GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 01:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck vs Ross

new topic post reply Update application status  

Tuck or Ross?

• 68% [17]
  • 32% [8]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Tuck vs Ross  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 15:46
Hi all!

This week I received the very good news that I've been accepted into both Tuck and Ross. The bad news is it looks like their admitted students weekends are the same weekend, so I can't go to both. I have visited both schools before for interviews, but I didn't get a strong sense one way or the other from those visits. I'm looking not just for advice on where to go, but people's perception of the culture and fit of the respective communities. For reference, I am mostly looking to pivot into corporate strategy, leadership development programs, or potentially even tech PM (no real prior tech experience though, which could be a deal breaker) from a data analytics background.​

Traditionally, it looks like Tuck has been the stronger program, but recently that gap seems to have basically closed (US News just ranked Ross tied for #10 and Tuck at #12).

Tuck pros:
-small class size (280 vs Ross 430) and lack of part-time or executive MBA offerings mean more access to faculty and probably a tighter-knit community
-I've heard multiple people talk about how incredibly happy Tuckies are. This was a very unique theme that I didn't quite get at other schools, so it stood out to me. Maybe that's just reflective of the supposed "party culture" that some have labelled Tuck with, which I certainly wouldn't mind, but isn't a priority for me.
-I've heard that securing good housing in Ann Arbor can be difficult, but that doesn't seem to be much of a concern at Tuck
-Perhaps the stronger brand? But if so it doesn't seem by much anymore (see most recent rankings).

Ross pros:
-Ann Arbor seems to be a much more lively town than Hanover, especially with Detroit nearby for concerts, sports, etc.
-Travelling out of Ann Arbor is MUCH easier than Hanover, where you have to drive 2-3 hours just to get to an airport
-Ross seems like it might place better into tech, if I decide to go down that route
-Ross has better placement in areas outside of the Northeast, and I may want to go West after graduation
-Ross seems like it might have a wider variety of courses to offer than Tuck

I'd say my priorities are, in order:
1) Having the strongest job prospects possible across the functions mentioned above (corp strat, LDP's, & tech PM): edge unclear, perhaps Ross because tech?
2) Having a tight-knit community: edge Tuck?
3) Having a good community for my partner: both seem great in this regard
4) Having a fun/memorable experience: edge Tuck?
5) Having a vibrant town to live in: edge Ross?
6) Nice weather: edge... nobody lol

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Tuck vs Ross  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 03:36
Hi spaz4444

Congrats for you both great schools.

Have you secured any scholarship from any?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 11:16
Mo2men
Unfortunately, no funding from either.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Tuck vs Ross  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 13:28
spaz4444 wrote:
Hi all!

This week I received the very good news that I've been accepted into both Tuck and Ross. The bad news is it looks like their admitted students weekends are the same weekend, so I can't go to both. I have visited both schools before for interviews, but I didn't get a strong sense one way or the other from those visits. I'm looking not just for advice on where to go, but people's perception of the culture and fit of the respective communities. For reference, I am mostly looking to pivot into corporate strategy, leadership development programs, or potentially even tech PM (no real prior tech experience though, which could be a deal breaker) from a data analytics background.​

Traditionally, it looks like Tuck has been the stronger program, but recently that gap seems to have basically closed (US News just ranked Ross tied for #10 and Tuck at #12).

Tuck pros:
-small class size (280 vs Ross 430) and lack of part-time or executive MBA offerings mean more access to faculty and probably a tighter-knit community
-I've heard multiple people talk about how incredibly happy Tuckies are. This was a very unique theme that I didn't quite get at other schools, so it stood out to me. Maybe that's just reflective of the supposed "party culture" that some have labelled Tuck with, which I certainly wouldn't mind, but isn't a priority for me.
-I've heard that securing good housing in Ann Arbor can be difficult, but that doesn't seem to be much of a concern at Tuck
-Perhaps the stronger brand? But if so it doesn't seem by much anymore (see most recent rankings).

Ross pros:
-Ann Arbor seems to be a much more lively town than Hanover, especially with Detroit nearby for concerts, sports, etc.
-Travelling out of Ann Arbor is MUCH easier than Hanover, where you have to drive 2-3 hours just to get to an airport
-Ross seems like it might place better into tech, if I decide to go down that route
-Ross has better placement in areas outside of the Northeast, and I may want to go West after graduation
-Ross seems like it might have a wider variety of courses to offer than Tuck

I'd say my priorities are, in order:
1) Having the strongest job prospects possible across the functions mentioned above (corp strat, LDP's, & tech PM): edge unclear, perhaps Ross because tech?
2) Having a tight-knit community: edge Tuck?
3) Having a good community for my partner: both seem great in this regard
4) Having a fun/memorable experience: edge Tuck?
5) Having a vibrant town to live in: edge Ross?
6) Nice weather: edge... nobody lol

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Hello spaz4444

Congrats on admission to both very good business schools :thumbup:

I would agree regarding weather :-D

I still think Tuck is stronger brand and better choice, after all Tuck/Dartmouth is Ivy league man. :cool:

FT Global MBA Ranking 2019 does corroborate that story :

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2019

Tuck is on 15. place globally and does offer $173,636 weighted salary vs. Ross being on 28. place with $157,727 offer, on average.

Forbes puts Tuck on high 5. place nationally vs. Ross being on 12. place, providing also better 5 year gain and higher salary figures, if you choose Tuck :

https://www.forbes.com/business-schools/list/

And yes I am aware that in recent US News rankings they are tied.

Here are hiring companies for Tuck, for class 2018 only, 24% of them went to tech :

A.T. Kearney

Goldman Sachs

Adobe

Google

Altman Vilandrie & Co.

Harris Williams & Co.

Amazon

Innosight

Analysis Group

Intel

Anheuser-Busch InBev

JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Bain & Company

L.E.K. Consulting

Bank of America Merrill Lynch

Liberty Mutual

Barclays

McKinsey & Company

Boston Consulting Group

Microsoft

Bridgewater Associates

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Cargill

Morgan Stanley

Citi

Nestlé

Colgate-Palmolive

EY-Parthenon

Corning

QuintilesIMS

Credit Suisse

Sanofi

CVS Health

UBS

Danaher

Vanguard

DaVita

VMware

Deloitte

Walmart

Ecolab

Wayfair

General Mills

https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/care ... -companies

No need for me to bold tech ones for you, you will recognize them easily ;)

Here is also full time employment report for 2018 class, with a lot of useful details, that can be downloaded from here :

https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/uploads/ ... report.pdf

Here are details for Ross in terms of employment, 27% went to tech :

https://michiganross.umich.edu/graduate ... yment-data

Here is full employment report for Ross, that can be downloaded from here :

https://michiganross.umich.edu/sites/de ... ss_mba.pdf

I dont see Strategy specialization at Ross, but I do see it at Tuck for instance.

I do see good Data and Business Analytics Concentration from Ross, but you said you want to pivot from that into something different.

Anyway, that should be only your decision, how well curriculum reflects your needs.

All in all, my vote seems to go to Tuck, I personally would go to Ivy league Tuck :cool:, having said that, I don't think you will get wrong with Ross also.

Good Luck :geek: :cool:
S
Schools: Duke '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 15:32
Congrats on your admits! I think you were generally spot on with your assessment so I would choose based on fit as the opportunity set will be even. Unlike the poster above, I don't think the "ivy league" membership is relevant or means anything...especially at the grad level.

One thing to note, given that you have a partner, you will not be allowed to live in the dorm attached to Tuck, but rather in Sachem Village, about a 10-15 min drive away. This might be a non-factor for you, but when my partner and I were making our decision and visited I'll admit we felt a little bit removed from the action (couldn't walk into town or to school, etc).

Again, you can't go wrong, but given your specific situation some things jumped out on me that point to Ross. 1) job prospects for partner 2) tech placement 3) geographic reach of alum

You are likely correct that Tuck may have historically held a slight edge in prestige but I would argue that is no longer the case, and the employment outcomes (and more recent rankings) seem to confirm that.

Good luck! Can't go wrong here. Also feel free to PM, I obviously made a different decision in the end but spent a great deal of time weighing the options and had a similar list of priorities!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 20:56
Tuck is a much stronger overall program, unless you hated it in hanover, I'd go there
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.83

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 03:43
I would suggest going to the Tuck admit weekend. If you think you wouldn’t mind being in Hanover for 2 years, go to Tuck. If you think you would feel trapped there and that type of (unique) experience is not for you, go Ross.

Tuck is more make or break if you ask me— it’s very unique

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 06:11
I feel Tuck still is a stronger and more exclusive brand despite the rankings snafu's. It is a 100+ year old BSchool. One year of rankings does not capture its spirit or legacy :)

The alum network is stronger and tighter at Tuck. I would also suggest going to the Tuck admit weekend and before that potentially connecting with some folks about Tech recruiting and how much on-campus Tech is present - i assume it is the usual suspects of MS, AMZ, etc but perhaps some interesting options too from others like Google or Apple or FB - I would be interested in that for your profile. Tuck does place a lot into consulting roles so I would be curious what companies are on campus besides the consulting.

Congratulations on your admits!

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck vs Ross   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2019, 06:11

Tuck vs Ross

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste