.

The advantage of doing so before reading the answer choices is two-fold:
1. Doing so while reading each answer choice requires five iterations rather than just one.
2. Trap answers are designed to poison our mind and flip our logic upside down, so doing the thinking after reading an answer choice is much harder - it's like trying to avoid food poisoning after we've already eaten the expired item.

Regarding the claim that folks might pre-think a trap answer: I am very confident that in such cases they would have picked that trap answer regardless of whether or not they did any pre-thinking.
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
avigutman wrote:
Trap answers are designed to poison our mind and flip our logic upside down, so doing the thinking after reading an answer choice is much harder - it's like trying to avoid food poisoning after we've already eaten the expired item.

I've never seen this issue. From what I've seen, if someone gets the argument and what the question is asking and is skilled in seeing what the logical implications of choices are, he or she won't be fooled one bit by the trap choices.

Also, I think it's worth noting that, by your logic, if people prethink the wrong thing, they may be poisoned by their own prethought idea, which will shield them from being swayed, not just by incorrect choices, but also by the correct answer.

While I agree that considering what the correct answer to a question could be could help you to see certain aspects of the scenario more clearly, I personally can't imagine spending even one second thinking about what the correct answer to a CR question might be. By just paying attention to the logical implications of the choices, you can readily eliminate the ones that have the wrong implications. So, it's as if you're saying that people will not be able to learn to see the logical implications of choices, so they better do something to protect their easily fooled selves from the big bad trap choices.

For me, the key move is to learn to identify the logical implications of choices and statements in passages. If you can do that, you're set. You won't have to spend time prethinking, you won't be fooled by trap choices, and you'll consistently get CR questions correct in well under two minutes each, and I think people can learn to do that.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2291 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
If someone gets the argument and what the question is asking and is skilled in seeing what the logical implications of choices are, he or she won't be fooled one bit by the trap choices.

Agreed. But, that's a lot of ifs, and it's not necessarily the optimal strategy.

By your logic, if people prethink the wrong thing, they may be poisoned by their own prethought idea, which will shield them from being swayed, not just by incorrect choices, but also by the correct answer.

Again, pre-thinking doesn't mean trying to predict the right answer. It means focusing on logical implications and making common-sense connections at the argument phase; thinking deeply about the ways in which the argument is flawed, before going to the answer choices.
If doing so leads a test-taker to pick the wrong answer, it is my claim that this test-taker would have picked the wrong answer regardless.

It's as if you're saying that people will not be able to learn to see the logical implications of choices, so they better do something to protect their easily fooled selves from the big bad trap choices.

Not at all. I'm certain they can learn to see the logical implications of choices. But, if acing the GMAT is about finding the shortest, easiest ways to arrive at correct answers (this is something we agree on), then I maintain that considering the ways in which the argument is flawed before reading the answer choices is the better approach. I suspect that you, MartyTargetTestPrep, do precisely that, either consciously or subconsciously, while you're reading an argument. But I'm open to being wrong about that.
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
avigutman wrote:
It's as if you're saying that people will not be able to learn to see the logical implications of choices, so they better do something to protect their easily fooled selves from the big bad trap choices.

Not at all. I'm certain they can learn to see the logical implications of choices. But, if acing the GMAT is about finding the shortest, easiest ways to arrive at correct answers (this is something we agree on), then I maintain that considering the ways in which the argument is flawed before reading the answer choices is the better approach. I suspect that you, MartyTargetTestPrep, do precisely that, either consciously or subconsciously, while you're reading an argument. But I'm open to being wrong about that.

Actually, I don't think I really do consider the ways in which the argument is flawed. I just take it for what it is and head to the answer choices and let the correct answer do its job.

That said, I'm getting the impression that we're talking about two different things. The prethinking I'm talking about generally does involve coming up with possible answers to the question, whereas the prethinking you're talking about seems to be more focused on analyzing the argument to see how it's flawed, which seems reasonable to me, even if I personally wouldn't bother.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2291 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'm getting the impression that we're talking about two different things. The prethinking I'm talking about generally does involve coming up with possible answers to the question, whereas the prethinking you're talking about seems to be more focused on analyzing the argument to see how it's flawed, which seems reasonable to me, even if I personally wouldn't bother.

To be clear, when I consider the flaws in an argument (and I already know what the question is asking for, since I read it ahead of time), possible correct answers tend to pop into my head automatically (each flaw carries with it an automatic possible correct answer, at least in abstract form). This is why I said earlier that the right answer can be anticipated as a by-product of my pre-thinking - but that's never my goal. Rather, my goal is simply to do a full analysis of the argument (what you refer to as focusing on logical implications and making common-sense connections) - including identifying any flaws or things the author failed to consider - before looking at the answer choices.

To be honest I'm quite surprised to learn that you, MartyTargetTestPrep, don't analyze the argument to see how it's flawed. I would have expected such a strategy to decrease accuracy and increase time. It certainly would for me.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [3]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
The process that works for me, and the one I teach, is similar to what avigutman has explained.

Start by reading the question. Then read the argument and try to identify flaws and assumptions.
Before looking at the answer choices, stop to think. State what you are looking for. This is not the same as predicting the answer. It's more about thinking what the answer "needs to do".

By doing lots of CR questions in this way, test takers may reach a stage in which the process becomes almost automatic.

Of course, some test-takers can do CR questions without following these steps of identifying flaws and stopping to think. Just as many can spot subject-verb or pronoun errors without having to consciously look for the verbs and pronouns in every sentence.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6863 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos