GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 02:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin

  • 25% [2]
  • 75% [6]
  • 0% [0]
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 220
Location: Spain
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 11:30
1
I feel very fortunate to be in this position, but am now a bit confused about what would be the best choice for me... I narrowed down my list to Tuck, Cornell and Vanderbilt. I estimate the overall cost difference (excluding only interests on loans) in about 90-95k between Vanderbilt (cheaper) and Cornell-Tuck, respectively. Money is an important factor for me, since I would probably have to borrow around 50k/60k if I decide to go to Cornell/Tuck.

Tuck: Around 35%

Pros: employment numbers, visited campus and loved it (especially the class experience), brand
Cons: doesnt send many people into CorpFin/Treasury roles, cost

Cornell: Around 25%

Pros: places very well in my target companies and target location, visited and loved the place, brand, immersion (curriculum)
Cons: cost, employment numbers for internationals are not that strong

Vanderbilt: full ride

Pros: sends many people into CorpFin, full ride
Cons: might be difficult to land a job in my target companies/ideal location

Post-MBA goal is to work in CorpFin/Treasury roles in a F500, preferably in the northeast and financial services industry (these are not strong preferences). I am international and I currently don't have a US work permit. I don't care about the weather and believe that the students/alumni of all 3 schools are equally accessible and responsive.

What do you think? Any input on what I should consider besides faculty, community, program, employment numbers...?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 290
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 12:21
1
I think you're overthinking this here. Tuck is a Top 9 school and they've offered you a scholarship. Johnson is a solid program but given they offered you less money than Tuck and Tuck is widely regarded to be the better program, I don't see a reason to choose them over Tuck. Vanderbilt is in a completely different tier and despite the full ride, I wouldn't consider that option unless you're dead set on working in the Nashville area.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 19026
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Dec 2015, 13:23
1
CONGRATULATIONS! Fantastic Job!

Yes, Owen is a regional school that has good pull in TN and that area but it does not compete with Duke or even UNC/McCombs. I have had a few friends attend Owen and they were proud of it, proud to be students, and I think felt confident. At the same time, Tuck and Cornell are the old Ivy League schools. Both Johnson and Tuck are in the northeast where you can rely on the school recruiting and local interviews; the only way Owen would help is make you stand out where someone from the south may give you more advantage but since you are an international applicant and share very little culture with southerners, it is an unlikely outcome.

Being from Spain, it may be a consideration which school to attend in terms of better financing options. You may not have to borrow anything for Owen but even for living expenses you will need $50-70K for the 2 years to be somewhat focused on school and not having to have a PT job. In the long term $70K is probably immaterial since a higher ranked school will tend to give you better access to higher paid jobs. Thus I would not as much focus on the money unless you are unable to get loans for the other schools and Owen becomes your only choice.

Taking the money out of the equation, does it make the choice easier?

P.S. I think you will be happier in Northeast as an international person; more of us there :-)
_________________

Originally posted by bb on 19 Dec 2015, 13:19.
Last edited by bb on 19 Dec 2015, 13:23, edited 2 times in total.
Edit
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 220
Location: Spain
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 13:30
Thanks for both of your inputs!

To answer your question, bb , if money weren't an issue, then I Vanderbilt would probably out of the equation. I reckon that the money I'll need to borrow will probably mean nothing in the long term, but I don't like the idea of being financially constrained for several years, especially while I don't have a job...

In terms of funding options, I know that it won't be a problem if I attend Tuck. I'm not sure about Cornell though... Maybe someone can comment on this? Would it be difficult to get around $60k of funding at Cornell?

Thanks again!
Best,
kheown
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2013
Posts: 188
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 13:44
1
kheown wrote:
I feel very fortunate to be in this position, but am now a bit confused about what would be the best choice for me... I narrowed down my list to Tuck, Cornell and Vanderbilt. I estimate the overall cost difference (excluding only interests on loans) in about 90-95k between Vanderbilt (cheaper) and Cornell-Tuck, respectively. Money is an important factor for me, since I would probably have to borrow around 50k/60k if I decide to go to Cornell/Tuck.

Tuck: Around 35%

Pros: employment numbers, visited campus and loved it (especially the class experience), brand
Cons: doesnt send many people into CorpFin/Treasury roles, cost

Cornell: Around 25%

Pros: places very well in my target companies and target location, visited and loved the place, brand, immersion (curriculum)
Cons: cost, employment numbers for internationals are not that strong

Vanderbilt: full ride

Pros: sends many people into CorpFin, full ride
Cons: might be difficult to land a job in my target companies/ideal location

Post-MBA goal is to work in CorpFin/Treasury roles in a F500, preferably in the northeast and financial services industry (these are not strong preferences). I am international and I currently don't have a US work permit. I don't care about the weather and believe that the students/alumni of all 3 schools are equally accessible and responsive.

What do you think? Any input on what I should consider besides faculty, community, program, employment numbers...?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!


As a Tuckie I am biased, but I think BB hit it on the head. Tuck is a tier up on Cornell and gave you more money, so that should be fairly straightforward. What are you looking at specifically in corp fin? I'd be happy to discuss as I am going into a corp fin role post-Tuck.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 19026
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 13:46
1
kheown wrote:
....I don't like the idea of being financially constrained for several years, especially while I don't have a job...
kheown


Feeling a bit outside of your comfort zone? 8-) Ultimately MBA will boost your career, even from a lowly ranked school. What you gain with higher ranked schools is some advantage during those few years out of school when you are most vulnerable. The on-campus recruiting and network for internships/etc. Which program will offer you the best protection/options/next steps for your career? Which can offer you the best internships?

Additionally I can suggest that you visit both schools in person if you have done that yet. It is $2-3K for flights/hotels and a nice vacation. Check them both out and see how you feel.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 220
Location: Spain
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 13:56
Flyte wrote:
As a Tuckie I am biased, but I think BB hit it on the head. Tuck is a tier up on Cornell and gave you more money, so that should be fairly straightforward. What are you looking at specifically in corp fin? I'd be happy to discuss as I am going into a corp fin role post-Tuck.


Thank you Flyte !

I'm especially interested in origination, capital management and FP&A roles, but I wouldn't mind exploring other options.

I will PM you to discuss further if you don't mind :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 35
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Owen '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 07:41
1
Just providing a bit of balance in here since it sounds like you're looking for advice across all of the programs to which you've been admitted. All great options, and as far as personality types, you'll find a lot of similarities between students at Tuck and Owen.

I'd pretty fiercely contest some of the assertions that others have made below. Owen may have a very strong brand in the region, but that does not a regional program make. You'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere in the US where Vanderbilt isn't mentioned as one of the strongest and fastest-climbing institutions. We may not have the same recruiters coming as larger institutions, but that's a function of yield (easier to get 10 students from a class of 500 than 160) rather than capability.

To be perfectly candid, however, if your goal is to work in financial services, you may have to face the challenge of some pretty elitist egos. I've found that Owen is only disparaged by those who tie their personal success to the latest US News ranking of their alma mater. But again, you'll have no problem getting an amazing job, and importantly, you'll have 2 years in one of the most exciting cities in the country.
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Current Tuckie!
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 541
Location: United Kingdom
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 11:20
1
kheown wrote:
Flyte wrote:
As a Tuckie I am biased, but I think BB hit it on the head. Tuck is a tier up on Cornell and gave you more money, so that should be fairly straightforward. What are you looking at specifically in corp fin? I'd be happy to discuss as I am going into a corp fin role post-Tuck.


Thank you Flyte !

I'm especially interested in origination, capital management and FP&A roles, but I wouldn't mind exploring other options.

I will PM you to discuss further if you don't mind :)


Treasury/FP&A roles are abundant at Tuck especially in F500 firms. Since it is also a more targeted career path, it is also not enormously competitive. The only reason not many Tuckies go into corpfin roles is mostly because strategy roles are very popular at the moment and corpfin less so. There are just frankly fewer Tuck applicants for those roles. What that does mean is that you are not competing against a bunch of classmates for the same job. In fact, I would say that is a potential upside.

As a second year, I can tell you that the short term constraint of loans really does not come into it much because the job you secure should provide you with a very comfortable lifestyle even with loan repayments.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 220
Location: Spain
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 09:19
1
I finally matriculated to Tuck! So excited to get to Hanover in August! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2016, 09:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck vs Cornell vs Vanderbilt for CorpFin

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne